Malwarebytes Version Change again without communication!!!

I arrived at the office this morning to another Malwarebytes version upgrade without any warning, communication or advance notice of any kind. I checked the forums, no mention of an upgrade last night.

Half of our servers were consuming more than 50% CPU and had big memory spikes due to Malwarebytes Service. Malwarebytes Agent was stopped and the servers were hung up. I look back at our downtime root cause log and 90% of our downtime has been caused by Malwarebytes.  I was really hoping for some change after the last big weekend of downtime, but it doesn't seem like it's getting any better. I submit help desk tickets and they take far too long to respond.  When they do respond, it's like they didn't even read the ticket because they ask me to do everything that I've already tried and explained in the ticket. 

Is there any hope on things getting better? Any hope on communication?

On 2/23/2018 at 12:13 PM, nsparks said:

Sent. Please let me know what you discover.

Oh.

So they did push out another update without notifying us?

I guess that DOES explain all the problems I've been having this week.

I think they fixed it so that MWAB doesn't show up as the culprit anymore, just 100% CPU and memory used, but nothing actually using it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 11:58 AM, IT_Guy said:

Oh.

So they did push out another update without notifying us?

I guess that DOES explain all the problems I've been having this week.

I think they fixed it so that MWAB doesn't show up as the culprit anymore, just 100% CPU and memory used, but nothing actually using it.

THEY DID IT AGAIN!!!! Last night they pushed out an Engine Update to 1.1.0.275. Half of our servers were spiking CPU this morning - March 9th - and I've sent in tickets. Now I get to spend the morning cleaning up the mess and trying to give our environment usable servers. I wish someone would communicate the upgrades!!! 

I came in this morning and my workstation was painful to work on… Once task manager came up – I see Malwarebytes service is consuming CPU again. I logged into the cloud console and have no endpoints - they must have upgraded that too. Once I rebooted my workstation I could finally get the CPU down enough to open the browser back up and see that half of my servers are spiking CPU. I BEG OF YOU - COMMUNICATE UPGRADES!!!!!!

I will now spend the day verifying our servers are all up and operational for the plant. I thought you all were supposed to communicate when we were getting an upgrade!!!!

This is becoming a serious issue!

To be fair, this time I did receive notification on Monday, March 5th that they would be pushing out an update lastnight at 8pm EST.

Looks like most of the improvements were adding Mac functionality, also introduced 5 known issues with Macs.

They did send out an email on Monday telling us this was coming, they didn't mention it breaking anything though.

A nice feature they have finally added in is Database versions for the asset report. You can dump all your asset information into an excel file, then filter out the duplicate endpoints (it puts in a separate endpoint record for each piece of software installed) and what you will be left with is just your endpoints with their versions of databases. You can hide the unrelevant columns and go from there.

That being said, I am slightly concerned that across 81 endpoints, I have 17 different Protection Update Versions. At least now I can check these relatively quickly.

Interesting, I haven't seen that link before. I wonder if you can subscribe to it and get notified of anything that gets posted.

The information in the topic about yesterdays update is the same information that was included in the email.

49 minutes ago, IT_Guy said:

They did send out an email on Monday telling us this was coming, they didn't mention it breaking anything though.

A nice feature they have finally added in is Database versions for the asset report. You can dump all your asset information into an excel file, then filter out the duplicate endpoints (it puts in a separate endpoint record for each piece of software installed) and what you will be left with is just your endpoints with their versions of databases. You can hide the unrelevant columns and go from there.

That being said, I am slightly concerned that across 81 endpoints, I have 17 different Protection Update Versions. At least now I can check these relatively quickly.

One of the managers - Jeff - called me this morning. They show having sent us an email, but we never got it. I checked our email filter and it never arrived. He also told me about the website. I have it book marked so I can check it often and at least know when an upgrade is coming. 

I am hoping they can figure out what is keeping the Malwarebytes Agent from starting backup  - it seems that if the agent service doesn't restart, then the Malwarebytes service starts consuming resources and never stops.

@nsparks

If you encounter the high CPU usage again, could you right click the mbamservice.exe (Malwarebytes Service) in Task Manager and hit "create dump file". Zip up the file, upload it to filemail.com and PM me the link. I am trying to track down this issue but have not had a user provide the dump WHILE mbamservice.exe was using high CPU. If we can get a good dump while the CPU is being throttled, I can get our developers to work on a fix ASAP. 

Thank you

1 hour ago, vbarytskyy said:

@nsparks

If you encounter the high CPU usage again, could you right click the mbamservice.exe (Malwarebytes Service) in Task Manager and hit "create dump file". Zip up the file, upload it to filemail.com and PM me the link. I am trying to track down this issue but have not had a user provide the dump WHILE mbamservice.exe was using high CPU. If we can get a good dump while the CPU is being throttled, I can get our developers to work on a fix ASAP. 

Thank you

I found two more that were high CPU on malwarebytes service. I have FRST scans and Malwarebytes service dump files uploaded on ticket 00053141. 1.65 GB of data.

Hope this helps!!

Nance

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

We've put the warning system in place at the beginning of March. The emails are coming from "Malwarebytes Product Team <info@malwarebytes.com>" with the subject line like "Malwarebytes cloud console – Scheduled Downtime", they are sent to all email addresses that have a logon to the cloud product. These email's notifications are also replicated on this sticky thread (you can subscribe to this thread) - 

And the front page of the KB / Support page - https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/business