candylovergirl

MBAM 3.4.4 issue renaming folders

Hi,

If I want to rename a folder I have to quit MBAM, 

In order to fix this issue I had to uninstall the product using mb-clean-3.1.0.1031.exe

And then  Re install MBAM v3.4.4

No Luck

The problem persist.

Thanks

Came

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hello, @candylovergirl -  There are a couple of workarounds for this.

1. Wait a few minutes and you should be able to rename

2. Disable the Ransomware Protection temporarily during the rename.

54 minutes ago, tetonbob said:

Hello, @candylovergirl -  There are a couple of workarounds for this.

1. Wait a few minutes and you should be able to rename

2. Disable the Ransomware Protection temporarily during the rename.

Thank you, buuuut I don't need any workarounds, back to MBAM 3.3.1.2183, until the new MBAM release

Thanks

Camelia

Edited by candylovergirl
typo

I am experiencing the same thing!  This needs fixing ASAP:excl:  Was searching the net for days trying to find out why this just started...then BINGO, realized I just updated MBAM to v3.4.4.  I don't want to go back to the prior version as long as a FIX is in the very near future.

" Wait a few minutes and you should be able to rename "  < Not working, even after reboot.

Edited by jet

Yeah, a reboot won't do it because it starts the timing all over again.  The issue is that a component of protection is actively monitoring file/folder writes/deletes but is causing issues because it's locking the items from being modified while active.  Waiting a while for it to release its thread/handle on the objects seems to work most of the time, however often times it's quicker to just terminate the protection component or exit Malwarebytes temporarily while you modify whatever file/folder you were altering/removing/moving etc.

The fix is currently being worked on and is planned for the next release if all goes well in testing.  You can also watch the beta forum here to see when the new version is made available for public testing if you want to try it out once the new build with the fix is published there or if you just want to see how testing goes for other users impacted by this issue.

3 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Yeah, a reboot won't do it because it starts the timing all over again.  The issue is that a component of protection is actively monitoring file/folder writes/deletes but is causing issues because it's locking the items from being modified while active.  Waiting a while for it to release its thread/handle on the objects seems to work most of the time, however often times it's quicker to just terminate the protection component or exit Malwarebytes temporarily while you modify whatever file/folder you were altering/removing/moving etc.

The fix is currently being worked on and is planned for the next release if all goes well in testing.  You can also watch the beta forum here to see when the new version is made available for public testing if you want to try it out once the new build with the fix is published there or if you just want to see how testing goes for other users impacted by this issue.

Any ETA?

None that I'm aware of, but I'm sure that as soon as it is ready and checks out through QA testing that they'll put it up for public beta.  They don't ever want to rush things and end up creating worse problems than the ones they're trying to fix by not doing their due diligence in testing before making a product available to the public so it must go through the entire QA test cycle without being flagged for any critical bugs/issues before a beta will see the light of day.

1 hour ago, daman1 said:

Any ETA?

They are testing a fix according to this post...

I just upgraded (1) of my machines to the latest release.  So far I haven't been able to replicate the problems noted in this thread with Ransomware Protection enabled.  I've cut & pasted and renamed folders without any of the aforementioned problems related.  Does this only happen under certain circumstances?  I'm only asking because I would like to know in case i do see such behavior down the road.   Running Windows 10 with Malwarebytes 3.4.4

1 hour ago, exile360 said:

None that I'm aware of, but I'm sure that as soon as it is ready and checks out through QA testing that they'll put it up for public beta.  They don't ever want to rush things and end up creating worse problems than the ones they're trying to fix by not doing their due diligence in testing before making a product available to the public so it must go through the entire QA test cycle without being flagged for any critical bugs/issues before a beta will see the light of day.

Thanks exile!

Right we don't need another botched update like before.

Edited by daman1

8 minutes ago, becomer said:

I just upgraded (1) of my machines to the latest release.  So far I haven't been able to replicate the problems noted in this thread with Ransomware Protection enabled.  I've cut & pasted and renamed folders without any of the aforementioned problems related.  Does this only happen under certain circumstances?  I'm only asking because I would like to know in case i do see such behavior down the road.   Running Windows 10 with Malwarebytes 3.4.4

For me, I am running Win7, I was just normally renaming some folders and files on my g:\ partition and was getting the popup window that the file is OPEN in another program or something like that .  I didn't try it any where else. 

4 minutes ago, jet said:

For me, I am running Win7, I was just normally renaming some folders and files on my g:\ partition and was getting the popup window that the file is OPEN in another program or something like that .  I didn't try it any where else. 

Well I do have a few Windows 7 boxes to try, so maybe that's where I'll see it..

2 minutes ago, becomer said:

Well I do have a few Windows 7 boxes to try, so maybe that's where I'll see it..

As stated elsewhere, if you encounter that problem just disable Ransomware and the problem was resolved..until a fixed version. 

I've heard speculation that this issue may be hardware dependent meaning it only happens on certain systems where certain specific components and/or drivers are present (or maybe just one or two conflicting drivers, unknown at this point).  I've got 7x64 SP1 here and have had no such issues and QA has already tested this on every OS from XP-10 as I understand it and still have yet to replicate it so I don't think it depends on the OS you're using.  There's some other factor or factors here affecting it that lead to this situation.  That's also why there haven't been a lot more users reporting the issue (the forums would be flooded with posts if every user of a particular OS, especially one as common as 10 or 7 were affected).

On 3/9/2018 at 5:25 AM, candylovergirl said:

Hi,

If I want to rename a folder I have to quit MBAM, 

In order to fix this issue I had to uninstall the product using mb-clean-3.1.0.1031.exe

And then  Re install MBAM v3.4.4

No Luck

The problem persist.

Thanks

Came

When I had this delimna, I disabled the Anti-Ransomware, then I could change file/folder names. Then reenabled it after done.

16 hours ago, exile360 said:

I've heard speculation that this issue may be hardware dependent meaning it only happens on certain systems where certain specific components and/or drivers are present (or maybe just one or two conflicting drivers, unknown at this point).  I've got 7x64 SP1 here and have had no such issues and QA has already tested this on every OS from XP-10 as I understand it and still have yet to replicate it so I don't think it depends on the OS you're using.  There's some other factor or factors here affecting it that lead to this situation.  That's also why there haven't been a lot more users reporting the issue (the forums would be flooded with posts if every user of a particular OS, especially one as common as 10 or 7 were affected).

The users ussually install the more new version and open the firefox and if it works they come here and say the program works ok. The most  have no qlue how to test a program properly.

This is not about you, as i know your nickname and what u offer here.

But  i feel bad because i am a beta tester in above 100 programs,bioses,uefi, drivers and steam games. And usually when i report a bug for a program for example next to me other 3 write the program is ok . i Spent hours to finding them and the most beta users spent 3 minutes and dont find anything. And when someone reads from 50 user that we have no problem usually they believe that it is my pc.

sorry for the long post and the little offtopic.

4 minutes ago, boombastik said:

The users ussually install the more new version and open the firefox and if it works they come here and say the program works ok. The most  have no qlue how to test a program properly.

This is not about you, as i know your nickname and what u offer here.

But  i feel bad because i am a beta tester in above 100 programs,bioses,uefi, drivers and steam games. And usually when i report a bug for a program for example next to me other 3 write the program is ok . i Spent hours to finding them and the most beta users spent 3 minutes and dont find anything. And when someone reads from 50 user that we have no problem usually they believe that it is my pc.

sorry for the long post and the little offtopic.

Right, but when something like this occurs if it isn't specific to a small number of users/systems, we do see a large number of reports about it, but that hasn't been the case at all with this issue.  Besides that, I've also been running the build since it was in beta, am a former QA tester (I was the first QA for Malwarebytes long ago, and I still have a tendency of finding bugs, especially obscure ones when they are hardware agnostic) and I haven't seen the issue; not to mention that ever since the first reports of this, QA themselves have also been trying to replicate this, both on VMs as well as live test systems and their own personal machines, but so far no one has.  The only ones reporting it so far have been a small number of users and even though they've been trying on a multitude of Windows installations in every OS version from XP-10, no one from QA or Support has been able to replicate it.  That's what makes me think that it must be specific to certain conditions because otherwise someone else from the team would have been able to replicate it by now.

That said, there are some issues that I have seen, such as serious performance hits and lag caused by ransomware protection, but I still have yet to be able to replicate the issues with not being able to modify or delete any files or folders or remove any USB drives or other devices (and I have tried all of these with ransomware protection active).  If it were a universal issue that affected all systems, I and QA would have been able to replicate it by now.  It's not that we've had so many users saying that the software works fine, it's that we haven't been able to replicate this and we don't have a ton of users reporting the issues even though we now have a very large number now running version 3.4.4.

Hopefully the fix the Devs came up with corrects it though so it won't matter and hopefully it will be fixed for everybody, but we can't know until we get the beta and some users who are seeing these issues try it out on their affected systems.

Just now, candylovergirl said:

Is this issue completely fixed now?

No its being tested internally at HQ.  There is no release date yet, but its expected end of this month sometime...

1 minute ago, Firefox said:

No its being tested internally at HQ.  There is no release date yet, but its expected end of this month sometime...

Thanks for the update

Came

Greetings all -

We officially released 3.4.5.2467 today.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/225664-malwarebytes-345-patch-release/

This includes a fix which should also address this issue. 

You can download it here https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3/

An install over the top should be fine, but I'll leave that decision in your hands.

Let us know your results.

Thanks!