Malwarebytes 3.4.4 Boots to Black Screen

Go to solution Solved by Reni,

I have nearly the same issues. After updating from 3.3.1 to 3.4.4 everything is working first normal. As soon as i reboot the first time, my windows is frozen shortly after the next logon, approx 20 seconds after login. Booting in safe mode is working.

I get the message "Windows is not responding", when clicking everywhere or try to open Task manager or do something else. Only help, cold boot and boot in safe mode.

I created two logs. The first ist done while doing the setup to 3.4.4 and when everything (before the reboot) is still working.

The second is made afterwards, when Windows frozen and I had to boot in safe mode to uninstall 3.4.4 and reinstall 3.3.1 again to have my computer working again. Hope this helps.

mb-check-results-AfterUpgrade-NoReboot.zip

mb-check-results-AfterRebootwithFreeze.zip

Can you please go to the following link in the version of Chrome that locks up for you?

chrome://gpu

Then right click, Save As -> Complete Webpage and upload the HTML file that gets saved? You may have to zip it as some extensions aren't allowed.

You do not need Malwarebytes installed when you do this.

Edited by dcollins

11 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Can you please go to the following link in the version of Chrome that locks up for you?

chrome://gpu

Then right click, Save As -> Complete Webpage and upload the HTML file that gets saved? You may have to zip it as some extensions aren't allowed.

You do not need Malwarebytes installed when you do this.

attached as gpu.zip

gpu.zip

17 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Thanks, any idea how long it takes for the issue to present itself?

Sorry, no, it seems intermittent, from a few mins to an hour or two.

The last day I've been getting out of Chrome after short sessions, since most people think Chrome does not play well with MB-3.4.4.  I also disabled a few extensions. I have not had any freezes yet.

One of our 2 Thinkpads froze right after rebooting from a Thinkpad update.  I had to hard shutdown again -- hope no files were corrupted as happened previous times when MB3 froze like this.  I reinstalled 3.3.1 over 3.4.4 and turned off Settings -> Application -> Application Updates (2 entries). This time I won't change my mind and try 3.4.4 again.

For 2 Thinkpads, I attach FRST logs generated by mb-support-0.0.9.351.exe -> Gather Logs, and info collected by mb-check-3.1.10.1000.exe, in zipped file T.zip containing 2 folders T1 and T2.  T2 froze this time; a previous report was on T1 freezing.

This is nasty bug on several PCs over a pretty long time.

T.zip

It lock-up, when i click on anything (desktop, startmenu, ...) a small window showing "Windows process is not responding", I can click wait or cancel but nothing more happens. Also CTR ALT DEL is not working. Only way is to press the power button

Edited by Reni