MBAE 1.12 Build 37 - issues with Windows XP

hake

I use Panda Dome with Windows XP. I use a .bat file which is run from a shortcut in a startup folder. The contents of the file are attached. The problem is that since MBAE 1.12.1.37 was installed, the DOS window that .bat runs in will not close. It did close with MBAE 1.11.1.79.

The job of the .bat file is to delete Panda Dome temporary files from the Temp folder in C:\Windows. This untidy arrangement only applies to Windows XP. In later Windows versions the storage is managed invisibly.

Apart from this annoyance, the new MBAE beta works in Windows XP and Windows 7 without raising any other issues.

delete_Panda_temp_files.txt

• Staff

Hi hake,

Thanks for reporting this. While we take a look at this, Can you please try out the following:

1. Provide MBAE logs with the 1.12.1.37 version

• ZIP the entire contents (ALL the files, not just .LOG) of the MBAE user data directory and attach them to your post. The directory is hidden by default so you might have to click on "View -> Hidden items" in Explorer to see it. You can find the logs in the following locations:
    • Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
    • Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
  • ZIP the entire contents of the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (in case of a 64-bit system) or C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (32-bit system)

2.Uninstall 1.12.1.37 and install 1.11.1.79 again and see if the issue persists or not.

Thanks.

Edited by Arthi

Requested files sent by PM. Frustratingly the issue seems to happen only once or twice after the new MBAE beta 1.12.1.37 has been installed. I will persist with the use of this version and report any further occurences.

I can confirm that on reinstating MBAE 1.11.1.79 after first observing the issue late last week that no further occurence of this issue arises.

Just a final comment on the issue. While MBAE 1.12.1.37 was installed, the issue did not always occur at startup. In the chaos of startup, timing probably matters so the intermittency suggests to me that any interference between two or more processes did not happen at every startup. Before and since MBAE 1.12.1.37 was installed and then uninstalled and replaced by MBAE 1.11.1.79, the issue with the behaviour of the .bat initiated cmd.exe process did not and does not occur at all.

• 2 weeks later...

After several false dawns, MBAE 1.12.1.48 has been installed and the Windows XP batch/cmd.exe issue has  been resolved on both affected systems.

Edited by hake