petradelacruz

unwanted pop up ads from www.onlinevideoconverter.com

I have used www.onlinevideoconverter.com a number of times. Ever since my  most recent use, I have been getting unwanted popups (see screenshot below). The interesting thing is that if I click on the ads, they take me to a different website--not to www.onlinevideoconverter.com. It seems that some kind of malware has attached to the onlinevideoconverter website. My adblocker doesn't catch them, and malwarebytes doesn't identify anything either. Any advice/guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 7.54.07 PM.png

Looks like you are using Chrome. There is a known issue where anti-malware apps are able to identify and delete nefarious extensions (Add-ons) but due to some sort of caching mechanism, they continue to function. Not sure whether Malwarebytes has discovered how to overcome this or not.

If  you use a different browser, do you still see these Pop Ups? 

Have adware related Add-ons been previously identified and deletion attempted? If so, do you still see them listed? If still there, try deleting them manually in Chrome.

Do you have any Add-ons that you don't recognize? If so, let us all know their name(s).

You're right, I use Chrome. no, these ads do not pop up when I use Firefox or Safari. Only Chrome. I have gone through and deleted all my extensions except Ad blocker. Not sure what else I can do at this point. Any advice?

*is unsure if this is march this year but wants to help anyway because he can*

Yo so I found this thread trying to deal with a similar problem on my Windows 10 PC with Google Chrome and it turns out there's literally an option button on the ad - You'd avoid it at first thinking it's part of the trap but it turns out this is a very simple fix because pressing that option wheel takes you tooooooo,

Screenshot (305).png

I didn't see this before, but the cause of this problem isn't adware or malware on the computer, it's a problem caused by having given a bad site permission to show you notifications via Chrome. Clicking the Settings button in the notification in the Notification Center should help you remove that permission from that site.