neilbar

Dashboard: "Updates are not current"

Hi, 

I am using Malwarebytes v 3.1.1.505 (check for updates tells me that’s latest) on Mac OSX 10.12.6.

I am seeing a request to buy/subscribe or be downgraded to "free" and lose "real time protection"

I also see the "Updates are Not Current" warning   -  is not subscribing yet my problem? no more updates 'til I buy the application?

when I click on "check for updates" the control panel flashes and then the warning re-appears.

I've read these posts and a previous thread but nothing is shining a light on my issue -

- The suggested "MB clean" appears to be an exe, so I guess that’s windows only process

- I reset the Macs clock, well to be accurate I switched off "set date and time automatically", changed the time manually and then reactivated  "set date and time automatically". The time seems to be correct.

I'd really appreciate any tips please.

thanks

Just a couple of "tips" from me.

Not subscribing does not prevent updates, so that's not your issue.

See if upgrading to MBAM version 3.2 clears this up. You should have received a notice, but selecting "Check for Updates..." from the Malwarebytes menu should take care of it.

If Malwarebytes for Mac is unable to download updates, that means that something is blocking its connection to the update servers. That may be an outgoing firewall application, such as Little Snitch or Lulu, or it may be similar functionality that is blocking outgoing connection attempts within some other anti-virus software.

You will need to review any such software and ensure it is not blocking connections that Malwarebytes needs to function properly. See page 2 in the user guide:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/pdf/guides/Malwarebytes-For-Mac-User-Guide.pdf

In the External Access Requirements section under System Requirements, there is a list of servers that Malwarebytes needs to be able to communicate with. Ensure that none of the following Malwarebytes processes are prevented from accessing those servers:

Malwarebytes Agent
FrontendAgent
RTProtectionDaemon
SettingsDaemon

> In the External Access Requirements section under System Requirements, there is a list of servers that Malwarebytes needs to be able to
> communicate with. Ensure that none of the following Malwarebytes processes are prevented from accessing those servers

How, please?  Mac OS firewall is set to allow malwarebytes.com but I don't see how to allow those different servers.  Do I need to?

Same problem with updates not current but the update button just blinks.

MW Premium 3.4.12, fresh copy downloaded, same issue.

If using only the macOS firewall, then you only need to allow the application and all servers will be accessible. Those instructions about specific servers are only for users with 3rd party firewalls, such as LittleSnitch and Lulu.

I'm using Littlesnitch, so I need those instructions.

MB 3.4.29, Malwarebytes Premium, "Check For Updates" blinks the exclamation point then returns to saying Updates are not current. 
Under Realtime Protection, Updates are not current; blinks "Checking" then returns to warning they're not up to date.

So how do I enable the four links I need to allow?

Questions about the use of Little Snitch are best ask of Objective Development and are somewhat dependent on the version of LS you are using, but I’ll give it a try.

• From the LS menu, select “Little Snitch Rules...”
  • Find all four of the processes listed and make sure that all connections listed for that process show a green dot for allow next to them.
  • If any show a red dot 🔴 for deny, double click it, in the dialog box that comes up click on the popup menu that says Deny and change it to Allow then click the OK button to close the dialog.

I see that after I renewed my premium subscription, I never got an update. Little Snitch created a rule, with the explanation-

"RTProtectionDaemon tried to establish a connection to telemetry.malwarebytes.com. The request was denied automatically during Silent Mode because of an invalid code signature."

That seems a pretty reasonable thing to do, actually. Uninstalling it and installing the current version got past that.

There's at least one bug in Little Snitch which causes it to fail to recognize the current signature. My best guess is that this occurs when a signature changes after an update and LS has cached the old signature. I've run into this with a couple of other apps recently.

I don't know where the bug actually is, but part of it involves an outdated kernel cache, containing old code signing information, that can be refreshed by restarting the computer. It's typically only noticed with Little Snitch, but I don't know if it's actually a bug with how Little Snitch is handling code signature checks or how macOS caches this data.

Thank you.  Alas, I failed to try the most fundamental solution to any computer problem -- who'd have thought power cycling the hardware would fix this!

Thanks folks.  I hope some conversation among Malwarebytes and the LittleSnitch programmers can get rid of this annoyance.