tonski

Safe to Uninstall AVG?

Hi there, I run Malwarebytes 3 on 2 computers, and also have AVG Internet Security on both computers. My AVG Internet Security is coming up for renewal. Is it safe for me to cancel my AVG renewal and just have Malwarebytes 3? Or do you recommend i have both? Regards, Tonski.

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

I will say let the AVG go away. I run only Malwarebytes 3 Premium. I do run scans with Malwarebytes AdwCleaner and Zemana (free) from time to time just to make me feel all warm n fuzzy lol. 

I have ran only Malwarebytes 3 since it came out and never felt like I was vulnerable to anything. I trust it 100%. I even disabled Windows Defender because it likes to eat cpu cycles when I am gaming or doing other things. I tried using another AV while back and it only confirmed my belief in Malwarebytes. 

To each their own, but I stand 100% with Malwarebytes Premium. 

Here is another link to Malwarebytes info. 

Edited by Access Denied

No, MBAM is not an antivirus and cannot replace an antivirus; at least enable Windows defender (if you run Win 8 or Win 10) but do not run without an antivirus!!!!!

Read here:

"David H. Lipman, on 02 Jan 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:snapback.png

...there are services in an Anti Virus that are not fulfilled by MBAM.

• It does not target scripted malware
  • It does not target document files
  • It does not target media files
  • It is still incapable of of removing malicious code that had been prepended, appended or cavity injected into legitimate files such as by a file infecting virus or by a trojan that trojanizes legitimate files ( aka; patches ).
  • It is not MAPI and/or VIM compliant nor does it offer a POP/IMAP Proxy Service.
  • It does not handle legacy malware because Malwarebytes personnel culls it database periodically and only tragets what they call Zero Day malware. Malware that is fresh and new Today and not something that was more prevalent a year or two ago.
An anti virus may intercept email and it will then decode the MIME and scan the body and attachments and flag the email as a Phish, Fraud or some other malicious content. MBAM may have and Anti Exploit module but that is for software exploitation. It does NOTHING for Social Engineering which is the Human Exploit such as those demonstrated in Fraud and Phishing emails.

If one ONLY depends on MBAM they lose the warnings made by traditional anti virus applications that performs scanning the file types MBAM does not target. They lose a layer of protection that an AV provides. So if one has a folder of Wimad trojans and only MBAM is installed, the computer user will never know. However if they had a fully installed Anti Virus solution performing "On Access" and "On Demand scanning on ALL file types, there would be a warning the files are malicious. This an indicator. MBAM will only protect one IFF they try to play a media file and it attempts some not standard media player function. MBAM will not tell you that is a malicious HyperText Application, or that XLS uses malicious macros or that MP3 is a Wimad or that web site has an Embedded IFrame
."

Actually, that's not entirely accurate.  While it is true that the Malware Protection component of Malwarebytes 3 does not target those types of files, other components such as Anti-Exploit do.  For example, if you research what a Wimad Trojan attack consists of, it's a script based attack which exploits the execution of malicious code through Windows Media Player via infected media files (MP3, WMA, WMV etc.), and since Windows Media Player (along with other popular media player software) is among the default protected applications by the exploit protection in Malwarebytes, these types of threats would in fact be stopped before they could infect a system protected by Malwarebytes.

The same is true for other script based malware and especially web browser based attacks such as malicious ads and similar threats as the exploit detection components now integrated into Malwarebytes 3 were designed from the beginning to target in the wild known exploit attacks and vulnerabilities as well as a wide range of potential vulnerabilities, including generic forms of exploit attacks such as buffer overflow attacks and malicious process injection attacks.  This means that because the protection in this component of Malwarebytes does not rely on signatures/databases (unlike typical antivirus software, which can only detect a threat once it has seen it), all Malwarebytes needs to do is see the behavior occur to stop the threat, even if it is a new script/file/attack never before seen by anyone.

Additional information on Wimad Trojans can be found here.  As you can see, its means of attack works by exploiting Windows Media Player to download other malware, the first component of which would be blocked by the Anti-Exploit component in Malwarebytes, the second of which would be stopped by the Web Protection component thus preventing the download of malicious files by blocking known malicious servers that host the malware, and third by the Malware Protection component which should detect the malicious payload that the attack attempts to download.  This means that unlike a traditional antivirus which focuses on the file component of the attack chain, Malwarebytes 3 uses a layered approach which scrutinizes an attack event to stop it much earlier in the attack chain and relying on traditional malware signatures to detect malicious files is a last resort only when an attack has successfully evaded all of the other layers of protection built into Malwarebytes (Anti-Exploit, Web Protection, Anti-Ransomware).

As for phishing and social engineering attacks, if they use any form of malicious code and/or malicious servers known to Malwarebytes, they will be stopped by the Web Protection and other components.  Likewise, if they use any method of exploits such as an infected document/attachment, that will be detected/stopped by the signature-less Anti-Exploit component (infected documents are by far the most common means of attack observed in the wild used in social engineering attacks with their objective being tricking the user into infecting their own system by opening a maliciously crafted document disguised as an innocent and/or official document from a trusted source; something Malwarebytes handles quite effectively, regardless of whether it's seen the file in question before or not, something the vast majority of AVs cannot boast).

As for the culling of older threats from the databases, the only time this is done is when either A the threats targeted by a signature are now covered by a newer, better heuristics signature which covers more threats/families of threats than the previous signature did, or B when the threat is no longer seen in the wild and hasn't been for quite some time (i.e. several months or years) meaning it is no longer out there to infect anyone, thus there is no need to guard against it.  The added benefit is that you don't have to have hundreds of megabytes or even gigabytes of space occupied by many signatures for threats that haven't infected anyone in years (which themselves often rely on vulnerabilities in software that is either no longer used or has long since been updated/patched to be immune to the attack in question; for example, the Sasser and Blaster worms which, since XP SP2, are useless against the Windows operating system).

Now, with all of that said, it is entirely up to you if you wish to use an antivirus alongside Malwarebytes as it has been designed to be compatible with other security software, including antivirus.  We simply do not believe, given the current threat landscape, that it is necessary to run an antivirus with Malwarebytes 3 Premium if you choose not to as it provides an effective layered defense solution on its own, including several signature-less, behavior based protection components which do not require that a threat has actually been seen before in order to stop the attack as well as the more traditional components which do use signatures as well as heuristics to target more threats with fewer definitions as well as newer 0-day variants of existing and unknown threats which are updated multiple times a day (generally 10+ times per day).

5 hours ago, tonski said:

Hi there, I run Malwarebytes 3 on 2 computers, and also have AVG Internet Security on both computers. My AVG Internet Security is coming up for renewal. Is it safe for me to cancel my AVG renewal and just have Malwarebytes 3? Or do you recommend i have both? Regards, Tonski.

Layered protection is your best choice for a PC, what MB may miss your AVG should catch, I would renew your AVG script and continue to run both side by side with real time protection on both.

I would NOT only run MB3. 

Also, if you do not wish to continue paying for antivirus but still desire to use one you might consider installing one of the many reputable free antivirus solutions out there such as Avast!, Avira, the free version of AVG, Bitdefender or the free version of Kaspersky; or you can just re-enable Windows Defender if running Windows 8 or later or install Microsoft Security Essentials if using Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Hi there, many thanks for all of your replies. Very helpful. I'll stick with both Malwarebytes and AVG just to be on the safe side.

6 hours ago, tonski said:

Hi there, many thanks for all of your replies. Very helpful. I'll stick with both Malwarebytes and AVG just to be on the safe side.

Very good choice!!

Hi Tonski,

Malware bytes is an Malware protection which can protect your devices from any unknown threats over Internet and blocking unknown sourced applications and programs.

At the other side of this, AVG is an Antivirus protection which can safe & secure the devices from Viruses, spywares. So without any hesitation you can use both the securities at a same time. And for best results, it is recommended to sign up for full version of the AVG.

Its really a risk based analysis...if something gets by malwarebytes and you lose what is on your hard drive, how much pain will it cause you?  Important docs and photos?  Do you have everyhing backed up?  I don't think there is any protection that is absolutely fool proof, but having Malwarebytes AND a major anti-virus program probably makes things about as foolproof as you can get them.  Me, I use a paid major antivirus (Kaspersky internet security) and malwarebytes.  Over the years, I have had too much down time after having gotten viruses.  On my office computers, I used to rely on Symantec Endpoint...until a secretary somehow clicked on a link (apparently) and opened a door to her computer which led to the server......cost me much time and money and in the end, we still lost some important documents.  Never again...and honestly, since installing Kaspersky and malwarebytes Premium, a few years now....nothing has successfully attacked our computers.  And I will never run a program that does not scan email.....we run Kaspersky email on each computer at the hightest level.....and it is always blocking malicious links.  Recently a sec opened what she thought was a dropbox doc from a local business entity.  Kaspersky blocked cold whatever malware was trying to get on the system, which I surmize was some sort of Ransomware?  Would malwarebytes also have blocked?  probably...but why take the chance.