Exploit protection not starting

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

From your mb-clean logs you ran it seems the clean up was not successful.

Can you please follow the forum post below and run mb-clean again. Please make sure you reboot when the tool asks you to and that should go through the post reboot cleanup phase and should automatically prompt you to reinstall the latest MB 3.x

Please let us know if you still continue to see the issue:

Hi nikhils

I tried what you posted and the following happened:

MB-CLEAN run thru to reboot the PC. After reboot, the PC ran as usual but there was no prompt to reinstall

MB 3.x and there is no "mb-clean-results.txt" on the Desktop.

So I installed it manually and show there, the same problem as before, Exploit Protection turns on and off after a few seconds.

Probably the problem is the insider build of Windows, so it could help you the be prepared for the near future, when this version goes life.

Do you have any other idea what I could try to get it back running or shall I go back with my Windows build?

Many thanks in advance

Rene

@rene_feierabend

Could you try the following for me--

Shutdown Malwarebytes (if it's still able to run)

• Right-click the icon in the Taskbar and hit "Quit"

Go to the following locations, look for "Malwarebytes" and delete the whole folder, you may get a UAC prompt make sure to confirm

• C:\ProgramData
    • *Note: C:\ProgramData is a hidden location so you may have to show hidden files*
    • Showing Hidden Files
  • C:\Program Files

If you are able to remove the folder successfully, run MB-Clean again or let us know if there are issues removing the folder(s)

Thanks

Dear Vlad

I tried your post, the following happened:

• C:\ProgramData\Malwarbytes  could be deleted without problem.
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes  could not be deleted because mbshlext.dll is locked by the explorer process.

I renamed this file, restartet the PC, deleted the Folder and ran MB-Clean, then a mb-clean-results.txt file has been created (see attachemend). But i got no prompt to install MB-3.

So i made it manually. The same problem as before.

Hope you can find any solution.

Thank's in advance

Rene

mb-clean-results.txt