MBAM and MSE

Running MBAM premium and MSE on a win7/64 computer.

Did not pay attention to different comments about MBAM slowing down the PC. Just for the sake of experiment , removed both and installed ESET ( as having the minimum impact on a pc, according to AV Comparatives)

You will not believe what a difference !!!!! Pages will load /open in the moment of "click"!!!!!

• Staff

Hello lock -  you are correct that on Win 7 machines - MSE  does interfere with MB 3.x versions.  

Eset is great, I love it as well but for the folks that run across this topic, adding the following MB files to MSE's Excluded Processes (not Excluded Files) will alleviate this:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe 

If the machine is still too slow for comfort, then turn off MSE's Real Time Protection

8 hours ago, Ried said:

If the machine is still too slow for comfort, then turn off MSE's Real Time Protection

Why would I do that???? MSE has 99.1% detection rate in latest AV Comparatives , while MBAM 3 is yet to be tested somewhere...

The typical advice on all forums is to turn off MBAM Real Time Protection.

• Staff

You might want to check out this article as well as this live data map that illustrate that even the top vendors that consistently do well in such comparative tests aren't necessarily as bullet proof as they might seem and that Malwarebytes, even when only factoring in its primary malware detection engine/remediation engine (the scanner, not realtime protection or any of the other additional layers included with Premium) constantly detects threats missed by the other vendors (and that data doesn't even include PUPs; something Malwarebytes is known to be particularly proficient at these days).

5 hours ago, exile360 said:

You might want to check out this article

OK, that I understand , but to be advised by a MBAM staff member to disable the real time protection of the antivirus ,only to make MBAM look good (not to slow down the PC) is too much!!!!

Is it an established fact that MBAM is not an antivirus   and you have to run it in parallel with one, so why such advice??????

Edited by lock

• Staff

Well, it's no fact that you have to run Malwarebytes with an antivirus, especially considering the fact that to my knowledge, there are no actual computer viruses any more and haven't been for several years now.  All of the major threats and attack vectors (currently comprised primarily of exploits and ransomware) are well covered by Malwarebytes signature-less/behavior based protection capabilities and it still has an extensive signature and heuristics database as well as the constantly updated web protection component so really, even when used alone, it provides several powerful layers of defense against today's threats.  Malwarebytes has a lot of customers using Malwarebytes alone without an AV, and while there's nothing wrong with using an AV alongside Malwarebytes as it is designed to coexist with other security software in realtime, it's no longer a requirement to have one and going without one will certainly improve system performance.

• Staff

@lock - That was not my intent by any means.

Read what exile360 has explained - that should be the focus here. I was simply offering what can be done if a user has Windows 7, MSE, and MB, and are experiencing notable slow downs.  IF a user has issues with these 2 programs on a Win 7 machine - and they want to keep MSE - turning off the Real Time Protection of MSE is an option.  I have never seen MSE's Real Time Protection in all my years, ever stop me from a malicious website or a malicious file execution or block a ransomware attack.  MB clearly does - so the choices would be:

• Turn off Real Time Protection in MSE so you have the Anti-Exploit, Malicious Website, Malicious File Execution and Anti-Ransomware protection that MB affords.
  • Use MSE to conduct periodic scans on the machine.
  • Forget about MSE and use a different AV as you chose to do

My issue was very clear explained : MMBAM and MSE (basic antivirus) will slow down the PC.

Your "experts" advice was to turn off the real time protection of MSE because MBAM will cover all.

Some other people tend to disagree:

"David H. Lipman, on 02 Jan 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:snapback.png

...there are services in an Anti Virus that are not fulfilled by MBAM.

• It does not target scripted malware
  • It does not target document files
  • It does not target media files
  • It is still incapable of of removing malicious code that had been prepended, appended or cavity injected into legitimate files such as by a file infecting virus or by a trojan that trojanizes legitimate files ( aka; patches ).
  • It is not MAPI and/or VIM compliant nor does it offer a POP/IMAP Proxy Service.
  • It does not handle legacy malware because Malwarebytes personnel culls it database periodically and only tragets what they call Zero Day malware. Malware that is fresh and new Today and not something that was more prevalent a year or two ago.
An anti virus may intercept email and it will then decode the MIME and scan the body and attachments and flag the email as a Phish, Fraud or some other malicious content. MBAM may have and Anti Exploit module but that is for software exploitation. It does NOTHING for Social Engineering which is the Human Exploit such as those demonstrated in Fraud and Phishing emails.

If one ONLY depends on MBAM they lose the warnings made by traditional anti virus applications that performs scanning the file types MBAM does not target. They lose a layer of protection that an AV provides. So if one has a folder of Wimad trojans and only MBAM is installed, the computer user will never know. However if they had a fully installed Anti Virus solution performing "On Access" and "On Demand scanning on ALL file types, there would be a warning the files are malicious. This an indicator. MBAM will only protect one IFF they try to play a media file and it attempts some not standard media player function. MBAM will not tell you that is a malicious HyperText Application, or that XLS uses malicious macros or that MP3 is a Wimad or that web site has an Embedded IFrame
."

I an surprised and disgusted to see that , in order to justify the considerable impact of MBAM on a PC system, your "experts" would advice to run it without  an associated antivirus.

Yep, I understand your concerns, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion of what software to run to keep protected. I personally choose just MB3 and have had no issues, but to each their own.

We are always looking at ways to improve our performance metric, but for the majority of people we are currently in a state where our impact is sufficient on their systems. if you are experiencing issues with high performance usage from MB3, please post the relevant logs and let us know what type of performance issues you're seeing so we can actively troubleshoot what's going on.