Microsoft Edge Blocked

I have run the premium version and quarantined various files and registry keys that was suggested. However, I have noticed that when I open Microsoft Edge, it opens with the message 'Hmmm... cannot reach this page'. I can access the internet with Chrome, it just appears to be Edge that has been affected. Any suggestions?

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

4 hours ago, Pete123 said:

I have run the premium version and quarantined various files and registry keys that was suggested.

Please post the logs from the above automated reply.

Click the first "Reveal hidden comments" box for the needed logs.

The Forum team is looking forward to assisting you.

This is NOT an automated reply.

Thanks.

• Staff

Hello Pete123 - I'd like to see if one of the Protection Modules is causing this. Open Malwarebytes and click Settings > Protection tab 

Please disable the different Protection modules one at at time, starting with the Web Protection and try Edge.

Repeat with each protection module, one at a time. If you are able to load Edge, please tell us which protection module you disabled that allowed Edge to connect.

Interestingly , or not, my Host file had only grown from 2.3MB to 2.38MB since 2015. No problems until last week. Four other browsers were functioning properly, just not Edge. I recall disabling the DNS client back on Windows 7 but for the Windows 10 Fall update I can't find a way to change the startup type, all options are grayed out. I'll try through regedit.

2 minutes ago, Cosa said:

but for the Windows 10 Fall update I can't find a way to change the startup type, all options are grayed out. I'll try through regedit.

I have stopped using hosts files. I use Just Ublock and  Malwarebytes. I checked my computer and confirm it is greyed out as well. In that case, I would not even bother to change it unless there is an easy way to reverse it if there are issues. 

Hi Reid,

I followed the link and instructions from it.

The Troubleshooter initially detected a problem with the message:

'Windows Store cache and licenses may be corrupt. Resetting Windows Store will resolve cache and license issues and restart Windows Store, would you like to reset now?'

I opt to reset and open windows store. 

The computer then tries to open Windows Store in Microsoft Edge and I get the message:

‘Check your connection. Microsoft store needs to be online. It looks like you’re not.’

An additional window opens up which I have cut and pasted below. It believes it has fixed the store but I can't access it or open Edge still. I did this twice and restarted my PC just in case:

Issues found

Windows Store cache may be damaged

Fixed

Reset and open Windows Store

Completed

Potential issues that were checked

Microsoft account required

Issue not present

Temporary Internet files location has changed

Issue not present

User Account Control has been disabled

Issue not present

Issues found

Detection details

Fixed

Reset and open Windows Store

Completed

Potential issues that were checked

Detection details

Issue not present

Issue not present

Issue not present

Reposting to maintain context of the original suggestion. This original post ended up stuck in some other unrelated thread, Mod perhaps?  

I have been seeing the same Microsoft Edge browser being blocked issue recently. Tried LOTS of t-shooting with regard to settings, resetting/reinstalling Edge, disabling adblockers, firewall changes etc., to no avail. I also noticed in Task Manager that Service Host: DNS Client was constantly running at >20% CPU time. What I ended up finding to be the cause was a large Hosts file. I was using a utility that auto-appended the Windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file with ad and malware domain redirects. Hosts had grown to 2.5MB. As a test I replaced it with the original empty Hosts file and rebooted. Edge browser loads pages right up and the problem appears to be gone and Service Host: DNS Client now rarely uses more than 1% CPU. Updated the new (old) Hosts with the adware lists and the problem returned. I just figured this out an hour ago and was looking to see if any others had seen the problem and saw your post. Hope this helps.

19 hours ago, Cosa said:

Interestingly , or not, my Host file had only grown from 2.3MB to 2.38MB since 2015. No problems until last week. Four other browsers were functioning properly, just not Edge. 

• Staff

Thanks Cosa - sadly, a large hosts file is not Pete123's issue. He has the Windows default hosts:

==================== Hosts content: ===============================

(If needed Hosts: directive could be included in the fixlist to reset Hosts.)

2013-08-22 13:25 - 2017-10-14 11:15 - 000000826 _____ C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts

I do think you may be onto something though with the DNS - but I'm thinking along the lines of DNS cache.. 

Try flushing the dns cache - flushing the DNS resets it at the IP level, clearing any IP cache. It forces the computer to empty the cache and forget everything it knows about DNS entries that it’s looked up previously. It has to start asking the DNS server for new and up-to-date information as you reference domains by name thereafter.

On your keyboard, press the Windows Logo key and the letter X to open the Quick Link Menu
in that list, select Command Prompt (Admin)

In the black window that appears, type in the following and press Enter:

ipconfig /flushdns

(Note: there is a space between ipconfig and /flushdns)

Wait for the 'Succesfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache' message then type in Exit.

Reboot the machine and try again

Please let me know if the above resolved the issue.

Any better?