Kins44

False Positives

Just ran the new version of this and it shows false positives for any Raxco software. I have Pefect Disk 14 pro and the scan reports anything related to "Raxco" to be a PUP.

Hi,

can you attach the scan logfile from AdwCleaner, please?

Both elements seems to be related to PUP.Optional.PerfectRegistry:

Also Reporting False Positive with AdwCleaner 7.0.8.0 for PUP.Optional.PerfectRegistry

When I scan with MalwareBytes Premium 3.3.1 or Adlice RogueKiller 12.12.5.0, nothing is detected, but when scanning with AdwCleaner 7.0.8.0 the following is detected:

***** [ Folders ] *****

PUP.Optional.PerfectRegistry, C:\ProgramData\Raxco
PUP.Optional.PerfectRegistry, C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Raxco
PUP.Optional.PerfectRegistry, C:\Program Files\Raxco
PUP.Optional.PerfectRegistry, C:\Program Files (x86)\Raxco
PUP.Optional.PerfectRegistry, C:\Users\All Users\Raxco

***** [ Registry ] *****

PUP.Optional.PerfectRegistry, [Key] - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Raxco
PUP.Optional.PerfectRegistry, [Key] - HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Raxco
PUP.Optional.PerfectRegistry, [Key] - HKU\S-1-5-19\Software\Raxco
PUP.Optional.PerfectRegistry, [Key] - HKU\S-1-5-20\Software\Raxco
PUP.Optional.PerfectRegistry, [Key] - HKU\S-1-5-21-3195048604-3710212263-1458347270-1000\Software\Raxco
PUP.Optional.PerfectRegistry, [Key] - HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Raxco
PUP.Optional.PerfectRegistry, [Key] - HKCU\Software\Raxco

I have Raxco's product "Perfect Disk 10" installed, and all folders detected by AdwCleaner are associated with Raxco's defragmentation program.

I scanned the registry for any occurrences of "PerfectRegistry" and found nothing.

I also scanned the registry for "Raxco" and everything found was associated with PerfectDisk10

Removing AdwCleaner 7.0.8.0 until the next release.

Hey,

I can confirm that "Raxco" is a FP, same for MimarSinan.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm sure that fr33tux will fix it asap.

All these false positives from Malwarbytes lately. It used to be a good program...There is a fine line between a "high detection rate" and a good anti-malware application. Just because your programs detect a lot of programs doesn't make it better than other anti-malware programs. All these false positives and this too!. Maybe it's time for a revamp or rewrite of the software. 

I have the "MimarSinan" detection. Can someone please explain what this is and if it's a false positive why it hasn't been fixed yet? Thank you!

It's not a virus or malware. It's related to InstallAware. If you've installed anything on your computer, you likely have that false detection. Malwarebytes is just full of false positives lately. I guess more detection's make people feel safe though.  

My bad, I should clarify... the "MimarSinan" false positive I got was from Adwcleaner. But, since both products are from the same company shouldn't the alleged false positive be fixed across the board? Thanks!

I've alrady asked fr33tux to exclude "MimarSinan" from database a few days ago.

Will contact him again regarding this.

Thanks!

@Kins44:

PerfectRegistry is no FP by Malwarebytes.

You can find more information here:

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2016/10/malwarebytes-gets-tougher-on-pups/

https://www.malwarebytes.com/pup/

Edited by MKDB

On 3/6/2018 at 11:23 AM, MKDB said:

I've alrady asked fr33tux to exclude "MimarSinan" from database a few days ago.

Will contact him again regarding this.

Thanks!

@Kins44:

PerfectRegistry is no FP by Malwarebytes.

You can find more information here:

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2016/10/malwarebytes-gets-tougher-on-pups/

https://www.malwarebytes.com/pup/

Yes it is a false positive in that I didn't have that program on the computer that I ran Adwcleaner on. Like I said it's also a legitimate program from Raxco. Like I said before a "high detection rate" means little to nothing when the majority of detection's are false positives. Removing something that's "Potentially unwanted" doesn't help things, it just makes matters worse especially because no one knows the potential. The program "might be" unwanted, but you really have no clue, it's all basically a guess. A better guess that has more potential of being true is that end users don't want you making decisions for them about what applications they want on their computers. 

59 minutes ago, Kins44 said:

Yes it is a false positive in that I didn't have that program on the computer that I ran Adwcleaner on. Like I said it's also a legitimate program from Raxco. Like I said before a "high detection rate" means little to nothing when the majority of detection's are false positives. Removing something that's "Potentially unwanted" doesn't help things, it just makes matters worse especially because no one knows the potential. The program "might be" unwanted, but you really have no clue, it's all basically a guess. A better guess that has more potential of being true is that end users don't want you making decisions for them about what applications they want on their computers. 

The only "open" false positive is  >>> PUP.Optional.DriverDoc, [Key] - HKLM\SOFTWARE\MimarSinan <<<

Registry cleaners are not recommended by Microsoft at all: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

Moreover, an advantage of those cleaners is not verifiable... not to mention a fake one.

The folders and software keys "Raxco" like reported by the user LesColleen and you are not detected any longer (tested by myself).

Edited by MKDB

13 minutes ago, MKDB said:

The only "open" false positive is  >>> PUP.Optional.DriverDoc, [Key] - HKLM\SOFTWARE\MimarSinan <<<

Registry cleaners are not recommended by Microsoft at all: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

Moreover, an advantage of those cleaners is not verifiable... not to mention a fake one.

The folders and software keys "Raxco" like reported by the user LesColleen and you are not detected any longer (tested by myself).

I get that Microsoft doesn't recommend Registry cleaners but that doesn't mean people aren't going to use those types of applications. Microsoft also likes to spy on their customers. 

59 minutes ago, Kins44 said:

I get that Microsoft doesn't recommend Registry cleaners but that doesn't mean people aren't going to use those types of applications. Microsoft also likes to spy on their customers. 

:lol:

14 hours ago, Kins44 said:

I get that Microsoft doesn't recommend Registry cleaners but that doesn't mean people aren't going to use those types of applications. 

This is precisely why these detections are classified as Potentially Unwanted, because it is up to the user (i.e., you) to decide whether or not you wish to keep the detected application in question, but based on the criteria used by Malwarebytes for determining what to detect as PUP, this registry cleaner fits the bill. So if you choose to use this application, that is fine and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that as it is of course your PC and your decision; Malwarebytes is only making its recommendation and alerting you to the fact that this Potentially Unwanted Program is installed on your system.  What you choose to do with that information is completely up to you, and if you wish to exclude it from further detection you may easily do so by performing a scan with Malwarebytes, clicking the checkbox in the scan results screen at the very top of the list of detections so that none in the list are checked, then click Next and select Always Ignore so that the detections will be added to Malwarebytes Exclusions and it will no longer detect any of those items in future scans on your system.

On 2/16/2018 at 7:16 PM, Kins44 said:

Just ran the new version of this and it shows false positives for any Raxco software. I have Pefect Disk 14 pro and the scan reports anything related to "Raxco" to be a PUP.

I also have this problem... Adding both the directory and application (.exe) to the exclusions does not solve the issue....

Greetings,

Many of the entries being detected are in the registry and data locations, not just the primary program folders under Program Files so all of those items need to be excluded as well.  The simplest way to do so would be to perform a scan and once it completes, click the checkbox at the very top left of the list of detected items to clear/uncheck them all then click Next and when prompted on what to do with the remaining detections, select Always Ignore and they will all be added to your Exclusions so that Malwarebytes will no longer detect any of them.

Please let us know if that resolves the issue or not.

Thanks

You're welcome :)

It should work, but definitely let us know if it does not, and please feel free to post again if you have any further questions or issues.

Thanks