cannot install hiackthis or Malwarebytes

This started out as a simple (I thought) problem but I cannot access Adaware by LavaSoft, Spybot S&D will not run and nothing shows up in AVG. All are current and I've tried to R&R all but still no go. I was able to get SUPERAntiSpyware to run once but not after that.

Also, Google will not run in Safari 4. I did have a Google redirect problem but seem to have this fixed at least in IE7.

I've tried every combination I can think of and tried to R&R in safe mode but still nogo.

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. Youo may not have appropriate permissions to access them."

Ideas please!

Regards,

Jay F.

• Staff

Hi jayfontaine1 and welcome to Malwarebytes.

Download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.

Double-click on the DDS icon and let the scan run. When it has run two logs will be produced, please post please post the one that is not minimized.

Next, or if that does not work, please run a GMER Rootkit scan:

Download GMER's application from here:

http://www.gmer.net/gmer.zip

Unzip it and start the GMER.exe

Click the Rootkit tab and click the Scan button.

Once done, click the Copy button.

This will copy the results to your clipboard.

Paste the results in your next reply.

Warning ! Please, do not select the "Show all" checkbox during the scan.

Next, or if that doesn't work, please download Win32kDiag.exe by AD to your Desktop. Double click on it. It will make a diagnostic and produce a report on the desktop. Post that report on your next reply:

-screen317

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!