Ransomware protection with Acronis 2018

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

• Staff

Greetings :)

I checked Acronis' website and the only major feature I saw mentioned which might create any conflict is the behavior based Pattern Recognition feature designed to identify ransomware by looking at how processes modify files, but that said, I still believe a conflict between the two is quite unlikely, particularly since Acronis actually call out the fact that their software was designed to be compatible with security software/anti-malware solutions so I don't foresee any issues with using both products together on the same system.

That said, if any issues do occur, you may try disabling the Pattern Recognition feature in Acronis to see if it resolves it assuming they've made it possible to do so, but considering I haven't seen any reports so far of issues between the two and knowing what I do about how cautious and tedious Malwarebytes has been in testing and designing their anti-ransomware component (as well as their other layers of protection/features) to be compatible with other software, I sincerely doubt you will encounter any issues using the two together with all features active.

Please let us know if you do have any issues or if you have any further questions or issues to report.

There is no way to disable any part of it, only the whole thing, which I have no issue doing. I have had it enabled since around November 2017 when I got Acronis. I have not had an issue so far.

It is more of like the other program that I have using WFP and when it is enabled I do not get the Malwarebytes blocked page logo, the page just refuses to load. I am thinking it might be some of the same here with the Acronis protection in the ransomware module. I think I will turn that off and disable the tray icon. This is a new feature and I trust Malwarebytes far more with my protection. Makes no sense to have something that might cause a conflict if or when I come across something that could infect me. 

Thanks exile360 :)

Edited by Access Denied

• Staff

You may do that if you wish, however I personally see some advantages to keeping the Acronis protections active as well, particularly the protected backup features (though how truly robust they prove to be has yet to be determined against real world threats obviously, but it sounds good on paper ;) ).

That said, I also know that when combined with Malwarebytes exploit protection (with exploits being the most common method of spreading/installing malware, especially ransomware, these days), the layers of defense offered by Malwarebytes have proven themselves to be quite robust against today's ransomware threats (as well as the vast majority of other threats out there) so I don't really think you'll be losing too much in the way of real world protection by disabling the Acronis security components and just sticking with those provided by Malwarebytes.

I'm glad I could help, and if there's anything else you need assistance with please don't hesitate to let us know.