Anti-logging protection for Malwarebytes

Hello.

I am wondering if we will ever see anti-logging techniques in Malwarebytes, like what Zemana anti-logger does? I realize that Malwarebytes is capable of stopping keyloggers, click-jackers, spyware, etc, but I mean adding new layers like Secure SSL and Encrypted Keystrokes. This is pretty much the only reason I have left to continue using Zemana anti-logger with Malwarebytes. If Malwarebytes added these layers, I wouldn't need Zemana anymore.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

I agree with your assessment but will add that I believe the only reasons Malwarebytes hasn't chosen to implement any direct anti-logging components to their protection yet are because first, the vast majority of malware these days (including those which utilizing any kind of keylogging/infojacking capabilities be they keyloggers, Trojans, RATs, DNS hijackers or any other threats of that nature) get onto users' systems in the same way as virtually all other malware does: namely, exploits, something Malwarebytes has covered quite effectively already thanks to its dedicated and rather effective signature-less anti-exploit technology and also because quite frankly there just aren't very many threats utilizing these tactics these days aside from a few aging malware kits (which aren't commonly used as most are now well covered by pretty much all the AV/AM vendors) and the occasional APT (something consumers don't really need to be concerned with since they're primarily targeted only at government, industrial, financial and infrastructural targets).

That said, if you really are concerned about it and want an additional layer dedicated to keystroke encryption you can just install the free version of HitmanPro.Alert.  It includes keystroke encryption for all major browsers and other apps known to be monitored by keyloggers searching for input (i.e. passwords, account numbers, CC numbers etc.) and a few other dedicated security features centered around privacy not specifically targeted currently by Malwarebytes.  The two programs work fine alongside each other in realtime and since the vast majority of features included in the paid version of HMP.A are already covered by features in MB3, there's no need to pay for an additional product/subscription so you can stick with MB3 Premium and just add the free version of HMP.A to your protection and rely on it to bridge the gaps without too much overlap in the form of duplicate features/layers.

Edited by exile360

Well Malwarebytes believes in a layer approach, do they not? This is currently a layer that Malwarebytes is missing.

Thanks for the suggestion of Hitman Pro. I have not used that since Sophos acquired it. As far as I am concerned, their anti-logging techniques are only offered in the Pro Alert paid version, too. I don't really need everything Hitman Pro has to offer, so Zemana anti-logger is a better choice for me.

Also, you are correct about malicious keyloggers/etc, but you should also note that not all keyloggers are malicious. Encrypted keystrokes protects against any kind of keylogger, not just the malicious ones. I think that is why people prefer to just have their keystrokes encrypted, instead of just a real-time protection that prevents against some keyloggers. In fact, over the years on Malwarebytes forums, I have seen other people request for similar features that I am requesting. I won't tell the Malwarebytes developers how to do their job, but I think it is something they should really consider.

Anyways, I am alright with using Zemana and Malwarebytes together.

Oh I agree fully with your sentiments regarding the desire for dedicated keystroke encryption (as well as additional generic specialized keylogger/keystroke/input protection in general) for Malwarebytes and have myself requested the same on several occasions, but I also see the flip side with regards to the uncommon nature of malicious keyloggers these days and of course the potential issues which might arise should such layers be introduced and come into conflict with legit keyloggers being used by business customers which I'm sure factor into the equation.

Regarding HMP vs Zemana, sure, that's totally fine.  I didn't think Zemana offered a free version which was my reasoning for suggesting HMP.A for this purpose since its free features include several layers not currently included in MB3 (not just with regards to keyloggers, but several other threat types/attack vectors as well).

• 8 months later...

This is a public forum, and while members of the Malwarebytes staff to post here frequently, it is primarily handled by volunteers such as myself.  If you seek a direct statement from a Malwarebytes staff member then I would suggest contacting Malwarebytes Support directly via the options found on this page.  As I mentioned previously, I did already submit these requests to the team for review so they are aware of them, however I do not know if or when they plan to roll out any features for these specific requests but someone from Support may be able to get you a clearer answer from an official source.