Client Installs

Hi, I am having various issues pushing out the client installs. The main one is that certain machines do not appear at all after a scan, including the host machine...

Also, the next common issue is I get the result "Installation failed. Failed to open Service Control Manager DB. Win32 error code [5].

Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

I also have the same issue and some email replies but no phone support yet.  Hmmm..

Win32 error code [5]

Win32 error code [1062]

Win32 error code [1115]

and going machine to machine to make changes manually and interrupting users to do so is not a viable means to deploy this in locations that I am not in.

I need to use some sort of Script or app to deploy the preparation steps which appear to be more significant than anything in the Admin Guide and include things like a having .net versions in place and active, having certain security rights along with the stated network discovery and domain file and printer sharing activated.  Then I found that I get an RPC service unavailable and that remote registry updates are also required to be running.  Then for that,  you need secondary login as well since admin user can connect in the background to deploy Malwarebytes without interrupting the user desktop.

Please reply to my queries if anyone has any kind of automation wrapped around making sure all the requirements for install are in place.

• 3 weeks later...

Win32 codes are permissions errors, make sure you are using a domain account who's primary group is domain admins, not domain users, even if the account is a domain admin, the GROUP must be set. Also make sure to complete the pre-reqs for client push to be successful, don't just disable the Windows Firewall, that will do nothing to help you except "lock" the settings it has adn continue erroring out. You need to specifically allow the netbios ports 135, 137 and 445, then allow remote administration and file and print sharing. See this KB for how to open these items via GPO - https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2237

Machines not showing up at all during the scan are likely to be machines on another subnet, Microsoft has deprecated the usage of netbios (the protocol our push tool uses) to no longer function across subnets. You could setup a WINS server role to ensure that the netbios traffic returns from the subnet, or even easier, use the push option for serial client IP, that will make the tool attempt to match the netbios name up to an IP and use the IP to query instead.