Jump to content

Web Exploit Protection Fails to Launch


Recommended Posts

The Web Exploit Protection continues to fail to launch.  I keep receiving this error:

Error: (02/12/2018 06:03:58 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7000) (User: )
Description: The Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit service failed to start due to the following error: 
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit is not a valid Win32 application.

Currently running Malwarebytes Premium
Malwarebytes version: 3.3.1.2183
Component package version: 1.0.262
Update package version: 1.0.3928

MB-Check zip file attached.

mb-check-results.zip

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

 

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

  • Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

 

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

  • Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, metalball said:

The Web Exploit Protection continues to fail to launch.  I keep receiving this error:

:welcome:

Let us get a clean install of the current version.

Download and run MB-CLEAN. Please run from an administrator account.

  • Download MB-CLEAN
  • Close all open applications
  • Double-click and run mb-clean-3.1.0.1031.exe
  • A prompt with an option to clean up the system will appear: click Yes
    • Yes - will proceed with backing up the license key (Malwarebytes 3.x only) and initiating the cleanup process
  • Once the cleanup process is completed, a prompt will appear:
    • Yes - will proceed and post reboot you will be prompted to continue with the downloading, installation and activation of latest version of Malwarebytes 3
    • No - will exit the utility and you will not be prompted (post reboot) to download, reinstall and re-activate (not recommended)
      • We recommend rebooting immediately. Additionally, stopping at this step is not recommended and will most likely not resolve your issue(s).
  • Upon reboot, a prompt will appear: click Yes
    • Yes - will download, install and activate the latest version of Malwarebytes 3
    • No - will exit the utility and Malwarebytes 3 will not be downloaded, reinstalled or re-activated (not recommended)

 If it does not offer the new install after the reboot you can download and install from here. 

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3  

Link to post
Share on other sites

This was on a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro and new install of MB.  However, as requested, I've downloaded and ran MB-CLEAN as suggested.

After reinstall, all RT protection options temporarily enabled.  However, a couple minutes later, the "Exploit Protection" disabled itself again.  Still experiencing the exact same error.

Windows 10 version 1709, build 16299.214.
Malwarebytes version 3.3.1.2183
Component package version: 1.0.262
Update package version: 1.0.3935

MB-CLEAN results file attached.

 

14 hours ago, Porthos said:

:welcome:

Let us get a clean install of the current version.

Download and run MB-CLEAN. Please run from an administrator account.

  • Download MB-CLEAN
  • Close all open applications
  • Double-click and run mb-clean-3.1.0.1031.exe
  • A prompt with an option to clean up the system will appear: click Yes
    • Yes - will proceed with backing up the license key (Malwarebytes 3.x only) and initiating the cleanup process
  • Once the cleanup process is completed, a prompt will appear:
    • Yes - will proceed and post reboot you will be prompted to continue with the downloading, installation and activation of latest version of Malwarebytes 3
    • No - will exit the utility and you will not be prompted (post reboot) to download, reinstall and re-activate (not recommended)
      • We recommend rebooting immediately. Additionally, stopping at this step is not recommended and will most likely not resolve your issue(s).
  • Upon reboot, a prompt will appear: click Yes
    • Yes - will download, install and activate the latest version of Malwarebytes 3
    • No - will exit the utility and Malwarebytes 3 will not be downloaded, reinstalled or re-activated (not recommended)

 If it does not offer the new install after the reboot you can download and install from here. 

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3  

 

mb-clean-results.txt

Edited by metalball
added MB-CLEAN results file
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, metalball said:

This was on a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro and new install of MB.  However, as requested, I've downloaded and ran MB-CLEAN as suggested.

After reinstall, all RT protection options temporarily enabled.  However, a couple minutes later, the "Exploit Protection" disabled itself again.  Still experiencing the exact same error.

Please post a new set of logs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm seems to be a problem with MB as I also installed on a fresh install and web protection was off.

Turning it on took an absolute age. Today I rebooted and it turned its self off right in front of me!

All over the forum there is this issue of not starting. has anyone at MB investigated why this is happening?.

Three versions of MB have had the same issue.

For me its good bye MB, I need something that works!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I installed MB3 over the existing install as requested.  Still no joy - same app behavior. 

I've also added the scan exclusion list that you listed in a different post within Windows Defender (just in case it was causing the conflict).

  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamchameleon.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\farflt.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys (64-bit only)

To be thorough, here is the latest round of MB logs for review.

 

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Thanks for the new logs, I will get staff to look over this. While we wait just for grins, Download the setup file and install over what you have now. https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3

@dcollins@nikhils@vbarytskyy

 

mb-check-results.zip

Link to post
Share on other sites

As listed above, I've already tried running MB-CLEAN, as well as installing over the product, to get it to work.  Unfortunately, neither were successful.

Other ideas?

 

 

21 minutes ago, nikhils said:

From your logs it looks like your Web Protection started correctly but not your Anti Exploit.

Can you please follow the forum post below and run mb-clean to reinstall the product.

Let us know if that worked.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

MB-CLEAN has been run again using an Administrator account.  Here is the output file.  Error still remains.

 

 

8 hours ago, nikhils said:

It looks like some some components of Anti Exploit did not get installed correctly.

Can you please try running the mb-clean once again and send us the mb-clean-results.txt file 

Appreciate your patience here.

Thank you.

 

mb-clean-results.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.