AdwCleaner crashes every time I attempt to clean

Hello,

I was advised by MKDB (https://forums.malwarebytes.com/profile/105374-mkdb/) to start this topic here, and I also followed the steps in this topic (https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/9573-im-infected-what-do-i-do-now/). I've ran the scans and attached the logs in this post.

I have a problem with AdwCleaner. When it finds a threat and I select Clean, the computer crashes and the adware element keeps showing on the scans. This particular one is "PUP.Optional.SlimCleanerPlus", in case it's relevant.

It might be worth adding that the program has been doing that whichever the version was. Whenever I tried cleaning any threat and Windows crashed, I'd scan it again, and then tried to locate and delete the adware files manually. In most cases, they'd no longer show up on the scans after a while. These methods haven't been working for this file, though.

What should I do to make AdwCleaner work properly again?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by AdvancedSetup

• Root Admin

There is always some amount of risk anytime you run any scanner or cleaning utility on your computer but the risk is very low. Rarely does anything go wrong.

It's up to you. I'll show you what it's targeting to remove and you let me know if you want to or not.

• Root Admin

Okay, please reboot the computer one more time. Then run a new FRST scan and make sure you place a check in the Additions.txt check box and post back both new logs.

Also run a scan with AdwCleaner, but do not try to fix anything. Post back that log if it will run without crashing.

Thanks

• Root Admin

This computer is running a hack to bypass activation with Microsoft. There are reports of it also leading to unexpected behaviors in Windows. I would recommend it's removal and if needed work with Microsoft to get a validated license.

(@ByELDI) C:\Program Files\KMSpico\Service_KMS.exe

As for what AdwCleaner found - that is just a left over remnant of a registry key. It is not doing any harm and you could wait until AdwCleaner is updated or just go manually remove the key yourself. Open REGEDIT.EXE and browse to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\    then find the key:  SlimWare Utilities Inc   and delete it.

Let me know if you'd like to remove KMSpico and service and I'll help you to remove it.

Thank you

Ron

Thank you for your help.

I'm still not being able to find the Slimware Utilities Inc anywhere in the regedit (not my first try, and even with such help, this new one has had the same result, unfortunately), but if it's not doing any harm, I guess I'll wait for the 7.1 update.

About the KMSpico, I will want to remove it, but only when I can purchase the validated license. But still, thanks for telling me.

Edited by TiagoJMonteiro

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks