MBAM program with other Anti-Malware programs

Hello everyone! My question is regarding having or installing any other anti-malware program to my system since I already have MBAM Ver 1.40, with database version 2667-(updated to 8-20-09). I previously had Webroot Spy-Sweeper installed first a few months ago, that program worked fine then until I installed IE8, which it conflicted with for some reason. I uninstalled both Spy-Sweeper and IE8 and went back to IE7, and later on installed MBAM, which has worked fine since that time. I would like to reinstall Spy-Sweeper-(as a backup anti-malware program to MBAM), as I have noticed on various forum groups that experienced web-browsers use more that one type of Anti-Malware program, as some programs may detect infections that other will not, and vice versa. It was also suggested not to have more that one A/Malware program running at the same time, but have one "primary" program running, with the others disabled, then disable the main program and enable the others to run a quick scan, etc. Any thoughts on this, whether MBAM would have any problems with other installed anti-malware programs-(*even disbabled)? Thanks!!! <_<

I would recommend SUPERAntiSpyware over WebRoot as a backup, but that is of course your choice. <_<

Anyway, there is wisdom in not putting all of your eggs in one basket. There is nothing wrong with having a good backup scanner just in case.

You may also want to consider something like HostsMan to help block malicious websites. It is capable of installing the HpHosts HOSTS file, and keeping it up to date as well.

I would recommend SUPERAntiSpyware over WebRoot as a backup, but that is of course your choice. <_<

Anyway, there is wisdom in not putting all of your eggs in one basket. There is nothing wrong with having a good backup scanner just in case.

You may also want to consider something like HostsMan to help block malicious websites. It is capable of installing the HpHosts HOSTS file, and keeping it up to date as well.

Why does MBAM not black those malicious sites too?

Why does MBAM not black those malicious sites too?

It does block many of them (if not most of them), however, a layered approach to security is usually best, this way you're not relying on one group of researchers to pinpoint and block every new malicious site and/or threat on the web. HostsMan has the capability to combine many HOSTS files into one, including blocking of not only malicious sites, but also ads which can speed up browsing, especially on slower connections. The advantage of the IP Protection in Malwarebytes' is that it is updated far more frequently than any of the HOSTS files and can therefore be used to target the newest and nastiest ones discovered by Malwarebytes' researchers.

It does block many of them (if not most of them)...

This is true, and the reason MBAM does not block all of them is simply that if we blocked every IP address that showed up in the HpHosts database, then we would be blocking a lot of legitimate sites.

Our criteria for an IP address making it into our black list is as follows:

1) There are more malicious websites than legitimate websites that resolve to that IP address.

2) The service provider refuses to take down the malicious websites that are abusing their service.

This does leave a gap in our IP protection, but at the same time also makes sure that if any new malicious sites pop up at IP addresses that are commonly abused, then they will already be blocked. A combination of MBAM and HpHosts gives you the best of both worlds (proactive blocking and blocking of known malicious sites).

So GT500, when MBAM's taskbar icon displays the small alert window stating "MBAM Anti-Malware IP Protection-infection detected 98.124.198.1", that the program has caught and blocked this site sucessfully? I've only had this program a short while, and don't have that much experience with same, I've previously used Spyware Doctor for the last few years, but their 64-bit Vista version has been having a lot of teething problems and I elected to go with MBAM instead on my new computer. Also when I mentioned in my previous post about putting Spy-Sweeper back in, as a back-up scanner, the advice I mentioned online was to not have two anti-malware programs running simultaneously. Does this mean one running the primary and having the back-up program completely disabled until you run a separate scan with it-(with primary turned off), or just not running scans at the same time with both simultaneously? Any info would be appreciated!!! Thanks!!

when MBAM's taskbar icon displays the small alert window stating "MBAM Anti-Malware IP Protection-infection detected 98.124.198.1", that the program has caught and blocked this site sucessfully?

Yes, that is correct :lol:

Does this mean one running the primary and having the back-up program completely disabled until you run a separate scan with it-(with primary turned off), or just not running scans at the same time with both simultaneously? Any info would be appreciated!!! Thanks!!

The general consensus is not to have both programs running in real-time protection mode. So, if you are using MBAM+Spy-Sweeper, have Malwarebytes' Protection Module turned on, but disable the real time protection in Spy-Sweeper and use it only for on-demand scanning (e.g. periodic scanning that you initiate yourself)

This way, you get an optimal balance of computer resource usage and protection...and less chance of conflicts between the two programs!