2nd time Comodo found "Application.Win32.CompuTrace.B@353709542"

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is happening with your system now, any odd or erratic behavior, same with your Browser...?

Slimware Utilities is not classed as Malware per se, it is classed as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP).  PUP`s are not trustworthy and you will end up having to buy drivers that will probably no be correct for your system.

If you believe a driver update is needed, lets say for your graphics card, go to the manufacturer website. You will get the correct driver and not be charged for it...

Yes Slimware Utilities should be removed... If your system is behaving as expected with no issues or concerns we can clean up:

Download "Delfix by Xplode" and save it to your desktop.

Or use the following if first link is down:

"Delfix link mirror"

If your security program alerts to Delfix either, accept the alert or turn your security off.

Double Click to start the program. If you are using Vista or higher, please right-click and choose run as administrator

Make Sure the following items are checked:

• Remove disinfection tools <----- this will remove tools we may have used.
  • Purge System Restore <--- this will remove all previous and possibly exploited restore points, a new point relative to system status at present will be created.
  • Reset system settings <--- this will reset any system settings back to default that were changed either by us during cleansing or malware/infection

Now click on "Run" and wait patiently until the tool has completed.

The tool will create a log when it has completed. We don't need you to post this.

Any remnant files/logs from tools we have used can be deleted…

Next,

Read the following links to fully understand PC Security and Best Practices, you may find them useful....

Answers to Common Security Questions and best Practices

Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

Take care and surf safe

Kevin... user posted image

Also, I ran another SFC scan at Windows Powershell Admin it still states it found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.  This is even after re-registering all Windows 10 default apps on your computer by running the code "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}" in the Windows Powershell Admin.  After having run that, I expected that when I ran the sfc /scannow that it would not have found anything.

Do you know anything about this or have any input?

Select the Windows key and X Key together. From the produced list select::

Command Promt (Admin)

Accept UAC alert...

At the Command prompt, type

CHKDSK C: /R

hit the Enter key.

You will get a message that the drive cannot be locked, but that the command can be scheduled to run at the next boot - hit the Y key, press Enter, and then reboot.

The CHKDSK may take a few hours depending on the size of the drive, so be patient!

After the CHKDSK has run use the following instructions to find the log:

Check Disk report:

• Press the WindowsKey + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type eventvwr into the run box and click OK.
  • In the left panel, expand Windows Logs and then click on Application.
  • Now, on the right side, click on Filter Current Log.
  • Under Event Sources, (expand the drop down arrow) check only Wininit and click OK.
  • You mayl be presented with one or multiple Wininit logs.
  • Click on an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • On the top main menu, click Action > Copy > Copy Details as Text.
  • Paste the contents into your next reply.

Just did that and turned it OFF so now when I hit windows+X I see Command Prompt, and Command Prompt (Admin).  What is the difference b/w Command Prompt and Windows Powershell?

I figured I better re-run sfc /scannow since I was running it previously under Windows Powershell, as I assumed Windows Powershell and Command Prompt were one of the same thing.

I have not done the check disk step yet as you listed. I'll get to this after the latest sfc /scannow.

I did you that tool to create a new restore point and it deleted farbar and what not.   But, should I delete the Windows MSRT?  Also, I think I am going to delete Spybot and instead you MWbytes as a standalone every so often along with Avast Antivirus and Zone Alarm FW.  Thoughts?

Is a better option to CHKDSK /R first, then run SFC /Scannow... Regarding the difference between command prompt and powershell, have a read at the following link:

https://www.howtogeek.com/163127/how-powershell-differs-from-the-windows-command-prompt/

I`m sort of old school and have not migrated to powershell, I`m more comfortable with cmd.exe and at my age will probably stay that way...

I looked at that link.  All that knowledge/language is above my paygrade so to speak.

Let me get to that checkdisk.

But, should I delete the Windows MSRT?  Also, I think I am going to delete Spybot and instead you MWbytes as a standalone every so often along with Avast Antivirus and Zone Alarm FW.  Thoughts?

Edited by ghostlight

I have done that check disk, but I have no idea if it is running, checking, or working.  When I cut and paste what you stated, it gives me the following:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) 

I hit Y and then I restart my system (I assume that is what you mean by reboot).  When my system restarted and I logged in to my desktop, nothing is happening.  I go to task mgr and it doesn't showing any Chkdsk is running.  Perhaps I missed something or am not doing it properly.

Tried again per #35 guidelines.  Nothing.  Did a Google search on "how to run check disk windows 10 using command prompt administrator."  Found this site:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/command-line-check-disk-windows-7

Do I want to add /R or would /F be better?  I assume both fix and repair errors.  Regardless, it doesn't matter if I can't get it going.  This last time, instead of cut/paste this CHKDSK C: /R I typed it out, but that did not help either.  Let me try it again.

This is the message I get:

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

I type Y, hit enter, and then I restart my system, correct?

Currently, under Boot Execute this is what is shown:

autocheck autochk /r \??\C:
autocheck autochk *

Should I change it to just autocheck autochk *

Is doing all this to be able to run the check disk /r going to fix the corrupt files but risk losing, not being able to access, or open any data that I currently have?  Hypothetically speaking it check disk found and fixes these corrupt files/data, doesn't it delete, erase, or make this data obsolete?

If broken files are not accessible there is nothing to lose by fixing bad sections of you HD... As you have a SSD drive we can change the command to make running chkdsk easier..

Yes please alter the bootexecute value to only this: autocheck autochk *

Next,

Select the Windows key and X Key together. From the produced list select::

Command Promt (Admin)

Accept UAC alert...

At the Command prompt, type

CHKDSK C: /F

hit the Enter key.

You will get a message that the drive cannot be locked, but that the command can be scheduled to run at the next boot - hit the Y key, press Enter, and then reboot.

The CHKDSK may take a few hours depending on the size of the drive, so be patient!

After the CHKDSK has run use the following instructions to find the log:

Check Disk report:

• Press the WindowsKey + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type eventvwr into the run box and click OK.
  • In the left panel, expand Windows Logs and then click on Application.
  • Now, on the right side, click on Filter Current Log.
  • Under Event Sources, (expand the drop down arrow) check only Wininit and click OK.
  • You mayl be presented with one or multiple Wininit logs.
  • Click on an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • On the top main menu, click Action > Copy > Copy Details as Text.
  • Paste the contents into your next reply.

Thanks,

Kevin