RED Screen tech help scam

I have created a 1series of videos generated from these fraud sites for the purposes of recognition and education.  They are all  videos from real web sites.  ALL are FRAUDS.

All these have one thing in common and they have nothing to do with any software on your PC.  They are all nefarious web sites meant to defraud you of money. The objective is to, falsely, goad you to make the phone call and pay for some service contract for an incident that never happened.  From there they may continue to charge your Credit Card for other services, remote into your computer and do real damage and/or exfiltrate your personal data and they may use the information they obtain from you to commit additional frauds.

MalwareScam.wmv
MalwareScam-1.wmv
MalwareScam-2.wmv
MalwareScam-3.wmv
MalwareScam-4.wmv
MalwareScam-5.wmv
MalwareScam-6.wmv

I have also created a PDF ScreenShow of a myriad of FakeAlert screens - FakeAlert-Screens.pdf

Reference:   
US FBI PSA - Tech Support Scam

1.  Also located at "My Online Security" - Some videos of typical tech support scams

They are web sites.  At most Malwarebytes may know the URL of the fraud site to block it.  Since the problem does not come from your PC the logs from your PC are inconsequential and going through them is an act of futility.

These sites are an example of what is called a malvertisement.  Legitimate web sites advertise and semi-legitimate sites over-advertise for click revenue.  Unfortunately the advertising companies and marketing companies sub out to other companies which are usually even less reputable.  The advertisements on a web page may be changed randomly or they they may change in a rotational pattern.  Occasionally a malvertisement is placed in that mix. It could be for a Fake Java or Flash Update or it could be a HTML.FakeAlert like the many I have captured and demonstrated.  Unfortunately they are all too common.  So common I can posts dozens I have captured just in the last few hours.  I had a case where the Weather Channel was caught with malvertisements on July 2016 which is represented by the following fake Firefox update.  As a professional I did what I could to bring it to the Weather Channel's attention.  It wasn't until November 2017 that they responded.

The problem is not on your PC.  It is an Internet wide problem where the best defense is Education.  You can't totally prevent them but you can avoid the web site(s) visited where these malvertisements came from.  You can implement ad-blocking software but they all bog down the Browser.

Image1.jpg.33a1bd3a1d71dea1d60dd3b8f057f

• 2 weeks later...