CANNOT SELECT SCAN OPTIONS

Dimmy

Hi..some advice please. I am using the free version of malware bytes 3 on my sony laptop and windows 7. Sometimes when I run a manual scan I CANNOT get the 3 scan option on screen (THREAT, CUSTOM AND HYPER) to choose from. In fact I have only seen this option choice screen once out of about 10 scans I have run. All I get when I click scan is ..the scan starts immediately with no choices of scans!!!. I have looked in the settings with no luck!....thanks!

Hi..thanks forthe reply...only ONCE when I have clicked on the left scan button as you suggest have I gat the 3 scan options. All other times that I have clicked on the left scan button it goes into a scan straight away with no options...its very hit and miss....I encountered the following main problem recently ..any advice would be appreciated as I am still concerned ..(although my laptop is behaving normally and I have changed my banking passwords). I received a suspicious e mail in my AOL spam folder and stupidly clicked on the link. It said something like A.....(my girlfriend name)  wants to share something with you and the word STREAM was in the link address.  I clicked on the link   because it said it came from my girlfriend and actually gave her name BUT the sender e mail address was NOT  her e mail address...although it came from another AOL e mail address. When I clicked on the link it took me to another page but it said ("PAGE NOT FOUND")...although the british telecom logo was shown .. I closed the page immediately and received NO warning from My NORTON 360 about any threats or attacks. I  ran a Norton 360 full scan and a malware bytes scan..NO threats were found at first (but read on!!.). My laptop is behaving normally. PLEASE let me know if my laptop is likely to have malware or spyware on it? .ALSO my main question is does NORTON 360 protect against malware. phishing and virus`s in E MAIL LINKS in the same way as when your browsing the web? In other words if the link was dodgy and contained spyware etc....would I have got a warning from NORTON 360 on screen ..,which I did not get when I clicked on the link. I have changed my e mail password and my girlfriend has too. .. I am using windows 7.

I ran Malwarebytes free scan a further two times making 3 in total. The first 2 scans revealed "no threats" BUT ....the 3rd scan with malwarebytes revealed a TROJAN MALWARE in my user/app/data.cache...which I quarantined and deleted immediately. I can`t understand why Malwarebytes didn't detect this Trojan in the first 2 scans?. Do you think this Trojan is a coincidence or is it something to do with the dodgy link I clicked on?. I have since run a Norton full system scan AND Norton Power Eraser and no threats were found. If the Trojan was to do with the link and I have got rid of it is it to late and someone would now have my sensitive information? Any further advice greatly appreciated..thanks!

Hello Dimmy.

On 06/02/2018 at 4:24 PM, Dimmy said:

Hi..thanks forthe reply...

You're very welcome!:)

I apologize for the delay in responding. I will try to answer your questions.

only ONCE when I have clicked on the left scan button as you suggest have I gat the 3 scan options. All other times that I have clicked on the left scan button it goes into a scan straight away with no options...its very hit and miss....

That is weird. Perhaps you have an old version of the program. Can you check what version do you have installed? Is it version 2 or 3? If is version 2, please download and install the latest version 3 from this link and check that again.

PLEASE let me know if my laptop is likely to have malware or spyware on it?

Determining if your computer may or may not be infected and what is happening on the system just by the symptoms reported without seeing the logs is not by far an accurate approach. I only can help you further if I can see the logs from your system. Please read the content of the topic I'm infected - What do I do now?, perform the scans and attach the requested logs for review. Then I can tell you if you may still infected or not and clean up the computer if that is the case.

ALSO my main question is does NORTON 360 protect against malware. phishing and virus`s in E MAIL LINKS in the same way as when your browsing the web? In other words if the link was dodgy and contained spyware etc....would I have got a warning from NORTON 360 on screen

I do not know well the Norton 360 product. You can check it further here https://uk.norton.com/360 and compare their versions with the one that you have installed to see what kind of protection it provides.

I ran Malwarebytes free scan a further two times making 3 in total. The first 2 scans revealed "no threats" BUT ....the 3rd scan with malwarebytes revealed a TROJAN MALWARE in my user/app/data.cache...which I quarantined and deleted immediately. I can`t understand why Malwarebytes didn't detect this Trojan in the first 2 scans?. Do you think this Trojan is a coincidence or is it something to do with the dodgy link I clicked on?

Well I can't say that for sure but Malwarebytes probably did not detect the threat since it was not present in the system when you ran the first two scans so it is very likely that it has something to do with the link that you clicked on. The basic rule is NEVER open any attachment to an email, unless you are expecting it. If it is suspicious and you are not expecting it, just delete it.

One thing I can tell you (and I am not a Malwarebytes employee), your system is well protected with Malwarebytes. If you have the Premium version installed you will have a complete and real-time protection.
You can check here and scroll down to find a comparison list of the two versions (Free and Premium).

Are there any questions, do you still want to check the computer for malware or we're done here?

Please let me know what you decide to do.

Rui

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks