Crypto-Ransomware Research Specimens

s1510647

Hello,

The team managing the Facebook page for MalwareBytes has asked me to put my request in the forums for the research team.

I am a Level 6 University student, studying Forensic Computing. I'm researching Crypto-Ransomware for my dissertation, for which I require a reliable and verifiable means of obtaining some specimens of Crypto-Ransomware. My tutor has confirmed that this is vital for  my paper, hence why i am hoping that MalwareBytes could provide some assistance by either providing some samples, or pointing me in the right direction with regards to this.

I am of course happy to send my initial paper to MalwareBytes directly etc.

Thanks,

M. Robbins

Final year student

Please do NOT seek cryptovirology based or other forms of malware samples.  They will not be provided.

If you are a "Level 6 University student, studying Forensic Computing " then hopefully you are taking courses in Ethical Hacking, in the process of obtaining a CISSP.  If that is the case, , you can FIND samples on your own.

3 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

Please do NOT seek cryptovirology based or other forms of malware samples.  They will not be provided.

If you are a "Level 6 University student, studying Forensic Computing " then hopefully you are taking courses in Ethical Hacking, in the process of obtaining a CISSP.  If that is the case, , you can FIND samples on your own.

I am aware of the dangers of obtaining specimens and naturally, isolated environments when configured correctly will provide ample protection, I have conducted Malware Forensics before this. However, for the sake of my Dissertation, I have to use a reliable source to obtain the samples as opposed to simple public/forum-based repositories. Hence the question. The MalwareBytes Facebook team did point me in this direction, so indeed I presume it is okay to request this. Perhaps an email would be more suitable, gathering your response.

I will reiterate a point I made in my initial posting, that my tutor has stated that a reliable source is VITAL to the success of my paper, rather than simply some public repository by some unverified individual. I have undertook various courses and expertise including secure software development, virtualisation, high-redundancy networks along with penetration testing certification and digital forensics.

Edited by s1510647
Missing elaboration.

• Root Admin

Hello @s1510647

Thank you for your post and request. Unfortunately we do not provide samples or links to users as this would not be safe for most. As I'm sure you're aware, many of these samples also depend on how they are delivered and often don't deploy their payload by simply using a flat file download. We use a Malware Hunters group that allows members to both submit samples as well as learn ways to locate and better understand these type of threats. Access to samples are then provided once the member has shown some understanding and an ability to safely work with such samples. I'm not sure what timeline you're working with but typically a Malware Hunter within a couple months or less may be able to access samples or have a better understanding of where to obtain real, live threats. Rarely are flat file samples of any real value these days.

Thank you again for your request but to be safe as well as it be mutually beneficial to us both, we require that you either be a member of our Experts group, or join our Malware Hunters group.

All the best in your continued education

Ron

I will reiterate a point I made in my initial posting, that my tutor has stated that a reliable source is VITAL to the success of my paper, rather than simply some public repository by some unverified individual.

Private repositories are private for a reason, and there's multiple public repositories that are well known and trusted around the InfoSec community. So I don't see what the issue would be. Otherwise, you could always go hunt for samples on your own (set up an honey pot, download obvious infected torrents, etc.)