Web Sites Cannot be Displayed

roryschmitz

Hello,

I'm having issues with web pages not being displayed with the Web Protection module is enabled.  This is happening with two different business I support.  One company is larger (500 seats), and the other is smaller (10 seats).  The larger company only has 1 that is still having the problem so we created a new policy where web protection is disabled.  The smaller company this is happening on at least 8 of the 10 PC's that I can tell.  I've disabled Web protection in the default policy for now.  What gives?  Web Protection was pretty much the main reason we use Malwarebytes.  Now I'm starting to look like I don't know what I'm doing because I recommended going with the Cloud version, after switching off of the on-prem Endpoint Security version.  I'd like to focus the discussion on the

The smaller company was hit with the January 27th issue of PC lockups, no web traffic, reboots, etc.  At that time, they were on the Malwarebytes Premium version, which was installed before I started.  We have since switched them to EP/Cloud version so we are now compliant with the Terms of Agreement. 

The 'Page cannot be displayed' issue doesn't log anything on the web management console so I'm at a loss to what's actually happening with the traffic?  Some pages will come up, but when you click on a site link, it goes to 'page cannot be displayed.'  Other pages won't come up at all.  Uninstalling Endpoint Protection seems to clear the issue.

On a side note, when I make a change to the policy, how long does it take for the client PC's to see that change?  I'm wondering if I'm being too impatient with the changes I have been making?

Thanks, and apologies for the chaotic post.  It's getting stressful over here...

Brent, thanks for the reply.  Glad it's not just me.

Is there a local file on the PC's that need to be removed?  or a registry file?  We've used Revo Uninstaller to fully clean up and files/registry items it found.  Then also used CCleaner to remove any stale registry and temp files.  Still no luck.  Is there an all-in-one Malwarebytes removal tool that will get ride of all remnants of their products so I can start fresh?

Looking at Event Viewer, this is the error that shows up each time we make a policy change to the problem PCs:

2018-02-08 14:20:50,223-06:00 [89] ERROR MBAMPlugin Error scheduling 918cf66b-e443-4a78-87fc-f9a7d5d68be2

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at EAMB3.Commands.ScanCmd.CreateScanParamters(ScanController scanController)

at EAMBAMPlugin.MBAMPlugin.ProcessSchedules(IEngineScheduleHost scheduleHost)

First check Task Scheduler to see if there is any trace of the product - it may be that simple!

Otherwise, you can try to use this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

If any part of Malwarebytes is still installed, it >should< appear in the list to uninstall.  If not, you're going to have to hunt down the product's GUID and use that.

Same issue here, even following uninstall/reinstall of malwarebytes: the sites are still giving errors and not displaying

I know of two URLs that did not display, so I added them to the list of exclusions. That allowed the sites to work .. for one session. When I closed and reopened the browser, the sites give the error that Roryschmitz mentioned above.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I also am not seeing any difference when looking in those locations.  I've even been given a Cloud Cleanup utility by Malwarebytes support and still not working as it should.

Uninstalling the client appears to be the solution.  Also, I feel as though this cloud version is in an early beta stage and should have never been released to the public, let alone charging customers for it.  Corporate support is extremely slow (48 hour responses) and unsuccessful in resolving this issue.  We just want a support phone number to call and work with someone directly.  Such an impossible task to pay for a product and have it work as intended.

Very frustrating...

4 hours ago, roryschmitz said:

Corporate support is extremely slow (48 hour responses) and unsuccessful in resolving this issue.  We just want a support phone number to call and work with someone directly.  Such an impossible task to pay for a product and have it work as intended.

Very frustrating...

^ This, so much this! When the "solution" is to disable part of the product, and support folks are unreachable? #Frustrating.

I have to say this, because, after a few months, I'm more than upset.

A web forum is NOT, repeat NOT, product support!  Not for a small business owner, not for a Managed Services Provider, not for an enterprise support technician. 

A web forum is ancillary to support.

Yes, I look here every day.  Why?  Because it is where I get to learn about problems with this product.  Should I have to?  No, because there shouldn't be problems that crop up every single day!

Sending an email into a black hole doesn't help my confidence that issues are being addressed.

Seeing posts that don't get responses doesn't help my confidence that issues are being addressed.

A product that does not have an 800 number with available technicians to answer phone calls does not help my confidence that the product is enterprise quality software.

There is a hard and fast end date approaching for the Malwarebytes business product - and hundreds, if not thousands, of providers are looking for a solid replacement.

This cloud version has not come close to being that solution.

Sadly, neither has this "support" forum...

Is that number something you'd be willing to share?  When I go to the business support page, no number is listed:  https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/business/pages/contact-us

Even when we had the On-Prem Endpoint Security product prior to this for the larger company I work at, we never had a support number to call.  Has always been tickets or support request e-mails.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, djacobson said:

Rory, your cloud purchase has access to that support channel and the number will be in your original purchase confirmation. Whomever completed the purchase in your company will be who that email went to.

Did you really just threaten to revoke my premium support, then delete the message?  MB clearly must not want us as a customer any longer.  Here's the post I received via email, which when I click on is no longer there:

djacobson said:

Also be warned, if anyone shares their private premium support number in a public place again, we'll revoke that account's premium support. Rory, your cloud purchase has access to that support channel and the number will be in your original purchase confirmation. Whomever completed the purchase in your company will be who that email went to.

I honestly did not know the support number was such a guarded secret.  Aren't you asked to verify your account number when you call?  If so, how would simply putting out the support number get anyone free support.

I'm already considering leaving MB, this may have just made the decision for me.

@BrentB9193 I was trying to be less harsh since the number is hidden now, but I can't really know the extent of the damage. You having the number and calling it is verification that you bought the service. You're doing yourself, and everyone else that purchased this support level, a disservice by sharing a private number for priority service you paid for, if everyone has the number due to it being released publicly we will no longer be able to effectively serve those that opted in, with us possible needing to change the number if it gets out of hand. And yes, we can revoke it if you keep posting it irresponsibly.

15 minutes ago, djacobson said:

@BrentB9193 I was trying to be less harsh since the number is hidden now, but I can't really know the extent of the damage. You having the number and calling it is verification that you bought the service. You're doing yourself, and everyone else that purchased this support level, a disservice by sharing a private number for priority service you paid for, if everyone has the number due to it being released publicly we will no longer be able to effectively serve those that opted in, with us possible needing to change the number if it gets out of hand. And yes, we can revoke it if you keep posting it irresponsibly.

Here's what my original confirmation from MB says:

Thank you for purchasing Malwarebytes Business Support. Your support phone number is XXX-XXX-XXXX. Be sure to reference your order number when you call. Hours: Monday to Friday 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM Pacific Time, excluding standard U.S. public holidays.

How are we as customers supposed to know this is a private number?  All other support vendors I have list the support number publicly on their website.  Whether you get through to actual support is determined by having an active account number The email says nothing about this.  Maybe MB should do a better job of explaining how their support process differs from most other software vendors and try not threatening their customers.

Wow... just... wow.

So this is why the mail helpdesk takes 24 hours to respond to anything? They're too busy answering the phone for 'premium' customers?

BTW we are an MSP and still get really poor support (whether via phone or email), so maybe instead of threatening your customers you should hire some more engineers?

I was giving a stern warning, I didn't threaten anyone. I edited the post as I wanted to change my approach and bring this serious concern up with Brent directly in a PM later. But as you can see, it didn't go down like that.

24 hours is your SLA for free support through email. Phone calls are 4 hours.

I'm not in control of hiring staff.

12 hours ago, djacobson said:

I was giving a stern warning, I didn't threaten anyone. I edited the post as I wanted to change my approach and bring this serious concern up with Brent directly in a PM later. But as you can see, it didn't go down like that.

24 hours is your SLA for free support through email. Phone calls are 4 hours.

I'm not in control of hiring staff.

If you would have checked you would have seen that CHMOD had already contacted me back on 2/22 via PM and hid the number then.  They also politely explained the reason for hiding it at that time.

So I'm really not even sure what you were trying to address as the post was already hidden.

Could we please go back to the original topic? Those who want/need to discuss phone number usage, please go somewhere else.

This thread was for the handful of PCs with web filtering enabled, but malwarebytes blocks ALL web traffic, not just bad sites, all of them.

And yes I believe this is still a problem.

I made a mistake and I wanted to change my approach to the subject. You're right, I could've done more behind the scenes first, querying the mod who had hid the post to see if they had contacted you to discuss it. I apologize for that.

To summarize and soften the message, this was the point I was trying to make; guys, if you have a higher tier support than the default free email level, please don't share your contact channels. It has the potential to negatively impact that service for everyone on the tier, the customers like yourself that use it, the employees that maintain it and the documentation that surrounds it.

Just an update on my situation.  I had not called yet, been extremely busy, but the issue is still happening.  I will likely reach out via phone when I have some time, but we are now noticing in the larger company of 500 licenses where only 1 or 2 were not working with the web protection enabled, now more and more are popping up whereas they worked fine as of this thread creation.  Up to around 30 or so devices.  I've since just disable web protection on all 500 devices through the default policy until I can call.  No logs or events are generated from the EP web portal, but we do see Windows Event Log errors from Malwarebytes at the time the issues occur.  The context of them isn't helpful to me per se, rather more technical that Malwarebytes support could decipher. 

The smaller company is still having the problem as well, just leaving web protection disabled on those 10 devices as well.