Hi, Ive searched the forum but the search facility seems to be having problems at the moment.

Am I able to scan a CD for malware using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware? I got a trojan yesterday and the only place I think it could have come from is a CD a purchased from eBay. I looked into the software and even tried using the MBAM.exe but cannot seem to run a scan against my D: drive??!!

Hi,

Malwarebytes like to delete the malware files, and the cd files are read only (except some type of packet writing feature with RW disks but this is not the classic way).

You can scan the cd to look for malwares, there are several ways to do this, you can for example :

- start a full scan and select your cd drive

- right click the cd drive icon in "My computer" and ask for a scan.

Hi,

Malwarebytes like to delete the malware files, and the cd files are read only (except some type of packet writing feature with RW disks but this is not the classic way).

You can scan the cd to look for malwares, there are several ways to do this, you can for example :

- start a full scan and select your cd drive

- right click the cd drive icon in "My computer" and ask for a scan.

Hi, thanks for your reply - the 'right-click' worked a treat! As it happens there weren't any dodgy files on the CD??!!!

Hi, thanks for your reply - the 'right-click' worked a treat! As it happens there weren't any dodgy files on the CD??!!!

Please keep in mind that when you right-click on a file, folder, or drive to scan it, that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware does not use it's heuristics. Since most of the malware that MBAM will detect is through heuristics, there is then a huge gap in the detection capabilities.

What you want to do is perform a "Full Scan", and uncheck every drive in the list except the CD drive. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will then start out with a Quick Scan of certain system files and registry entries, and then move on to scanning the drive you selected.