MB v3 is blocking userportal.driversupport

why is Malwarebytes  v3.3.1.2183 blocking userportal.driversupport

I realize MB is stating a detection as malicious, however first I do not know why Norton's ncolow.exe is part of this detection as I do not have DriverSupport, DriverHQ or Driver Detective installed.

IP  162.242.141.143 that it shows per Whois belongs to Cloud Loadbalancing a Service, which gives me no clue as to what program may have initiated an Outbound utilizing ncolow.exe 

I do use 3 different web-browser simultaneously does anyone have insight to how this may occur ?   Thank you, Doc

image.png.fa6b255ec6f4d1f087443ec62a672614.png

I was trying to edit my original post to update when another Block occurred same outbound IP and address userportal.driversupport.com via Norton's ncolow.exe   occurring 46 min since the last block by MB.  I have been computing since 1983 (35 yrs)

The Update is as follows   

I also have on going issues with Malwarebytes Premium since Sep 2017 (Windows 10, 64-bit, with 12GB, AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 3.50GHz)  after an update installation to 3.2.2 Malwarebytes on occasion would not open ( support ticket 2080184).   

Even the MB Tray Application Icon disappeared, both issues (not opening or appearing in my tray) repeated themselves even after uninstalling MB 3.2.2 and reinstalling.  The same issue occurred after the update to v3.3.1   

Part of my procedure is to check Task Manager for MB Process, and I re-boot.  On occasion I might have to re-boot 2 or 3 times before I can Use MB.  I never get a BSOD or as it is now referred to Stop Code in Windows 10.

I could not locate a Malwarebytes Fix/Tool/Repair file to download nor had I found a cause for the MB Folder C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware  disappearing.  

I run Norton 360 in conjunction, daily scans both programs.  I even used Norton's Power Eraser hoping to determine a probable cause.

Each time I tried to Open MB, when it failed...I would open Task Manager and noted that the Malwarebytes Service was Running, not the program...then I tried Manually launching MB and the main Screen would not open, however the Process showed the MB Service as running with Memory at 1.7MB, Service at 0.1%

After Support Tickets 2080184 (25Sep 2017), 2116002 (1Nov2017), 2134303 (17Nov-7Dec2017) on occasion even with MB 3.3.1, I have had to reboot sometimes 2 or 3 times before MB would appear and I was able to open.

Another issue I have with MB Premium is the Scan for Rootkits option in settings, is frequently disabled for unknown cause.  And I found it disabled again, I enabled and ran a quick scan with negative results, before running the following.

I have used  mb-check-3.1.9.1001.exe and frst64.exe  as part of responding to Support Tickets

If I attempt to run MB Check, I receive "The Eula was not agreed to"   Currently Running frst64.exe  which attached are FRST.txt & Addition.txt

image.png.321c21cc409429ac88be829fd6f2491a.png

2018-2Feb-MB-Website-Blocked-162.242.141.143-userportal.driversupport.com-1450hrs.jpg

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

I was trying to edit my original post to update when another Block occurred same outbound IP and address userportal.driversupport.com via Norton's ncolow.exe   occurring 46 min since the last block by MB

The Update is as follows   

I also have on going issues with Malwarebytes Premium (Windows 10, 64-bit, with 12GB, AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 3.50GHz)  after the update installation to 3.2.2  Malwarebytes on occasion would  not open ( support ticket 2080184).   Even the MB Tray Application Icon disappeared, both issues repeated themselves even after uninstalling MB 3.2.2 and reinstalling, same issue occurred after the update to v3.3.1   

I always check Task Manager for MB Process, and I re-boot.  On occasion I might have to re-boot 2 or 3 times before I can Use MB.  

and I could not locate a Malwarebytes Fix/Tool/Repair file to download nor had I found a cause for the MB Folder C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware  disappearing.  I run Norton 360 in conjunction, daily scans both programs.  I even used Norton's Power Eraser hoping to determine a possible cause.

Each time I tried to Open MB, and it failed to open...I opened Task Manager and noted that the Malwarebytes Service was Running, not the program...then I tried Manually launching MB and the main Screen would not open, however as a Process showed the MB Service as running with Memory at 1.7MB, Service at 0.1%

After Support Tickets 2080184 (25Sep 2017), 2116002 (1Nov2017), 2134303 (17Nov-7Dec2017) on occasion even with MB 3.3.1, I have had to reboot sometimes 2 or 3 times before MB would appear and I was able to open.

Hello @FireDocUSMC47

MB-check would give us a lot more information on the blocks and also general Malwarebytes related information for the product installed on your system.

In your previous post you mentioned "If I attempt to run MB Check, I receive "The Eula was not agreed to""

Can you try running mb-check in the safe mode and send us the logs.

Thank you.

Hello @FireDocUSMC47

As far as the Malwarebytes detections are concerned we are correctly blocking userportal.malwarebytes.com for PUP's. (Potentially unwanted programs)

The question as to why Norton is trying to access that specific website , our logs do not show anything related to that,

Is there a way you could send us some Norton logs to check this out? Or another option is try to reach out in their forums for more information.

Thank you 

I have already sent/attached FRST.txt , mb-check-results.txt and Addition.txt  on 2 Feb 2018 

I am done messing with trying to  reason the cause.  I am very disappointed with Malwarebytes as a result of so many other issues

Malwarebytes Support Ticket # since 28 Oct 2017, 1 Nov 2017, 17 Nov 2017, 28 Nov 2017

Unknown whether Windows 10's Defender Security Center notifying me to Open Malwarebytes needs attention, to Defender being disabled in order for Norton 360 to do it's thing in protecting (see 1st attached image of Windows Defender Security Center), the items I had to manually configure per Malwarebytes 1 Nov 2017 of Norton's Settings...I presume to make Norton more compatible with Malwarebytes, 

• Open the Norton product installed
  • Click Settings (fig. 1)
  • Click Antivirus (fig. 2)
  • Click Scans and Risks
  • Use the scroll bar to scroll down. Next to Items to Exclude from Scans, click Configure (fig. 4)
  • Click Add Folders (fig. 5)
  • Enter C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes into the text field and click OK (fig. 6)
  • Repeat for C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes
  • Click Add Files (fig. 7)
  • Enter C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys into the text field and click OK (fig. 8)
  • Repeat for the following files:
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamchameleon.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\farflt.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys (64-bit)
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae.sys (32-bit; enter both if unsure)
  • Click Apply followed by OK
  • Next to Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect, SONAR and Download Intelligence Detection, click Configure (fig. 10)
  • Click Add Folders (fig. 11)
  • Enter C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes into the text field and click OK (fig. 6)
  • Repeat for C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes
  • Click Add Files
  • Enter C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys into the text field and click OK (fig. 8)
  • Repeat for the following files:
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamchameleon.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\farflt.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys (64-bit)
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae.sys (32-bit; enter both if unsure)
  • Click Apply followed by OK (fig. 13)
  • Click Close (fig. 14)
  • Click Firewall
  • Click Program Control (fig. 16)
  • Click Add (fig. 17)
  • Navigate to the C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware folder by expanding the folders using the Open+Folder.png button (fig. 18)
  • Select the mbam.exe file and click OK
  • Next to Options, ensure Allow always is selected. Click OK (fig. 19)
  • Repeat for C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • Click Apply followed by Close to finish

Please let me know if this works to solve the issue. If not then we have other steps to take.

Thank you,

Daniel N| Malwarebytes Consumer Support | support.malwarebytes.com

---------

And Norton no longer has the Option to Clean Windows Registry, nor is it recommended to use Registry Cleaner Programs, however with Norton you can run NPE (Norton's Power Eraser) which the one time I ran NPE, it found 2 registry issues not significant in my opinion regarding Firefox

Registry\Machine\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.exe\shell\safemode\command\

I have been using Computers since 1983, PC DOS 3.0, then  MS-DOS 3.31, DOS-5, Dos 6.1, Dos 6.22, Windows 3.0, 3.11, 95, 98, ME, XP,  Vista, Win 7, Win 10.  And when the Commercial Internet service providers (ISPs) emerged, and I worked for Mountain State Communication MSCOMM, Internet service provider, Victorville, CA 1992 on my days off from FF.

I have been using Norton Antivirus since 1996 and Malwarebytes since 2008, on several PC's and devices, totaling 8

And when Computing having issues, could mean between ISP service Comcast, Microsoft Windows, Norton, Malwarebytes, HP/Compaq, Acer, Kodiak, Epson, Dell, Lenovo, and other purchased Software I use...requires my time communicating via phone or e-mail to resolve issues, which I am not paid for, however Techs and Customer Service of these Business Entities are paid to take my call or e-mail.  They already have my time and money.

To Answer "Is there a way you could send us some Norton logs to check this out? Or another option is try to reach out in their forums for more information."

No, I have done this, and as for Forums, all one ever reads is someone else with the same issue or similar and no resolution....more time wasted...been there and done that, first coarse of action is to Search online an/the issue...to see if Norton, Malwarebytes, HP, Acer, Dell, Epson, Lenovo, Microsoft, has the answer which is rare.

I perform screen captures or take digital pictures and make notes of when an  issue occurs.  I look for utilities by Manufactures to scan and report back as I have with Malwarebytes, Norton, Microsoft, etc.  I also check for Workarounds hoping an Update, Upgrade or New Version has rectified or I move to another Computer to continue my Research and yes to backing up my work.

I also have other issues I am currently working on, of this Acer PC and another Acer PC. 

At the moment I am done trying to figure out why Malwarebytes has issues on this Acer PC, as my other PC's 2 HP's, and a Dell, do not,

One HP still runs XP Pro for software needs & purpose.

2 other PC's a Lenovo Laptop runs Windows 10 and a Dell Tower runs Windows 7

2 Acer's one upgraded from Win7 to Windows 10 which currently is down, as I am trying to get a clean install of Windows 10 Pro,

This Acer came pre-installed with Windows 10, which is currently having the Malwarebytes issues and have had issues since Oct 2017.

Added another screen capture of Windows Defender Security Center, as Windows stated I could allow Defender to check periodically, and when I attempted to enable periodic check, Norton interrupted and wants me to Disable Limited Periodic Scanning.

Appreciate your Time and Replies, Doc

Windows10-Defender-Security-Center-settings-6Feb2018.jpg

Windows10-Defender-Security-Center-settings-6Feb2018-2.jpg

Edited by FireDocUSMC47