why does web protection turn itself off

Just now, msaine said:

Why does MWB3 randomly turn off web protection? Seems to happen a lot more lately.

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues.... Please use an Administrator account when doing the following,

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  5. Press the "Scan" button
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  7. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  8. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  10. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  11. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

22 minutes ago, msaine said:

Can't tell if files were added or not so I will try again

mb-check-results.zip

Each case is different. You protection is on according to your logs. Please do the below and see if that helps prevent it in the future.

I would like you to add these files to your Anti-Virus exclusions list as mentioned in this FAQ HERE (my list below includes the exe files as well) Please restart your computer you do this.

For Microsoft Security Essentials.

Add these to FILE exclusions

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys

C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys

Add to Process exclusions the following files. (copy and paste works best on these)

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\malwarebytes_assistant

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamwow.exe

Folders

Also the MB folder in Program Files and the one in Program Data (it is hidden by default)

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes   (Enable hidden files to add this one.)

Here are instructions that fellow member @Firefox  put together that will help you exclude the MB3 Files in MSE.

1. Open MSE
2. Click On Settings
3. Click on Excluded processes
4. Click On Browse
image.png.b102371a7122d95d5f1c30d30d0a0888.png
5. Expand to the file locations and choose the file you want and click OK
image.png.722d7afe07253e7d322755951a3db14a.png
6. Repeat for all other EXE files
7. Once you have added all EXE files, and they are listed in Process names: Then click on Add (they will move to the bottom)
image.png.4f26e0ea5d5e229f2dacecadbcd719f6.png
8. Click on Save Changes
image.png.29b40682fc2c95c236e88ce76a54bbb5.png
9. Click on YES to Allow changes (User Account Control)
10. For the files that end in .SYS use Exclude files and locations
11. Browse to the location for the *.sys files, Click OK
12. Follow the same procedures as with the *.exe files to add all sys files and then click Add Followed by Save Changes

image.png.48ff253b002363be4c0380bcccee52ca.png

Are you a politician?  What kind of answer is that :) I thought there was a conflict running two "anti-virus" programs. I am already concerned that Malwarebytes doesn't start for a couple of minutes after I start up my computer,  At least the icon doesn't appear for about two minutes.

When is this "new release" mentioned above coming out?

I, too, am unable to make real time web protection stay turned on.  I keep getting the pop-up that it is turned off, I click to turn it on, and it almost immediately tells me that it is turned off again.  I have rebooted and restarted numerous times but to no avail.  I do not have MSE but do have Windows Defender and it just did a scan and said all was ok.  I have looked in the Windows Defender Security Center about adding exclusions but am really nervous about doing that.  I am not very computer literate and afraid of clicking the wrong thing.          Will there be a fix soon? 

Thank you.............thais                         

I ran the FRST64.exe and both FRST.txt and Addition.txt were saved in my Downloads folder.

I then ran the mb-check and it saved the mb-check-results.zip folder on my desktop.

I then tried to upload the mb-check-results.zip folder to this thread but it wouldn't attach. 

What am I doing wrong.

Thanks..........thais

I have not yet used the mb-clean as you instructed but have been reading the various threads on the forum and noticed that somebody else mentioned their Component Package Version had reverted to  version 1.0.0.  I checked mine and noticed that it, too, had reverted to 1.0.0 from its previous 1.0.262.  I don't know when it reverted but must have been fairly recently.  Would this account for my real time protection not staying turned on?  Would the mb-clean still correct the problem?

Sorry to be such a sissy............thais

OK - So I ran the mb-clean and reinstalled Malwarebytes.  Before I installed it, I deactivated my Malwarebytes Premium (as suggested in the instructions) .  After the new Malwarebytes was installed, it ran a scan; however, it says I have the free version.  I can't figure how to get back to the Premium account.  I clicked the Activate License button and put in all of the license ID and key numbers but there was no place to "submit".  How do I get my Premium version back?

mb-clean-results.txt

Edited by thais
add text file

8 minutes ago, thais said:

Before I installed it, I deactivated my Malwarebytes Premium (as suggested in the instructions)

I just double checked(wanted to make sure) the instructions and it does not tell you to deactivate MB. It says the tool will do it automatically and reactivate it again as well, automatically. 

Now we have to do it the manual way see here. https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1142

Edited by Porthos

Hallelujah!  Success!   Thank you very much, Porthos, for sticking with me thru this.  I am not very computer literate and when things go wrong, I panic.

By the way, this is why I deactivated before uninstalling/reinstalling:

What do I need to know before running MB-Clean?

• Warning: although it automatically backs up and injects the license key, it's recommend you backup or obtain the licensing information before running the tool in order to restore the paid version
  • Warning:  we also recommend deactivating the product before running the tool. Refer to the links under "Helpful Resources" for detailed instructions
  • It does not clean Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile

25 minutes ago, thais said:

By the way, this is why I deactivated before uninstalling/reinstalling:

What do I need to know before running MB-Clean?

• Warning: although it automatically backs up and injects the license key, it's recommend you backup or obtain the licensing information before running the tool in order to restore the paid version
  • Warning:  we also recommend deactivating the product before running the tool. Refer to the links under "Helpful Resources" for detailed instructions
  • It does not clean Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile

Very well, I can't fault you there. Glad you got it reactivated. :)

Thanks for the update and your continued support of Malwarebytes. If you have any more issues don’t hesitate to post.

Everyone else reading this topic and need assistance, Please START your OWN NEW Topic by clicking >HERE<  Do not reply to another user's post/topics. Not all fixes will work for all users/issues and you will get better/faster help one on one.