spam from mbam?

brynn

Hi Friends,

I moderate a gallery on a graphics website.  I've just now deleted 5 spam postings, which all advertise a tollfree phone number for Malwarebytes support.  I hope you will tell me it it's a malicious action targetting MBAM, and not something initiated by this community.  I've always held MBAM security products in the highest regard, so I hope I can continue with that sentiment.

The first few sentences from the description the spammer posted, along with the images below, and I've left out the actual number:

Malwarebytes Tech Support Phone Number Malwarebytes Antivirus contact number, Malwarebytes Antivirus telephone number. Malwarebytes Antivirus phone number, Malwarebytes Antivirus support phone number, Malwarebytes Antivirus techncal support phone number.Malwarebytes help phone number, Malwarebytes help number.

I'm not sure how long I can hold the user's info, before it's all deleted.  But in case you want to investigate, it might be possible to share the user's info.

All best,

brynn

There is a massive campaign all over the Internet by what is called Spam Flooding.

A spam flood is where numerous posts are made.  In this case not only numerous spam posts but by numerous people.

While Malwarebytes is a target, they are spamming fake tech support numbers for just about every common software and service you can imagine.

Google Search Example on spam'd phone number: 833-327-2999

Edited by David H. Lipman
Spelling, Grammar and Clarification

• Administrators
1 hour ago, brynn said:

Hi Friends,

I moderate a gallery on a graphics website.  I've just now deleted 5 spam postings, which all advertise a tollfree phone number for Malwarebytes support.  I hope you will tell me it it's a malicious action targetting MBAM, and not something initiated by this community.  I've always held MBAM security products in the highest regard, so I hope I can continue with that sentiment.

The first few sentences from the description the spammer posted, along with the images below, and I've left out the actual number:

I'm not sure how long I can hold the user's info, before it's all deleted.  But in case you want to investigate, it might be possible to share the user's info.

All best,

brynn

Thanks for letting us know, @brynn. We did not initiate this in any way. As @David H. Lipman mentioned, there is a massive campaign happening right now. We unfortunately are a target for both spam attacks and being used in the actual spam messages.

brynn:

I wanted to show you that Malwarebytes is both a Target and a Victim of this massive spam flooder attack on the Internet.

The below screen capture shows a spammer posting in this forum purporting to provide Phone Support for Malwarebytes.  They are a Fraud and don't represent Malwarebytes nor any entity they purport to support.  They are in fact attacking this Forum and they are also attacking the Malwarebytes Brand in their actions. 

It is important to note that Malwarebytes is a victim in the spam flooding of this Forum and in the abuse of their name whom they do NOT represent.

Image1.thumb.jpg.17db1cf9b0ce05689c2d1f45301f6750.jpg

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and grammar

Oh, I'm so relieved!  I mean it's not great news in the end, but at least it's not as bad as I thought.

Wow, just did a search for spam flooding, to learn more about it.  There's a YouTube ad right now, on the first page of results, offering to pay people to do the spamming!  I would report it to YT, except I'm not hooked up to social media and don't have an account.

Well anyway, I'm glad I still have the best anti-malware program around, and it's still totally reputable!

22 minutes ago, brynn said:

offering to pay people to do the spamming! 

Of course, Why else would it be so active and wide spread. ;) I am sure there are some clueless people sitting at home looking for "work" from home gig's that would jump on the opportunity.:rolleyes: