Damage from the Saturday update still not fixed

Hi Ron,

It's a desktop, about 5 yrs old with a conventional HDD. There is an external USB drive that's used for back up and that's it. I swapped out the ethernet cable and see no change in status: says it's connected to the network (router) but no internet access. It doesn't seem to matter if the external drive is plugged in or not.

I followed the instruction for using the Google public DNS and that doesn't seem to make any difference either.

It's might be worth noting when this problem first started after uninstalling Malwarebytes on the 27th, the network adapter seemed to think it had internet access but nothing would connect. Since we started running the diagnostics, etc., it now says it's connected to the network but does not have internet access. I did have to do a couple of hard shut downs during the incident on the 27th although I assume chkdsk would have discovered any damage from that?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Yes, it is showing it's connecting.

Can you try doing a factory reset on your router? If you've never done it before you might want to print out instructions ahead of time to review but normally it's pretty simple. Then just make sure you put a good strong password on the router.

• Root Admin

Let's go ahead and remove the network card from the device manager. Then restart the computer. It should automatically reinstall the device for you.

Open device manager. Locate the network card entry and right click over it and select to remove the device. Then restart the computer and see what you have.

Ron

Hi Ron - I did as you suggested. Booted into safe mode with networking. Still no internet. I assume that implies it's not a virus blocking the connection. BTW, I did do a system scan with Bitdefender right after the problem showed up and it didn't detect anything. Took it like 4 hrs, lol.

Anyway, I await your next idea. Thanks!

Gary

• Root Admin

Hi Gary,

What is the Manufacturer name and the model number of this computer?

Let me have you run the following for me too.

Provide System Specifications:

• Please download Speccy from here and save the installer to your desktop or another location where you can easily find it.
  • Double-click the file to begin installation and follow the onscreen steps to complete the installation and make sure that the checkbox next to Run Speccy is checked before you click on Finish at the end.
  • Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.
  • Once it finishes and none of the areas say Analyzing click on the File button at the top and select Save Snapshot...
  • Save the file to your desktop and click Ok to confirm
  • Go to your desktop and right click on the file you just created and hover over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the zip file you just created to your next post

• Root Admin

Hi Gary,

Please download the following files and install them in the order listed.

#1  Intel INF installation ver 9.4.0.1027  http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_chipset_intel_7series.exe

Reboot after installing #1

#2 Realtek LAN Driver  ver 7.088.0617.2014  http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/motherboard_driver_lan_realtek_8111_w7.exe

#3 Realtek Ethernet Diagnostic Utility  ver 2.0.2.7  http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_lan_realtek_rtltool_2.0.2.7.exe

Download, but do not install this just yet.

#4 LAN Optimizer (Realtek)  ver 1.0.2.5  http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_lan-optimizer_realtek.exe
(Note) Support Intel 9/8/7/6 series and AMD FM2+/FM2/AM1/9 series motherboards with Realtek LAN chip

Retest and see if it connects now or not and let me know.

Ron

• Root Admin

Thanks.

You can download the attached zip file. It has a registry change to change the color, size, and quick edit settings of your command prompt so that you can use the command prompt better to copy and paste to it easily.

set_cmd_prompt.zip

Once you've done that, then open a new command prompt and type the following 2 commands and copy/paste the results back please.

PING     4.4.4.4

TRACERT 4.4.4.4

• Root Admin

Can you take the Ethernet cable from the computer and temporarily bypass the router and plug it directly into your computer and wait till it connects. Then see if you're able to browse the web or ping 4.4.4.4

Also try from Safe Mode

That will take the other working computer offline until you plug the line back into the main router.

Hi Ron,

Okay, I connected directly to the feed. No luck. It said it was connected to an unidentified network (after rebooting) but still no internet.

The router itself still thought the computer was connected throughout this. As a matter of fact, the router thinks the computer is connected regardless of whether the computer is or not. That is, I can unplug the ethernet cable and it still shows connected according to the router. When I reset the router earlier, the connection of course didn't show up, but once that computer is connected, even momentarily, the router always shows it connected. Not sure if that is relevant or not.

Thanks!

It was Bitdefender when this started, but we uninstalled that so as to eliminate any interference during this process. Now it's the Windows one. I think Windows Defender is running as well since it defaulted to that when Bitdefender was uninstalled.

Windows firewall seems to think it's connected even though the cable isn't connected and there is no wifi adapter.

• Root Admin

Do you know how to go into the Services and set Windows Defender and the Firewall to Disabled?

I'd like to set both of those to disabled. Then restart the computer.

Make sure the Ethernet cable is connected and see if you have access to the web with both Defender and Firewall disabled.

Hi Ron,

Done. No change on restart. The machine can connect in LAN (could even play Minecraft with the grandkids), just won't go past the router. Disabling Firewall and Defender (via services) didn't seem to change anything. I'm beginning to think we are looking at a reinstall or something equally drastic. The fact that I can't do a system restore in addition to these other things worries me about the integrity of the whole thing...

Thanks!

Gary

• Root Admin

Do you happen to have any external network cards to try?

It's certainly an odd one. Sends signal out but then as though something is blocking the return. Might suspect a bad route on the settings but we reset that. Then on the router itself we reset and you have other working devices.

Let me have you try an SFC (System File Checker) scan.

Open an elevated admin command prompt. Then type in the following and let it run.

SFC  /SCANNOW

Take a screen shot or copy/paste the results from the DOS command prompt once it's done please.

Ron