JS:lockyDownloader this little @#$%∞#

• Staff

That is not actually something that will affect your Mac. It is a JavaScript downloader for Windows malware (assuming that Avast's diagnosis is correct).

Avast is detecting a JavaScript attached to a Mail message. Malwarebytes for Mac will not scan your Mail files, and we don't think anyone else should be either. If Mail files are removed by a third-party program, that will cause two things to happen:

1. It can result in corrupted mailboxes in Mail, and thus to potential loss of data
  2. Removing files in this manner will not properly remove those messages from the mail server, in the case of syncing with an IMAP server, so the file will still be on the server and could be re-downloaded by either Mail or on some other device.

In all honesty, the place for scanning e-mail messages is on the server, not on the desktop. You should talk to your mail provider and find out if they have some kind of malware scanning that can be enabled.

• Staff
7 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

Is Avast actually installed on this device or is it a FakeAlert masquerading as Avast ?

That looks like a real Avast alert, though of course I can't say for sure from the screenshot that it isn't a really convincing fake that was loaded in a web browser.

On 30/1/2018 at 2:23 PM, treed said:

That is not actually something that will affect your Mac. It is a JavaScript downloader for Windows malware (assuming that Avast's diagnosis is correct).

Avast is detecting a JavaScript attached to a Mail message. Malwarebytes for Mac will not scan your Mail files, and we don't think anyone else should be either. If Mail files are removed by a third-party program, that will cause two things to happen:

1. It can result in corrupted mailboxes in Mail, and thus to potential loss of data
  2. Removing files in this manner will not properly remove those messages from the mail server, in the case of syncing with an IMAP server, so the file will still be on the server and could be re-downloaded by either Mail or on some other device.

In all honesty, the place for scanning e-mail messages is on the server, not on the desktop. You should talk to your mail provider and find out if they have some kind of malware scanning that can be enabled.

Hy

thanks so much for your response...

The message is a bit boring but in the end the important thing that does not create problems ... at least I hope so :)I have 5 accounts installed with different providers and every day I receive about 300 spam emails ...
I think first of all I will try to do a thorough cleaning of the emails

Thank you so much for your cooperation