Can't start Web Protection on Malware 3.3.1

53 minutes ago, Robert- said:

I've done the application updates (etc.).

:welcome:  I see its been almost a year since you last needed help:)

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues.... Please use an Administrator account when doing the following,

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  5. Press the "Scan" button
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  7. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  8. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  10. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  11. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

• Staff

If you guys are still having issues with Web-Protection can you please try this:

1.First quit Malwarebytes from system tray .
2. Open up a command prompt as Administrator
3. Type in (without quotes) "sc delete mbamwebprotection" 
4. Reboot computer
5. Enable Web protection from MBAM UI

Let us know if that fixed the web protection issue.

6 minutes ago, Robert- said:

Please let me know next steps.  Thanks!

I want you to do 2 things. Do not leave out the second step because it seems to be fixed...

First,

Let us get a clean install of the current version. 3.3.1

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

The clean removal tool will backup your license information and then re-enter the license to the new install.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to re-install the latest product.

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed.

If it does not offer the new install after the reboot you can download and install from here. 

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3  

Next...

I would like you to add these files to your Norton Anti-Virus exclusions list as mentioned in this FAQ HERE (my list below includes the exe files as well) Please restart your computer you do this.

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\malwarebytes_assistant.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamwow.exe
  • C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys

Also please exclude the following folders too: (The complete folder)

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService

Prothos, I did  your ask first from another thread and started a new topic before I noticed your note.  Zip file is attached.   You just replied to it.  I did the process Nikhils requested, that process actually fixed the issue.  However, I have seen the issue fixed before (in the last week) and a day later the problem was back.  I am fixed as of 7:10 pm EST.  I'll check tomorrow morning and in the future to see how long I stay fixed.  Please let me know if you want to close this thread and have me start replying to your latest answer.  Apologies for duel e-mail threads...

2 hours ago, Robert- said:

Done, 8:30 pm EST and Web Protection is still on.  Thanks!!

Thanks for the update and your continued support of Malwarebytes. If you have any more issues don’t hesitate to post.:)

Anyone else reading this topic and need assistance not all fixes will work for all users. , Please START your OWN NEW Topic. HERE

On 28/1/2018 at 9:11 PM, nikhils said:

If you guys are still having issues with Web-Protection can you please try this:

4. Reboot computer

THIS. It did the trick for me. Works a charm now.

A follow up to close the loop: when I did the process Nikhil outlined, that solved my problem.  I did add the exclusions to Norton, which might be why my problem has not come back.  Thanks to Porthos for helping!  As you said in the other post, perhaps I will again return in about a year.....  Hope not (hope all is good from now on).

Thank you again!

Robert

On 1/28/2018 at 9:11 PM, nikhils said:

4. Reboot computer

This apparently has fixed the issue for now. 

This is my second go around with this issue. 

A week or so ago it did the webprotection will not start routine. At that time I used the MBAM Clean approach and reinstalled clean 3.31. Today for some reason it decided to kick off again. This is a Win 10 laptop, running all latest updates.

I really wish MBAM would find out the root cause and quit solving the issue at hand. Something is wrong between Win 10 and MBAM. Here is an interesting observation. Both times this has happened on the initial restart after rebooting the splash screen had changed on the win 10 log in page.

excuses excuses

I am back, now on Feb 3 - 2 days later - and malwarebytes kicks out once again. 

@Nikhils, Tried your fix again and this time it reports

Failed 1060

"The Specified Service does not exist as an installed service"

On 1/28/2018 at 9:11 PM, nikhils said:

4. Reboot computer

I like MBAM and think it is one of the best protections out there - when it is working- obviously it is having issues with some software/win10 system - However MBAM IS SUPPOSED TO WORK WITH ALL THE SOFTWARE __ - The root cause needs to be found - I paid for the premium service because I believed it was one of the best. 

This is way too much trouble to put up with on a regular basis. If I can help send some logs let me know, I am about ready to find another service.

11 minutes ago, Fred46 said:

excuses excuses

I am back, now on Feb 3 - 2 days later - and malwarebytes kicks out once again. 

Since this was your second post I presume you were looking to fix your issue. Software conflicts are not excuses.

11 minutes ago, Fred46 said:

However MBAM IS SUPPOSED TO WORK WITH ALL THE SOFTWARE __

There are things that can conflict. The only way to find out is to follow the following instructions.

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues.... Please use an Administrator account when doing the following,

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  5. Press the "Scan" button
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  7. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  8. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  10. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip

Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

Edited by Porthos

• 2 months later...