PunishedPCuser

HDD damage check after MBAM bugged update?

Should I run some sort of test to see if this update that was released on last saturday cause any loss of integral files on my PC? Ive read on the main stick concerning this that it might cause loss of files in the HDD, but I wanna hear it from the developers themselves.

I also ask because after some restarts (prior to the solution being published) my hard drive got 20gb of extra free space, but I dont know if that just was temporary files and whatnot (also not the first time my hdd frees up some space, usualy after a windows update, so that why im dubious)

The update shouldn't have any impacts there. The only thing that may have taken up space would be any Web Protection blocks that may have occurred, and those should be located in %ProgramData%\Malwarebytes\mbamservice\MwacDetections. There might be a lot of files in there. However those files shouldn't have freed up any space on reboot, but perhaps there was a Windows.old folder from a recent update like you mentioned that was finally cleaned up.

Ok, I was suspecting that might be the case.

Thanks for the answer, and lets hope such problem never happens again, it sure scared the hell out of me thinking  that my PC was about to die at any moment.

Any idea why I can't delete all of those files?  When I try, Windows complains I need to be from the Administrators group. I am the Administrator.

You may want to check if malwarebytes self protection is switched on. If so that is probably why.

Be careful what you delete though.

4 minutes ago, robkarp said:

Any idea why I can't delete all of those files? 

What files are you trying to delete? What is the folder name?

It's the folder in the earlier post from dcollins.  I have 1833 files in there going back 5 years or so.  If they're not needed I'd like to get rid of them.

@robkarp 5 years? That folder is new to our 3x product which has only been since December of 2016, not sure where those extra files are from.

That being said, you can delete them, but it will erase that history from your Malwarebytes reports page. If you aren't concerned about the history, then it's not a huge deal. As mentioned, you will need to turn off Self-Protection first.

My bad.  You're correct.  Looks like all of those files were 2017.  It was the self-protection setting that was preventing me from deleting the files.  The history doesn't concern me.  I know they're commonly ads of one sort or another from checking the reports.  I removed them and re-enabled self-protection.  Just seems like a lot of space.  I think I'll try to remember to clean those out once a year.