Real-time protection help

My Real-Time Web Protection is still Off on my Win 7 laptop. However the memory hogging did end yesterday late afternoon. And yesterday afternoon this Win 10 laptop had both Web Protection turned On and its memory returned. I'm not going online with my older laptop. As of 2 PM ET on 1/28/18 I have Update package version: 1.0.3808 on the Win 7 laptop AND I have restarted it a few times. What's next? I'm no IT.

1 minute ago, FigBytes said:

Understood. I meant for every other reason. Fixing Malwarebytes is the goal. 

If you do not use the old laptop on line then there is no reason to have malwarebytes on there. Malwarebytes needs to be online to receive databases and fixes. Prolonged times of not being can make the program act in unusual ways at times.

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If you do not use the old laptop on line then there is no reason to have malwarebytes on there. Malwarebytes needs to be online to receive databases and fixes. Prolonged times of not being can make the program act in unusual ways at times.

This is obvious. I realize you are trying to help. I know what MB is for. I use both laptops online, mainly because of the difference in programs and files that I did not move onto my newer Win 10. I came here because of not having Web Protection turned on, because I do go online all of the time, not because I don't go online. Maybe my answers are so poorly worded that I set myself up for what seems like obvious advice. No offense. 

Edited by FigBytes

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Thanks for the correction.:) Please preform the clean install referenced in the previous posts and report back. Online of course.;)

After cleaning and rebooting, the download failed. Now the cleanup utility tells me to locate the mb-clean-results.txt file for my support request (my paraphrase).

Edited by FigBytes

It is designed as a support tool and will do that EVERY time you use it. it can be ignored unless one of us asks for the log.

3 minutes ago, FigBytes said:

the download failed.

Last part of the instructions .

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

If it does not offer the new install after the reboot you can download and install from here. 

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3  

If that does not fix it there is something deeper and we can deal with that after the above.

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It is designed as a support tool and will do that EVERY time you use it. it can be ignored unless one of us asks for the log.

Last part of the instructions .

If that does not fix it there is something deeper and we can deal with that after the above.

Thanks. The Activate License button stays grayed out even with my license key filled in. And I don't have License ID, which is the other option.

5 minutes ago, FigBytes said:

The Activate License button stays grayed out even with my license key filled in.

Did you type in or copy and paste? If copy and paste did you leave any blank spaces at the beginning or end of the key.

Did the green check appear at the end ?

Edited by Porthos

2 minutes ago, Han_dy said:

Yesterday, I was affected by this issue too my system crashed big time!

But I'll thank MalwareBytes to handle this issue as fast as they did.

Believe me, MANY companies can learn from MalwareBytes!

And YES if you have uninstalled MalwareBytes, a new downloaded install file will fix this issue.

For some.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Could you try changing your DNS server settings to see if that restores Internet functionality. 

How To Change DNS

I would advise to try out Googles DNS server as they are pretty stable. 

Primary: 8.8.8.8

Secondary 8.8.4.4

My internet works. If "Internet functionality" refers to my license key not working, please explain the connection.

Also, IF I had a License ID and didn't know it, wouldn't the clean-up tool have saved that too?

13 minutes ago, FigBytes said:

Also, IF I had a License ID and didn't know it, wouldn't the clean-up tool have saved that too?

Yes it would. It would left a text file on the desktop with that info in it. What ever you don't post that key or file here.

13 minutes ago, FigBytes said:

If "Internet functionality" refers to my license key not working, please explain the connection.

There are reports of the DNS causing activation issues even with the internet working.

Edited by Porthos

25 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yes it would. It would left a text file on the desktop with that info in it.

There are reports of the DNS causing activation issues even with the internet working.

After (first learning how to) changing my DNS, Windows went thru a troubleshooting routine. And my License key still did not work. I feel like I should remove those DNS changes next.

1 minute ago, FigBytes said:

After (first learning how to) changing my DNS, Windows went thru a troubleshooting routine. And my License key still did not work. I feel like I should remove those DNS changes next.

Lets get some staff looking in to this and they might be able to automate this for you. Or at least have a better insight.

@Ried @vbarytskyy @dcollins