Windows 7 extreeemly slow with Malwarebytes about to expire!

DoraBora

Hello everyone,

MY PROBLEM

I have a dual-boot 32-bit HP laptop with Windows 7 and CentOS 6. A few days ago, while on Win7, Mozilla Firefox (Moz FF) got infected with a malware because of which it redirected web searches via pipeschannel to websites promoting bitcoin and adult content, among other things. Also, it would switch, without consent, from my default search engines Google or DuckDuckGo to Yahoo search engine. I looked up the Internet for some help and decided to install Malwarebytes 14-day free trial ad-ware remover. It blocked Moz redirects and quarantined or cancelled suspicious files, including some registry files and AVG antivirus. However, Moz FF kept redirecting so I un-installed it and started using Chrome browser. I thought I found a temporary work-around. But then...

RECENT DEVELOPMENTS

For the past two days, every time I start Win7, it is EXTREEMLY slow, so slow that performing the basic tasks require half an hour. For instance, I click the "Start" button and just wait and wait 5, 6...10 minutes before it opens up. I've already had to force it to shut down several times, by keeping the Power button pressed down. At reboot the OS went on CHKDSK; when the desktop finally appeared, it seemed slightly more responsive but overall nothing much changed so I had to again force the shutdown. Does it have anything to do with the 14-day free trial of Malwarebytes about to expire?

On top of all this, I accidentally erased some important files under ~/Documents/ by accessing the Windows partition from Linux. I am currently writing from Linux CentOS, because as stated above, Windows is impossible to work with.

MY QUESTIONS

1. how can I fix Windows slowness? Is it virus-related?
  2. are there free tools to recover the data that I accidentally removed?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by DoraBora
sentence re-write

2 hours ago, DoraBora said:

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

:welcome:

In the early morning of Saturday, January 27, 2018, a faulty Web Protection update was published to some customers. For a complete description and root cause analysis please click here.

Please note endpoints were not affected if they were turned off on Friday, Jan 26, 2018 and then were not turned back on until after Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 11am Pacific Time. For those affected endpoints, this post is intended as recovery guidance.

For home users and/or Malwarebytes 3 Premium users

• Restart PC - note it may take up to 2 restarts after the update to stabilize the system
  • If restarting does not solve the issues, please download and run MB-CLEAN
  • If the above does not solve your issues and you're a home user and/or Malwarebytes 3 Premium user,  Pleas keep us informed.

3 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

Basically, I must uninstall MB, right?

The tool will uninstall and reinstall it for you and preserve your license.

I have a suspicion you are not infected at all.:) Just a side affect of the bad database update.

Edited by Porthos

Please see the mb-clean-results.txt document attached.

Window's no more slow -- hurrah! Or perhaps I should say it's slow as usual. Anyway, thank you for your assistance. On reboot I opted not to install MB v.3 premium, as I only had the 14-day free trial tool and do not intend purchasing a licence key anytime soon. I suppose if I were to re-install Firefox it would still be infected because Win's internal registry files are contaminated (? ).

As to the deleted folder, I'm trying to restore it with Win7's restore point. I just right-click on directory C:/Users/%USERNAME%/Documents, then choose Properties from the drop-down menu, "Previous version" tab, pick a previous version by date and then click 'Restore', right? Have I to reboot or anything as such? I'm asking because it doesn't seem to take effect immediately... The file path is something like "\\localhost\C$\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents (‎Thursday ‎28 ‎December ‎2017, ‏‎14:44)"

mb-clean-results.txt

Edited by DoraBora