Web protection ON slows down Chrome to a crawl

I have a Lenovo laptop that is running Win 7 64 bit.  It's an i5 with 8GB Ram and a 5400 RPM HDD.  I have the latest version of 64 bit Chrome installed, along with Malwarebytes Premium 3.3.1.

When I have Web protection ON, and I use Chrome, it constantly says "resolving host" at the bottom of Chrome and browsing is at a crawl.  When I turn Web protection OFF, Chrome is super fast.

This only happens when Web protection is ON, as Exploit, Malware, and Ransomware are all ON and those do not affect Chrome.  I want to keep Web protection ON.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, not sure this is going to work, but give this a try:

1. WIN Key + R -> type ipconfig /flushdns <ENTER>

2. In Chrome go to: chrome://net-internals/#dns click on Clear host cache

If this doesn't work try: Open Malwarebyes, click Current (to check for updates), restart the computer

Malwarebytes manipulates the local DNS cache, in case it cannot verify whether a destination URL is malicious for some reason it may lead to issues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2018 at 2:16 PM, Breach said:

Well, not sure this is going to work, but give this a try:

1. WIN Key + R -> type ipconfig /flushdns <ENTER>

2. In Chrome go to: chrome://net-internals/#dns click on Clear host cache

If this doesn't work try: Open Malwarebyes, click Current (to check for updates), restart the computer

Malwarebytes manipulates the local DNS cache, in case it cannot verify whether a destination URL is malicious for some reason it may lead to issues.

I just had this issue as well. My internet connection slowed down from 400 Mbps to about 250 Mbps.

After the #1 flush and #2 the speed was back where it should be. 

• 1 month later...

I thought that I would try using Google DNS just on that computer (not via my router) for both IPv4 and IPv6.  That didn't help.  However, then I went back to my ISP's DNS Server and now everything is fine again.

I have to assume that this is going to happen again and would love a permanent fix. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running 3.4 and "resolving host" is back with the Chrome slow-down.  The only way to fix it is to do what was the 3rd thing posted above by Breach, which is to click on "Current" (to check for updates) in the Malwarebytes GUI and then restart the computer.  I have to admit, it's pretty frustrating.  Any other ideas?

Thanks.....I may have to wait to find a solution since the last action that I took by clicking on "Current," and then restarting the computer has corrected the problem for now.  I did look at the page you referenced.  The first 3 Options I already tried and did not solve the problem.  I did what it stated under option 4 regarding Chrome's settings.  I'll give it some time to see if this corrected the problem and will then post again. :) 

Well, resolving host is back even after trying the 4th option.  I'm trying to find the Internet Properties/LAN Setting for Option 5 as stated here https://www.webnots.com/correct-chrome-resolving-host-issue/ Does anyone know where it is on the latest 64 bit version of Chrome on a Win 7 machine?  It's not where it says it is using the above link.  At least I cannot find it.

I assume you have already tried another browser? 

Also try
Tweaking.com Windows Repair All-in-One

• Download Tweaking.com Windows Repair from here and install it or if you would prefer, you may instead download and extract the portable version from here
  • Once installed or extracted, launch Repair_Windows.exe
  • Click on the Repairs - Main tab
  • Click on the Open Repairs button
  • Once it displays the list of repairs, click the checkbox next to All Repairs so that everything listed is UNCHECKED
  • Now, click the checkbox next to Repair Host  File(backup is created) and Repair Network so that it is checked
  • Click on the Start Repairs button at the bottom
  • Once it completes, allow it to restart your system

If the above is not helping, i'm out of options.

I didn't try another another browser until you mentioned it.  I only use Chrome.  However, I tried IE and it was SO SLOW it barely worked.

Thanks for the post, but when I turn Web protection OFF, IE is very fast, just like Chrome.  So, it cannot be a Windows issue.  It's a Malwarebytes issue.  Thank for your help though.  

I submitted a ticket for this issue directly to Malwarebytes support.  If nobody else can help me here, I hope they can.  I don't want to go back to MSE, but I may have to.

Can you try the following please:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run dialog
  2. In the box that comes up, type chrome -incognito and click OK
  3. Now use Chrome in this mode for a little while and see if the computer locks up

Also, please provide the logs mentioned below

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool from this link and save it to your desktop.
  2. Double click mb-support-0.0.9.351.exe and accept the UAC prompt if it comes up.
  3. If the EULA appears, click the checkbox to accept it and then click next.
  4. Click on Advanced Settings on the main page and then click Gather Logs.
  5. This will take a few minutes to run, but will produce a file named mbst-grab-results.zip on your desktop.
  6. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

Hi dcollins......I ran into a problem.  I downloaded the Malwarebytes support tool.  When I tried to run it, it told me that I needed to install .NET Framework 4.  So, I installed it and then went to Windows Update and updated it (19 updates).  It's all up to date.  Now I get this error message when I try to run the tool that I need to update .NET Framework 4.  What should I do?  Thanks.

NET.png