Jump to content
Battride

Disaster from January 27 update

Recommended Posts

I lost an important recording for a client session because of this "update". All 3 of my computers crashed, and my laptop was in use with my client, recording our session which is now lost. I lost $250 and much more than that in time, (fixing my computers, trying to recover the lost recording, cancelling my next session). 

I am mad and I do not feel I can trust your program, service and manner of dealing with your customers. You just think you can put out a fix for your error, and everyone should be happy.

You ruined my day, cost me money and I do not see any attempt whatsoever by you to take responsibility or take measures to make sure your way of updating will not make this happen again.

Why, why would I reinstall and use your product? Why should I trust you?

Really, why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Battride said:

I do not see any attempt whatsoever by you to take responsibility or take measures to make sure your way of updating will not make this happen again.

We're sorry you had issues with our program today. We've addressed the issue and here's what you need to do to fix it.

*** How to resolve / verify you have the fixed update package ***

  • Update package version 1.0.3803 (Malwarebytes 3) or v2018.01.27.12 (Malwarebytes 2.x) or higher contains the fix
  • To resolve, simply reboot your machine. In some cases, a second or even third reboot may be needed.
  • To verify you have this update, go to Settings ->  About -> Update package version: 1.0.3803

To learn more about what happened, please go here:

If you continue to have issues or experience new ones, please start a new thread and we'll happily look into that for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're always running into risks. Uninstall Malwarebytes and run the increased risk of security issues where Malwarebytes would protect you against. Switch to a different AV vendor, only to sooner or later discover that they also have their bugs and problems. Most A/V vendors sooner or later run into an issue with performance, BSOD's or false positives on critical system/application files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Norton already as my main defense, and have used them for many, many years. Never something like this with them. Added Malwarebytes a few years back for added protection, but they have been more buggy, but this was the worst, and at the worst time. This was an ordinary, regular update, and it should have been tested internally before release. Given how many people were affected, they really messed up big and cost me real money...and that has never happened to me before. Just saying that there should be a little more than just a boilerplate apology/fix. This really hurt...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheQuickFox said:

You're always running into risks. Uninstall Malwarebytes and run the increased risk of security issues where Malwarebytes would protect you against. Switch to a different AV vendor, only to sooner or later discover that they also have their bugs and problems. Most A/V vendors sooner or later run into an issue with performance, BSOD's or false positives on critical system/application files.

I have been working with computers for many years (started with a TI-99/4A) and I experienced such a disaster with a program 20 years ago.
Cause: the update has not been tested before.

It's not really supposed to happen again.

And Porthos answer to Battride is a bad joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Battride said:

I have Norton already as my main defense, and have used them for many, many years. Never something like this with them. Added Malwarebytes a few years back for added protection, but they have been more buggy, but this was the worst, and at the worst time. This was an ordinary, regular update, and it should have been tested internally before release. Given how many people were affected, they really messed up big and cost me real money...and that has never happened to me before. Just saying that there should be a little more than just a boilerplate apology/fix. This really hurt...

I agree with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update package 1.0.3803 ? Really ?  I have  1.3804 and it is still broken. Porthos, there needs to be a better solution. This is two PCs, both important to my work (not toys for games) and I've depended upon Malwarebytes for a decade at least... really first time such a mess has occurred... component pack 2606...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Battride said:

I have Norton already as my main defense, and have used them for many, many years. Never something like this with them. Added Malwarebytes a few years back for added protection, but they have been more buggy, but this was the worst, and at the worst time. This was an ordinary, regular update, and it should have been tested internally before release. Given how many people were affected, they really messed up big and cost me real money...and that has never happened to me before. Just saying that there should be a little more than just a boilerplate apology/fix. This really hurt...

I fully agree that this should have been tested better. But still, mistakes are and will be made by humans.

And with updated software + Norton security you are well-defended against malware already. So, you can safely uninstall Malwarebytes. Of course, the best defense is a a cautious user and no anti-malware software will defend you enough against reckless (online) behavior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TheQuickFox said:

You're always running into risks. Uninstall Malwarebytes and run the increased risk of security issues where Malwarebytes would protect you against. Switch to a different AV vendor, only to sooner or later discover that they also have their bugs and problems. Most A/V vendors sooner or later run into an issue with performance, BSOD's or false positives on critical system/application files.

I agree and actually have seen other A/Vs with similar and worse issues. In this case though at least Malwarebytes corrected it quickly.

Edited by Telliege

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the boilerplate responses only magnify the anger.  You have a massive PR disaster on your hands...don't add to it by patronizing your paying customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an exam for tomorrow and you MF'ers just freezed my pc for the whole day while I'm trying to figure out the issue.

I will pirate the $hit out of your product and will NEVER buy it again . MALWAREBYTES == MALWAREFAIL

 

removing this cancer from every pc I own right now ....

Edited by Haha321

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, RoamingDoc said:

Update package 1.0.3803 ? Really ?  I have  1.3804 and it is still broken. Porthos, there needs to be a better solution. This is two PCs, both important to my work (not toys for games) and I've depended upon Malwarebytes for a decade at least... really first time such a mess has occurred... component pack 2606...

Have you restarted? If so please do the following.

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues.... Please use an Administrator account when doing the following,

  1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  5. Press the "Scan" button
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  7. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  8. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  10. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  11. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, NEC3341A said:

And the boilerplate responses only magnify the anger.

What else can be done except to identify the issue and offer the instructions for a fix?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Porthos said:

What else can be done except to identify the issue and offer the instructions for a fix?

Gee, maybe try to actually offer a fix instead of parroting the same stupid, useless pap over and over again? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mbwreckedmycomputer said:

maybe try to actually offer a fix

My parrot is giving you the instructions to fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's keep discussions on point and stay away from attacks people. While we understand that people are frustrated and upset at the issues that took place this morning, our teams are working non-stop to help users get into a resolved state. We have provided instructions to solve the issue that is working for most users, and that's what's inthe boilerplate response. Those users who are still in a broken state are being responded to as their feedback comes in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheQuickFox said:

You're always running into risks. Uninstall Malwarebytes and run the increased risk of security issues

Prove this. There's no video documentation that MBAM protects against zero-day nor ransomware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Porthos said:

What else can be done except to identify the issue and offer the instructions for a fix?

Suggestion: Create an official thread for the problem, stating that updates will be only posted there. Then sticky and lock it!

Digging through multiple threads hoping to find a solution was not a pleasant experience for your users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rob_Mc said:

Suggestion: Create an official thread for the problem, stating that updates will be only posted there. Then sticky and lock it!

Digging through multiple threads hoping to find a solution was not a pleasant experience for your users.

That's exactly what we did, it's stickied in the top of this section, and the main section of the forums:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dcollins said:

That's exactly what we did, it's stickied in the top of this section, and the main section of the forums:

 

Yes, but with 489 useless replies!

Edited by AlexSmith
Fixed quote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Telos said:

Prove this. There's no video documentation that MBAM protects against zero-day nor ransomware.

I certainly don't need video documentation when I can experience the protection in real time. My son has trashed his computer with ZA, Cryptowall 3.0, rogue antiviruses, backdoors, etc. etc. and the list goes on. He was my lab rat when it came to the latest zero day exploits... till he purchased the premium version of MBAM. sigh...

It's shame that it takes other software developers days to find and release a solution.

Yes, but with 489 useless replies!


Yours makes 490 and mine makes 491.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.