JL215

Remove Malwarebyte restore my computer's performance

I have a i7 with 32 GB ram running Windows 10 latest.

Recently, accessing files on my SSD has been extremely SLOW, it's slower than a mechanical hard drive. My browsing has been slow. When multi-tasking, my computer mysteriously slows down. Generally, everything slow down to last gen machine. My Q6600 felt much faster than my i7. I play with numerous settings, update driver software, replacing hardware components, nothing helps.

Today, thanks to MBAM kills my machine by eating all my RAM, I decided to remove it until they fix it. The side effect is that my machine is now back alive with performance I expected with no other issues what so ever!

When I searched the RAM issue, I realized that MBAM has been slowing down computers in the past and I would not have thought about it without today's RAM issue.

Hopefully MBAM will have a newer patch than today's to fix not only the RAM leak issue but also performance issue.

Looking forward to install MBAM again.

2 minutes ago, JL215 said:

Hopefully MBAM will have a newer patch than today's to fix not only the RAM leak issue but also performance issue.

We're sorry you had issues with our program today. We've addressed the issue and here's what you need to do to fix it.

*** How to resolve / verify you have the fixed update package ***

• Update package version 1.0.3803 (Malwarebytes 3) or v2018.01.27.12 (Malwarebytes 2.x) or higher contains the fix
  • To resolve, simply reboot your machine. In some cases, a second or even third reboot may be needed.
  • To verify you have this update, go to Settings ->  About -> Update package version: 1.0.3803

To learn more about what happened, please go here:

If you continue to have issues or experience new ones, please start a new thread and we'll happily look into that for you.

Hi, Porthos,

Thanks for your help. I realized that there is a new patch today that fixed the ram leaked issue. However, before today, I experienced issues with my computer slowing down such that it's slower than a Q6600 from 10+ years ago with a lot less RAM.

Uninstall MBAM allows my computer to function properly. It just proved that MBAM taxed my machine heavily. I have an i7, 32 GB ram and SSD. I could not imagine what MBAM does to less powerful computers.

This issue, unfortunately, was reported previously and apparently still exists. Hopefully MBAM will address the performance issue and I am looking forward to install MBAM again.

Your not running McAfee and MBAM together are you? I only ask this because I Have had that same issue with SSD slowdown with those to softwares loaded in combination in the past. I hope they figure out the issue your having JL215

Hi, Telliege,

Thanks for your help. To answer your question, I am not using McAfee. I am using Webroot AV. I am not sure when this issue started, though.

I have 2 clients in past that used Webroot and MB and I never saw that issue. So I was to guess I don't think its Webroot AV.  So sorry, I was hoping I might have known a solution to your issue =(.

You running MB version 2 or the new 3?

If your on windows 10 it could be superfetch causing the issues. Its not suppose to be on with SSD, but I have found it turned on many times. I understand its working better without MB, but the way it determines to fetch files from what it sees loading can cause really odd issues. Just an idea thinking off of what i've found in the past.

Best of luck

Thanks, Telliege!

I've been using this combo (Webroot AV and MBAM) for years since Q6600. IIRC, it happened around the time upgrading to Windows 10 or later. To be honest, I am relieved that removing MBAM solved the mystery I can't resolve with driver update, checking for optimization, etc. Never thought MBAM was the culprit although I would prefer to have it running.

I will try to disable Superfetch evaluate the impact and reinstall MBAM later when I have more free time.

1 minute ago, JL215 said:

Thanks, Telliege!

I've been using this combo (Webroot AV and MBAM) for years since Q6600. IIRC, it happened around the time upgrading to Windows 10 or later. To be honest, I am relieved that removing MBAM solved the mystery I can't resolve with driver update, checking for optimization, etc. Never thought MBAM was the culprit although I would prefer to have it running.

I will try to disable Superfetch evaluate the impact and reinstall MBAM later when I have more free time.

Please update me on what happens. As I use this information for helping my local customers etc. Superfetch should never be on with an SSD so turning it off if its on regardless should actually up your performance =).

Sure, Telliege, will do.

I checked both SSD tools, Intel says feature optimized. Samsung allows me to disable it directly. I will follow up after.

here is the best way to check it.

1. Hold the Windows Key, while pressing “R” to bring up the Run dialog box.
  2. Type “services.msc“, then press “Enter“.
  3. The Services window displays. Find “Superfetch” in the list.
  4. Right-click “Superfetch“, then select “Properties“.
  5. then disabled it so it wont autostart back up again.

I don't have a very good memory so the following is just a guestimate. The slowdown on My laptop running Windows 8.1 started several months ago and I'm thinking it was around September. At first it was a gradual slowdown then about 2 Months back My OS took a dramatic loss of speed. Until today I layed the blame entirely on Microsoft. Windows Explorer took twice as long as it should have, and Internet Explorer became unusable. IE would take 15 seconds to launch instead of 3-4 seconds. 

I prolly spent in excess of 100 Hours trying to get my laptop working right and I'm sure I even ended up with a Damaged SSD as it was overheating and I could not figure out why.. Today when I uninstalled Malwarebytes I learned the problem wasn't caused by Microsoft. 

I've since reinstalled MalwareBytes and the system has slowed a little but it's usable. If it slows again like before with another Malwarebytes update I'll know the cause and uninstall it for good. Sad, I really need Malwarebytes protection :(