I'm a Worried..

After todays update, I cannot get the fixes to work.

One computer seems to be totally hosed.  I cannot get it to boot.  I even tried to reset it to an earlier version with no luck.

The other computer, I can't seem to get the fix... every time I restart it , it always just ends up freezing up.

I know MBAM is usually great software..  

But I'm afraid of losing a laptop.

• Administrators

We're sorry you had issues with our program today. We've addressed the issue and here's what you need to do to fix it.

*** How to resolve / verify you have the fixed update package ***

• Update package version 1.0.3803 or higher contains the fix
  • To resolve, simply reboot your machine. In some cases, a second or even third reboot may be needed.
  • To verify you have this update, go to Settings ->  About -> Update package version: 1.0.3803

To learn more about what happened, please go here:

If you continue to have issues or experience new ones, please start a new thread and we'll happily look into that for you.

Update:  

One computer seems to be on the path to recovery.

The other though... this is not good.  It cannot boot into Windows at all.  So the update caused something deeper, darker and more sinister to occur.

This is very bad.

I've told myself a thousand times...  "back up your files on an external drive."   And stupid me didn't do it.

Well.... I said one was on the path to recovery.

Maybe.  It's been applying the update for almost 40 minutes now.  But at least I can log in and interact with that computer.

My other computer... dead.  Cannot get into Windows.

While I don't want to see MBAM declare bankruptcy for 10s of thousands of bricked computers.... I don't want to be stuck with a brick either.

But I know they have a lot on their plate right now.  

I'll wait and see what transpires.

I found just re-enabling the service, restarting the app and updating didn't work (RAM usage just kept climbing). But after the update completed then exiting the app and stopping the service before it ate all the RAM, setting the service to start automatically and starting the app worked. I didn't reboot. Still annoyed about the stuff I lost when it killed the computer though... ho hum...

Also impressed by the rate they're locking topics here... never seen anything like it...

Edited by Dr_Jon

1 hour ago, Frank_ said:

Update:  

One computer seems to be on the path to recovery.

The other though... this is not good.  It cannot boot into Windows at all.  So the update caused something deeper, darker and more sinister to occur.

This is very bad.

I've told myself a thousand times...  "back up your files on an external drive."   And stupid me didn't do it.

What version of windows are you running frank on the computer that wont boot up. Id be happy give you some suggestions I fix computers for a living.

Also, You can recover your data without the computer booting up to windows. One of the easier ways is to make a bootable linux flash drive DVD or hiren DVD and access the drive that way to copy it all over to an external drive. If need details on any of that feel free to PM me and ill send you some links to some tutorials. 

Really hate seeing anyone having issues that bad over anything =(. So hope that helps. And thisissu wrote if you can get into safemode may help.

Edited by Telliege

17 hours ago, thisisu said:

I'm not sure if this will work but are you able to get into Safe Mode on that computer? If you don't know how to get into Safe Mode, here's a guide: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Thank you.  I tried to do that... and I could not get it to work.  Later, an IT acquaintance came over and we ended up having to reset one computer.  Lost a bunch of stuff.  Pretty frustrating.  

17 hours ago, Telliege said:

What version of windows are you running frank on the computer that wont boot up. Id be happy give you some suggestions I fix computers for a living.

Also, You can recover your data without the computer booting up to windows. One of the easier ways is to make a bootable linux flash drive DVD or hiren DVD and access the drive that way to copy it all over to an external drive. If need details on any of that feel free to PM me and ill send you some links to some tutorials. 

Really hate seeing anyone having issues that bad over anything =(. So hope that helps. And thisissu wrote if you can get into safemode may help.

This is very impressive to me.  A willingness to help a stranger in need.  Thank you Telliege.  We did save some things, but strangely, could not save it all.  

An icon was left after the reset telling me about the software that was removed.  I wonder how much of this stuff I need to try and put back on there?

Apps removed while resetting your PC
App name Publisher Version

Ashampoo Uninstaller 2017 Ashampoo GmbH & Co. KG 6.00.14
CCleaner Piriform 5.30
Dell Customer Connect Dell Inc. 1.5.1.0
Dell SupportAssist Dell 2.0.6875.668
Dell SupportAssistAgent Dell 2.1.3.5
Dell Update Dell Inc. 1.10.5.0
Dell Update - SupportAssist Update Plugin Dell Inc. 3.1.1.3832
Driver Booster 4.0 IObit 4.0.4
Google Chrome Google Inc. 63.0.3239.132
InstallRoot DoD PKE 5.0.1
Intel(R) Management Engine Components Intel Corporation 11.0.4.1186
Intel(R) Processor Graphics Intel Corporation 20.19.15.4531
Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Intel Corporation 14.8.1.1043
Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) Intel Corporation 19.71.0
Intel® Driver Update Utility Intel 2.8.2.2
Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software Intel Corporation 20.10.2
Intel® Security Assist Intel Corporation 1.0.1.618
Malwarebytes version 3.3.1.2183 Malwarebytes 3.3.1.2183
Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center Microsoft Corporation 2.3.188.0
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 - en-us Microsoft Corporation 16.0.8730.2175
Microsoft OneDrive Microsoft Corporation 17.3.7131.1115
Microsoft Silverlight Microsoft Corporation 5.1.50907.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 Microsoft Corporation 10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 Microsoft Corporation 10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) - 11.0.61030 Microsoft Corporation 11.0.61030.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86) - 11.0.61030 Microsoft Corporation 11.0.61030.0
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x64) Microsoft Corporation 10.0.50903
Norton Security with Backup Symantec Corporation 22.11.2.7
Quickset64 Dell Inc. 10.16.007
Realtek Card Reader Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 10.0.14393.31233
Realtek Ethernet Controller All-In-One Windows Driver Realtek 10.3.723.2015
Secunia PSI (3.0.0.11005) Secunia 3.0.0.11005
Skype™ 7.21 Skype Technologies S.A. 7.21.100
True Color Entertainment Experience 2.0.0.1
Widevine Media Optimizer IE 6.0.0 Widevine Technologies 6.0.0.12757

2 hours ago, bergtyler said:

With the issue of the corrupt update that was sent out on 1/27/18, it has completely ruined one of my laptops. It will not boot in safe mode, I've attempted both restore points that were successful, still will not come up. Attempted to run the First exe which was posted on Malwarebytes this morning, my laptop will not recognize a usb or anything else for that matter. I modified the laptop to force it to come up in Safe Mode, loads the drivers, states starting in Safe Mode and I get a black screen and nothing at all. I have tried everything and at this point the laptop is ruined due to Malwarebytes and their corrupt update. This is complete BS.

I had the same issue... could not boot into safe, could not restore to either restore point, no luck with USB attempts... but  with assistance, I was able to reset the laptop.   

The implications of this.... all the software I had on the computer was removed.  Some.... but not all... of my files were removed (I requested that my files remain in the reset).

Even with a lost day and the loss of many files, believe it not... I'm relieved.  I still have a laptop (minus much).

I have a whole list of software that was removed.... and I have no idea what stuff needs to be hunted down and reloaded.  Frustrating.  

I'd like to know if imaging software like Macrium would have saved me..  'cause I'll get it right now if it would have..

I can't find my records for my Microsoft Office and am wondering if they will be able to help me..

The whole thing is sorta unbelievable.

Surprisingly.... even with all that. I still like MBAM.  It's the only software I've ever purchased with a legitimate lifetime license.  

And even with the less-than-stellar test results lately.... for the majority of MBAM's existence, they topped the charts.

I'd hope for my losses, they'd give me a few lifetime licenses... we shall see.

Best wishes in this unfortunate event.

1 minute ago, Frank_ said:

I'd like to know if imaging software like Macrium would have saved me..  'cause I'll get it right now if it would have..

Yes.

2 minutes ago, Frank_ said:

The implications of this.... all the software I had on the computer was removed.  Some.... but not all... of my files were removed (I requested that my files remain in the reset).

Making full image backups and knowing how to restore them would have kept you from loosing anything.

4 minutes ago, Frank_ said:

I can't find my records for my Microsoft Office and am wondering if they will be able to help me..

https://products.office.com/en-us/download-back-up-restore-microsoft-office-products?tab=ForPC

4 hours ago, Frank_ said:

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 - en-us

From that list you posted in the other topic, Don't worry about 95% of it. Your computer will thank you. 

Yeah you must of did a refresh? When you do that it moves that stuff to a folder called windows.old . You will have to reinstall the programs but the data should still be their in windows.old.

Let me know if you find you have a c:/windows.old if you do I can help you out.

Edited by celee
Removed email address