Time for a Class Action?

SeriouslyPissed

this is unconscionable!  the amount of work and time lost to this piece of shite that was released today is inestimable...  we had to physically shut down 6 machines which were totally locked up and couldn't even bring up task manager to do it elegantly.  The damage to drives, a boatload of in-progress work that hadn't been backed up since 6 AM this morning, the cost will be unreal - and that's just one household!!

can you imagine the damage - round the world - that this has caused?  I'll be reaching out to my lawyer to see what the possibilities are for recovering some form of recompense for the losses - despite all the fine print in the original purchase agreement!

and I was one of MB's biggest fans...  that changed in one short hour!

1 minute ago, SeriouslyPissed said:

this is unconscionable!  the amount of work and time lost to this piece of shite that was released today is inestimable...  we had to physically shut down 6 machines which were totally locked up and couldn't even bring up task manager to do it elegantly.  The damage to drives, a boatload of in-progress work that hadn't been backed up since 6 AM this morning, the cost will be unreal - and that's just one household!!

can you imagine the damage - round the world - that this has caused?  I'll be reaching out to my lawyer to see what the possibilities are for recovering some form of recompense for the losses - despite all the fine print in the original purchase agreement!

Sorry, I just logged on to find out why all these blocking activities are happening from my home computer.  Is this related to what your business is experiencing?  

19 minutes ago, SeriouslyPissed said:

Damage to drives? Wot damage? And why don't you back up your work? 

1 hour ago, SeriouslyPissed said:

Yeah, this was pretty ridiculous. Had to shut down all 25(!) machines at the office because they were all freezing up. Countless hours and money lost. Can't wait to get chewed out by my boss for switching us over to malwarebytes just a few months ago.

I just don't get it. If this problem lasted for days or weeks, I could understand the animosity and anger, and I've been there myself. But this was all done and dusted with a complete fix in two hours. A little perspective needed. Class actions and law suits? Hilarious.

32 minutes ago, apneus said:

I just don't get it. If this problem lasted for days or weeks, I could understand the animosity and anger, and I've been there myself. But this was all done and dusted with a complete fix in two hours. A little perspective needed. Class actions and law suits? Hilarious.

I tend to agree.  Not only that, but given the specific nature of this issue, there really was no way to spot it prior to the update going out and the issue being reported by users/customers simply because the errant database didn't actually trigger any FPs or anything else that can be monitored/tested for in any automated fashion prior to the team actually being aware that this bug existed (and if they had been aware, it already would have been fixed before an update that triggered the issue had ever gotten published I'm certain).

I know for a fact that Malwarebytes already had automated database checks in place to test every update before it went live before this event occurred.  This just wasn't something that anyone would or could have predicted to test for.  It was a corner-case bug caused by an errant string in the database that exposed an issue with how the service handles reading/loading of this specific kind of database string/entry.  They now have a check in place to look inside the database and flag/block it from being published if such an entry exists, but again, it wasn't something anyone could have predicted prior to it being exposed by actually happening.  It's a real bummer that it happened and yes, many users had problems because of the issue, but the company responded quickly, published a fix to correct the problem/prevent it from happening in the future and also implemented checks to spot any future updates which might include such an entry to block them from being published in the future.  That's redundant measures they took on day 1 within hours of the event occurring to ensure that it doesn't happen again.  In my opinion that's not only an acceptable response, but actually above and beyond expectations (most vendors would have simply published a fix in the code and called it good without bothering with the secondary database checks since the fixed code would prevent the problems/crashes from occurring again anyway).

Couple of thoughts.

1: In a lab condition this should have been something that could have been replicated.

Web calls, ISCSI, DNS and Client updates... that's just a few of the issues we had Saturday.

2: Whitelist an item in Malwarebytes Management Console

White list the management server and DNS servers

IS there a white paper that describes what this white list allows?

3: Schedule updates to non production or less business crucial servers/clients

Is there a way to set the policy to apply the previous DB version?

We would like to build a policy that will only deploy the previous update. This will allow the update to be tested on non critical machines before a full deployment.

As a note to this we were down for over 4 hours full system failures. Took our entire system management staff to bring the machines back online.

We didn't lose any data but transactions were not able to happen during that time.

I am not able to say more but if you would like to follow up hit me by my email. 

Edited by Glenn_Leber

Issues like this can happen with any program, mainly protection software.

I can't tell you how many times over the years a Windows patch update has caused issues.

It happens.

Malwarebytes responded quickly when this was detected and created a fast solution.

On 1/27/2018 at 1:21 PM, SeriouslyPissed said:

...we had to physically shut down 6 machines which were totally locked up and couldn't even bring up task manager to do it elegantly.

After holding the power button down until the computer shuts-off then you could have have booted the computers in safe mode with networking.  Afterwards, the task manager should load without a problem (hopefully that will help you for any future lock-up issues).

• 3 weeks later...