RubbeR DuckY

IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage

Just now, Scottabel9579 said:

Confirmed as well.  so shocked that people come on these forums and bash a company as reputable as MB for a simply patch glitch.  Yes, I do understand it caused issues but if you think IT is 100% perfect then you obviously don't understand what it takes to dev, qa, regression test, and put products into a production environment.  Rarely an instance like this happens and MB responded quickly and provided a fix.  So before everyone starts screaming bloody murder and bashing the company take a step back and understand the process.  I for one appreciate the quick response and the remediation.  It also took me away from family time today but overall the company did what it needed to do to resolve this.

Thanks MB!  You guys do rock!

Second that, AFAIK, or assume, MB is one of the last security companies that isn't laughing their way to the bank. I've always felt relieved with it running in the background and I'd much prefer to know that they're able to operate at 100% or even put the money towards development, then get a few months free.

Just had a client call about this issue, only a few weeks after I had recommended she purchase MBAM for all of her computers. This event will certainly be on my mind next time I make a recommendation. I understand that mistakes happen, but to cause a memory leak of 32MB per second? There must be little to no QC or unit testing going on for something that major to slip through. Very disappointed today. Good thing you have no viable competitors.

1 hour ago, RubbeR DuckY said:

Earlier this morning, we published a protection update that caused connection issues for many of our customers. As a side effect of the web protection blocks, the product also spiked memory usage and possibly caused a crash. We have triaged this issue and pushed a protection update that resolves it.

If the update does not resolve the issue automatically for you, please shut down web protection, check for protection updates, and restart your computer.

The root cause of the issue was a malformed protection update that the client couldn't process correctly. We have pushed upwards of 20,000 of these protection updates routinely. We test every single one before it goes out. We pride ourselves on the safety and accuracy of our detection engines. To say I am heartbroken is an understatement.

We are working hard to not only triage your issues and get your computer or business back up and running but to also rebuild your trust. We are going to overhaul how we publish these protection updates so that this never happens again.

I am personally available to discuss both on this forum via personal message or at mkleczynski@malwarebytes.com

*** How to resolve / verify you have the fixed update package ***

• Update package version 1.0.3803 (Malwarebytes 3) or v2018.01.27.12 (Malwarebytes 2.x) or higher contains the fix
  • To resolve, simply reboot your machine. In some cases, a second or third reboot may be needed.
  • To verify you have this update, go to Settings ->  About -> Update package version: 1.0.3803

I have done everything suggested but my Exploit Protection is still OFF. Is there anything I could do further?

Just now, Breach said:

Ah, you meant it won't *physically* cause hardware damage? Sorry, but if the bar is "it won't destroy my DRAM sticks" then I guess we have some profound differences in terms of expected software quality. By the way, System Restore does NOT protect against user data loss - it can help you with a registry restore, but that's about it. If you want security you need a full backup solution.

If you're in a business that doesn't have daily backup protection, you need a new Tech!

Just now, joseph14078 said:

Just had a client call about this issue, only a few weeks after I had recommended she purchase MBAM for all of her computers. This event will certainly be on my mind next time I make a recommendation. I understand that mistakes happen, but to cause a memory leak of 32MB per second? There must be little to no QC or unit testing going on for something that major to slip through. Very disappointed today. Good thing you have no viable competitors.

There is no QC... just automated bug check. No humans to test anything. It's cheaper that way.

You guys borked my entire Saturday afternoon.  Can you please test your rollouts more thoroughly going forward?  My RAM usage was so high, I couldn't even navigate to find out what the hell was going on and my computer kept crashing.  I have 8g of memory and it was all being chewed up.  It seems back to normal now and my real-time web protection is working again after being stuck on 'starting' all day.  This was a major inconvenience and I'm more than a little annoyed right now.

This has not worked for me says no updates are available I have Update Version 1.1.3799 MBAM Ver 3.3.1.2183 and package 1.0.262. PC re-booted about 8 times so far please advise

Having trouble. MWB indicates no updates are available

image.png.b4562753edcc6644bff8055c8453a4d8.png

but Update package version shows 1.0 0

image.png.bc0396ec0fdb76edd69e2eafad9b2c63.png

Rebooted twice. Turning on protection shows Starting... forever (well, I don't know that, but for a very long time, 10 minutes or more)

image.png.237e6e09bed3284c5f30edf3caad160a.png

Any suggestions?

Thank you for the info and the hard work in the background. I remain having trust in your company and I am sure the new procedure will prevent something like this happening again.

I just wanted to report that my consumer, premium service is working properly and not eating up all my memory. Thanks for getting this handled.

1 minute ago, weblog said:

I have done everything suggested but my Exploit Protection is still OFF. Is there anything I could do further?

Best thing you can do is uninstall, reboot, and wait it out.  They're a good protection software, 1st major problem I've encountered with them and I've been using them for years.  It is a big deal though and I resent that some people on this forum think it's not.

At least it wasn't an ICBM warning as in Hawaii. Still human error in there pushing out software that didn't have full quality control. You say each and every one of the 20,000 updates were tested? How can that be? All you had to do was test it against one computer and most likely you would have seen the same problems that we had. As a consultant, I have put hundreds of people on Malwarebytes. Every computer I set up gets a license. Now I have hundreds of calls coming in with this problem. Good thing I was on my own computer this morning and started troubleshooting myself with your TechBench software, which, by the way, failed until I completely sanitized the machine I was working on by a full removal of Malwarebytes 3 using Revo Uninstaller.

Given the thousands, it not hundreds of thousands of computers affected, I would think some compensation to your license holders in the form of a license extension of at least 90 days if not 6 months or a year is in order.

1 minute ago, lking557 said:

Rebooted twice. Turning on protection shows Starting... forever (well, I don't know that, but for a very long time, 10 minutes or more)

Any suggestions?

Disable web protection and try checking for updates again.

3 minutes ago, lking557 said:

Any suggestions?

Uninstall the product and refund.

Ok my computer is now working better - had a real panic before - but I now have lost my malwarebyte icon and the only option I seem to get is 'uninstall malwarebytes' should I do this and try again? Please be aware that I am not all that good with computers.

Just now, ShadowLabs said:

There is no QC... just automated bug check. No humans to test anything. It's cheaper that way.

Of course it's automated, and it couldn't be any other way. Machines are much less error-prone than humans in running repetitive tasks - but you got to teach them first. Unless you really work with a good QA team which keeps asking "what if" you end up with a limited test suite which isn't ready for the real world. Then it's "improving by tackling reported customers cases". (not that this doesn't always happen).A long time ago, I remember reviewing a recovery test document - it was all fine with respect to stored procedures, monitoring, scripts, etc, but... they didn't check whether... Apache was set for auto-start in init.d.

3 minutes ago, MichaelRight said:

Disable web protection and try checking for updates again.

Still no updates available. Actually I tried turning on web protection after checking for updates earlier, but I just verified that. Still shows Update package version 1.0.0. Note before I checked for updates it was showing I think something with .79xx build number, so it had been workingtoday

Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall...

Edited by lking557

1 minute ago, jfarrlvt said:

Best thing you can do is uninstall, reboot, and wait it out.  They're a good protection software, 1st major problem I've encountered with them and I've been using them for years.  It is a big deal though and I resent that some people on this forum think it's not.

Well said.  I checked the main malwarebytes website and their support pages at least five times this am and there is nothing there informing their paying customers of the problems.  Most important nothing you telling you how to fix it.   

Clicked on update... it is still "checking"  but the green bar is no longer moving to indicate activity.

As soon as I saw the issues with my MalWareBytes early this morning I deleted it.  I'm now trying to reload it from your website.  Your posting says that the "fixed" version is 1.0.3803 or higher.  Your website only has version "mb3-setup-consumer-3.3.1.2183-1.0.262-1.0.3791.exe" available to download.  When will the fixed version be available to download?

I'm still having problems. I got the update on my Win 7 computer, but the web protection is refusing to work, in spite of multiple restarts and update checks. And when I switch it on, it immediately switches off again. 

I'm still trying to wrestle my Win 10 machine into useability. 

2 minutes ago, lking557 said:

Still no updates available. Actually I tried turning on web protection after checking for updates earlier, but I just verified that. Still shows Update package version 1.0.0. Note before I checked for updates it was showing I think something with .79xx build number, so it had been workingtoday

Same here

1 minute ago, lking557 said:

My only solution was a complete removal of Malwarebytes using Revo Uninstaller which does a registry and file scan after the uninstall routines are finished. You'll need your license number to reinstall, as it, too, gets erased. Then download the latest copy from their web site and install.