IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Bob_b said:

There's enough doubt here that far from being fixed, it may just have had a band aid applied until such time a full fix can be issued.  It will not be going back on my laptops until that happens.  Dont get me wrong, I am amazed it was patched up so quickly but it does not look like its working for all and I wont waste any more time this weekend on it.  Back to an altenative until this is fixed properly - hopefully next week.

Agreed.  I was going to wait a few days, rebooted instead, had trouble rebooting, so forced another reboot.  And guess what?  it's still eating all my memory.  So even though I went through a problematic update 3 weeks ago, I've got to find out if my version is current and then... and then... and nahhhh.  Disabled again for at least the rest of today, I just don't feel like playing Does It Work any more today.

1 hour ago, RubbeR DuckY said:

Earlier this morning, we published a protection update that caused connection issues for many of our customers. As a side effect of the web protection blocks, the product also spiked memory usage and possibly caused a crash. We have triaged this issue and pushed a protection update that resolves it.

If the update does not resolve the issue automatically for you, please shut down web protection, check for protection updates, and restart your computer.

The root cause of the issue was a malformed protection update that the client couldn't process correctly. We have pushed upwards of 20,000 of these protection updates routinely. We test every single one before it goes out. We pride ourselves on the safety and accuracy of our detection engines. To say I am heartbroken is an understatement.

We are working hard to not only triage your issues and get your computer or business back up and running but to also rebuild your trust. We are going to overhaul how we publish these protection updates so that this never happens again.

I am personally available to discuss both on this forum via personal message or at mkleczynski@malwarebytes.com

*** How to resolve / verify you have the fixed update package ***

• Update package version 1.0.3803 or higher contains the fix
  • To resolve, simply reboot your machine. In some cases, a second or third reboot may be needed.
  • To verify you have this update, go to Settings ->  About -> Update package version: 1.0.3803

So much resources are tied up, can't open the program to update it.

1 minute ago, Derek_B said:

Ever hear of system restore?  These things happen from time to time and you would be remiss not to count on something like this happening, it's called the cost of doing business and professionals account for these things potentially happening!  

I was replying to your original statement which said that it "will not break your PC". You were wrong. Now you've changed the subject. On this matter, yes, that's why both consumers and businesses keep backups, have to save regularly, etc. But this won't help with immediate loss of data which can be critical, especially in time sensitive projects. Consider long-running rendering jobs, compilers, live streams, Diablo III HC characters, etc. (yes, this was a joke). But let's say you recover from backup - still, this won't compensate for the productivity time lost or the frustration. Most people have better ideas of spending half of their Saturday than troubleshooting their computer. Could it happen to any software vendor? Surely. Windows 98 BSOD'ed in front of Bill Gates during a presentation after all. But it's the quality aspect which is one of they key defining aspects which determines software consumers choose. In the business world, product management is much more severe and such incidents have major repercussions in product selection - no one wants a high cost of doing business after all.

13 minutes ago, Michael_IT said:

Wow! Some of the people that are commenting on here really need to take a step back and count to 10 before they start typing.
I understand it very easy to jump onto a forum, where you will never face the person/company you are saying horrible things to/about, and just go off the deep end.
But you need to understand that there is a actual person who is reading your comments.

How many times in the day of all of our jobs/carriers do we do everything 100% perfect and correct? Not one of us. We all make mistakes, big and small.

I do IT for a Large Dealership with 4 locations. This update took down 150+ machines.
Now I'm not saying I'm at all pleased with having to leave my kids basketball game in order to figure out the issue and get the Dealership back up and running.
But I understand that things like this do and will happen with ANY software vendor.

I'm very pleased at how quickly Malwarebytes identified and resolved the issue.
I have dealt with many other vendors that take much more time to own up, identify and resolve the issues they create.
The amount of trouble that Malwarebytes keeps out of my organization overshadows the 1% chance that someone makes a mistake and pushed out a bad update.
I have used many of the large Malware/Anti-virus companies in the past and they too have pushed out bad updates.

It happens, people make mistakes. No coder, software vendor is perfect. 

I agree that they are typically a great anti-malware. My issue was only home units, 3 machines.  I will reinstall, but as I said, I'm waiting awhile.  In the meantime, I still have one laptop that will not reboot, and the crash was definitely a result of this update.  If I cannot recover it, I will be pretty upset.  

2 minutes ago, Breach said:

I was replying to your original statement which said that it "will not break your PC". You were wrong. Now you've changed the subject. On this matter, yes, that's why both consumers and businesses keep backups, have to save regularly, etc. But this won't help with immediate loss of data which can be critical, especially in time sensitive projects. Consider long-running rendering jobs, compilers, live streams, Diablo III HC characters, etc. (yes, this was a joke). But let's say you recover from backup - still, this won't compensate for the productivity time lost or the frustration. Most people have better ideas of spending half of their Saturday than troubleshooting their computer. Could it happen to any software vendor? Surely. Windows 98 BSOD'ed in front of Bill Gates during a presentation after all. But it's the quality aspect which is one of they key defining aspects which determines software consumers choose. In the business world, product management is much more severe and such incidents have major repercussions in product selection - no one wants a high cost of doing business after all.

I'm not going back on what I said.  IT WILL NOT BREAK YOUR PC!  System restore is there for a reason.  None of your hardware is broken!

2 minutes ago, Burnett said:

Seems like all the people in the world that never make mistakes have gathered here today on these forums 

I think it's your imagination or maybe not. I actually believe that these viruses and spyware issues are intentional so people will buy anti this or that software......lol. I don't recall any problems back when I first got a PC which was 1996.

For those looking to cancel auto-renew, MB does NOT give you an option to cancel auto-renew and Cleverbridge does not give you an online option, either. Making you jump through hoops or outright obscuring the the ability to cancel a subscription speaks poorly of MB. Cleverbridge does not clearly disclose their phone number, but you can call 866-522-6855 and press 0 to speak to a rep who can take care of it!

12 minutes ago, Derek_B said:

Ever hear of system restore?  These things happen from time to time and you would be remiss not to count on something like this happening, it's called the cost of doing business and professionals account for these things potentially happening!  

System restore isn't working.  Can't boot it in safe mode either.  

Your glitch took me down for 3 hours this morning. I had no idea of the cause and eventually assumed I had been infected. I restored an Acronis image in order to fix things. Turns out I was infected by the very thing that was supposed to protect me. Sloppy weekend crew or moonlighting Microsoft employees working for MBAM?

1 minute ago, MaWa said:

For those looking to cancel auto-renew, MB does NOT give you an option to cancel auto-renew and Cleverbridge does not give you an online option, either. Making you jump through hoops or outright obscuring the the ability to cancel a subscription speaks poorly of MB. Cleverbridge does not clearly disclose their phone number, but you can call 866-522-6855 and press 0 to speak to a rep who can take care of it!

Or just take the easy route and have your bank block the transactions and mark them as fraudulent.

Just now, Derek_B said:

I'm not going back on what I said.  IT WILL NOT BREAK YOUR PC!  System restore is there for a reason.  None of your hardware is broken!

Ah, you meant it won't *physically* cause hardware damage? Sorry, but if the bar is "it won't destroy my DRAM sticks" then I guess we have some profound differences in terms of expected software quality. By the way, System Restore does NOT protect against user data loss - it can help you with a registry restore, but that's about it. If you want security you need a full backup solution.