IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage

5 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Seems to be a rather repetitive attempt at false kudos planted by MBAM. 

If you're going to lie - at least make it look real :)

Yeah, I think you're right. And I love the emphasis on "oh, and thanks for responding on a weekend...poor you". When you think about the 10's of millions of users who lost their weekends and lots of money to this fiasco, and the folks here are congratulating MB for coming into the office on their day off??  Unbelieveable. 

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, ebergerly said:

Seriously BobDavor?? They don't even send an email to users alerting them not to freak out all weekend?? And they don't do the most basic checks to see the most obvious error before sending out to users?

So what for you would deserve criticism? How bad would it have to be? If this is the attitude in the IT community it's no wonder we have fiascos like this and Equifax.

According the Wikipedia, MB said they've fixed something like 250 million computers. Which makes me guess there are maybe around 100 million users/computers around the world affected by this. And most probably have no clue why their computers are crashed right now. But MB provides no notification whatsoever to users, and the few of us who have stumbled on this blog are the lucky ones?  

I ask BobDavor the same thing, seriously? What I want to know is where was he in the hours following this huge error. BobDavor comes in and posts once nearly 24 hours after and writes a glowing stroke job and adds some sympathy for the hell devs(?), managers, and QAs(?) are going through for a tiny mistake.  His post reminds me of those corny product reviews companies put on their website that are obvious fakes.

BobDavors wrote;

Thank you for the quick fix on a week-end.

I don't blame Malwarebytes, I'm working in computer engineering myself and I know how things can go wrong: whatever process is put in place, there is always a chance that bugs go through QA. A perfect bug prevention process means a heavy burden on any development, which is just not financially viable for anybody, and hinders creativity.

Making an error is not important, it's the reaction that counts. Knowing what went wrong there means they will take specific, and intelligent, action(s) to prevent this in the future, so more than anything I renew my confidence in Malwarebytes.

I'd like to share my sympathy to the devs, managers and QA for the hell they are currently living because of (what I guess is) a tiny mistake. Most of all, don't blame yourselves and continue working together!

6 hours ago, KevinYu0504 said:

When i feel the system start become slow , and the CPU using rate keep rise ,

my first idea is to open the task manager , and i saw there is a service name call " Malwarebytes Service " , keep eating my system ram ,

so i almost can sure that the system issue was causes by Malwarebytes .

Maybe you can try to open the task manager first in next time , so you won't need to spend so many time to try find what is going on . :)

Of course i tried to open taskmgr... it wouldn't come up. dwm stopped responding. The laptop became unresponsive quite quickly. The point I am trying to make is everyone had to figure out the issue on their own -  an email notice would have saved a lot of guess work.

And yes, I am very happy with the product overall... I had initially tried the free version on my other daughter's laptop a few years ago when no other tool could find the issues plaguing her machine. It had found and cleaned up the issues - that is why I bought 3 licenses for all our laptops.

Malwarebytes Version 3.3.1.2183, Component package version: 1.0.262, Update package version: 1.0.3806 (said there were no updates available and did not function)!

After uninstalling the program, downloading and installing it again, the versions become:

Malwarebytes version 3.3.1.2183, Component package version: 1.0.262, Update package version 1.0.3807 (says there are no updates available but DOES function).

On another machine,

Malwarebytes version 3.0.0, Component package version 1.0.212, Update package version 1.0.3807 (says there are no updates available but DOES function).

My MWB is currently disabled and I have yet to try any of the fixes, which includes uninstall and reinstall, reinstalling the MWB over the installed MWB (no uninstall), and the fix MB posted which doesn't include the first two options. In fact they wrote if their fix fails contact support. So, I am a little apprehensive to apply any fix at least until I see a solid one.

Malwarebytes Lab posted;

1. Open Malwarebytes
2. Turn OFF web protection by Clicking on “settings”, click to turn web protection OFF
3. Under Scan Status (right side), click next to “Updates” to have Malwarebytes download the latest database
4. Restart PC
(Note it may take up to 2 restarts after the update to stabilize the system)

To confirm that you are on the latest database please follow the steps below:

1. Open Malwarebytes
2. Click on Settings
3. Click on the About tab
4. Next to “Update package version” if you see version 1.0.3803 or higher you are on the latest database which addresses the issue.

If the above doesn’t resolve the issue, please reach out to support at support@malwarebytes.com.

Yesterday morning (Saturday) I got a frantic call saying folks who were in the office couldn't connect to the network.  After checking remotely I couldn't see anything wrong so I drove in to see what was going on.  Users were seeing General Failure when they tried to ping out from their machine, and of course they had no Internet.  Oh, we use a 172.x.x.x private addressing scheme throughout our company.

I was on the phone with Cisco trying to figure out the problem, then I started investigating one of our other security products.  All the while I was thinking "Malewarebytes"; recalling we had been bitten by them before.  Sure enough come to find out that an update yesterday caused all our MWB endpoint agents to block all access to the 172.x.x.x network.  They were all now orphaned.  We now had a major problem and had to call in extra people to go to every single PC (hundreds) and manually uninstall MWB.  It took seven hours and I got home only at midnight.  

Now that MWB is uninstalled, it will remain uninstalled.  Good luck with all that ....

Going back to bed now.

2 hours ago, BobDavor said:

Thank you for the quick fix on a week-end.

I don't blame Malwarebytes, I'm working in computer engineering myself and I know how things can go wrong: whatever process is put in place, there is always a chance that bugs go through QA. A perfect bug prevention process means a heavy burden on any development, which is just not financially viable for anybody, and hinders creativity.

Making an error is not important, it's the reaction that counts. Knowing what went wrong there means they will take specific, and intelligent, action(s) to prevent this in the future, so more than anything I renew my confidence in Malwarebytes.

I'd like to share my sympathy to the devs, managers and QA for the hell they are currently living because of (what I guess is) a tiny mistake. Most of all, don't blame yourselves and continue working together!

Hear hear.  Well said, Bob.

Thanks from me, also, topcat - I didn't understand about the fast startup issue either.

As for abandoning Malwarebytes after this recent problem - NEVER !   Over the 3-4  years that I have had the premium version, Malwarebytes has saved me from so many bad sites and protected my computer so well that I would never be without it.  Sure, this was a serious mistake and caused a lot of problems for folks but MWB was onto the fix almost immediately.  When I have had any kind of problem in the past, they were always extremely helpful is resolving it quickly - in polite, easy-to-understand terms.

Abandon MWB?  NEVER !!

...............thais

11 minutes ago, thais said:

Abandon MWB?  NEVER !!

...............thais

Yeah, well we'll see how they fare after the dust settles on this. I'm guessing Grog21's experience was multiplied millions of times around the world yesterday and last night, and I don't think people will be happy when they realize who's at fault. It' will be interesting to see how MB fares in the coming weeks and months. 

And if the IT community actually feels like BobDavor posted, that "making an error is not important, it's how you respond", and catching bugs like this is too burdensome and might "hinder creativity", then I think things might change in the IT world. Making an error is not important??? 

Edited by ebergerly

So... if you can push updates to my machine, given that we've all registered with an email address for the privilege of using this product, why didn't you do an email blast? Text our cellphones when you discovered that you'd pushed out 20k bad updates?  I've lost an hour so far on two different machines; I've got a 3rd one to go. Can't wait. Just can't wait for that pleasure. 

Hey Guys,

I had some major issues yesterday, too. About a minute after I turned on my computer, I noticed how slow things were going. Then to a point where it was crawling. I was able to open Malwarebytes and I noticed that my web protection feature was turned off so I tried to turn it back on, but it never turned it on.

Things were so slow and I eventually got a black screen.

I really thought I had a serious virus or malware that got passed. My whole computer became paralyzed.

I ended up booting up in safe mode, doing a system restore, uninstalled and installed Malwarebytes. Then everything was ok. I'm on a Dell with Windows 10.

Thank you for staying on top of this.

1 hour ago, GavinP said:

Yes they certainly should have sent an out an email to all their users detailing what happened - They need to drastically improve the communication with their customers, another point I'll be making in my email tomorrow.

MB is due to do it's daily scan on my PC in one minute so hoping everything runs OK.

Wish me luck lol!

I agree 100% about the email. I'm totally non tech savy so when my windows 7 went crazy I did everything in my limited knowledge to stabilize it to no avail. I was just about ready to pack it up and bring it to a repair tech when I checked out the forum. Thank goodness. I do wonder how many others are still in the dark as to what happened. Communication is everything. 

Sorry this problem is not fixed! It keeps hogging resources and if you try and quit MalwareBytes through taskbar icons it Automatically restarts. I have rebooted a number if times and I am tired of it. I have been a long time user and it seems you are taking the product down a very dangerous trail. The last few months I have a large bloated file sitting in my task manager and the only way to clear it is to quit MalwareBytes and restart App. But at least it quit and stayed quit. I have always had issues with MalwareBytes and my sound system but ending it stopped problem. Yes I am on Windows 7 and I have 3 other computers on Windows 10. All of them experienced issues yesterday. And yes they are running but everytime they run a scan for the last 6 months they now have a bloated memory presence after running that scan. What happened to old days when this was just a very good utility?!?!?!?

For now I am considering just shutting down service until this settle down. And this isn't fixed then I'll be leaving.

image.png.43de4162d739bb23ba2ad196d1c061f4.png

At the very least, this has taught me that 'ALL' Internet activity is monitored by Google! (IP 172.217.2.34 was CONSTANTLY being blocked with any/all Internet data transfer!)

Also, 136.243.163.73 was blocked with ALL Internet activity.

This is serious! Google has knowledge of EVERYTHING we do on the Internet! Is that "Big Brother" or not!?

Thank you, Malwarebytes for bringing this to our attention!

Thanks for the email message and being open and upfront. I discovered Malwarebytes very soon after launch. I became an Affiliate when that program became available. This response to this incident is outstanding. How many emails have you received from Microsoft alerting you to an issue and detailing the solution so quickly? MBAM is still the best product for personal and Small Business protection and I will continue to recommend to my clients.