IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I followed the steps suggested, the first 4 steps did not seem to fit with my malware but I was able to confirm 1.0.3803 next to "update package version." In the first 4 steps I am to turn "web protection" off. That was not a problem, that is the problem, it is off and it keeps turning itself off when I try turning it on. In any case I tried leaving it off in order to try step 3. Under Scan Status (right side), click next to “Updates” to have Malwarebytes download the latest database

I could not find "scan status" there is nothing to the right apart from "advanced settings" and "restore defaults" and if I scroll down is says "updates" which is switched on. There is a "scan schedule" tab above but I cannot find "scan status". 

The problem might be a different to the one referred to in the malwarebytes website because my web protection keeps turning itself off. Please help.

Great that everybody is going all jolly happy with the new update. I for one still can't believe that one little mistake can cause these severe damages. What will happen if MB really makes a big mistake? I have used MB for years and I've always recommended it to people. But one little mistake:

- crashed my pc's
- caused me to loose all auto saved data and unsaved files
- corrupted my veracrypt volumes

If one little mistake can cause severe damage, what whould have happend if the mistake was bigger? I have deleted MB from my pc's as I for one lost faith in this program. And to all the people who say "other software have problems too" sure, but never has a little mistake there resulted in the damage that MB did in a couple of hours. If such a damaging update can get passed their Q&C... my god are we in for a treat...

Everyone is worried about ransomware taking over... just put out a faulty update with MB and you can crash and damage every pc that's running it. Even windows doesn't do that, and that says alot.

Edited by FreaZ

I tend to agree with FreaZ. Folks here are all happy because they successfully recovered, but just think of the many millions of users around the world who are still struggling with figuring out what kind of virus took over their computers. I got lucky because I noticed "malwarebytes service" process was taking over my computer, and I happened to google it. But think of all the millions of users who have no clue what's going on and are wasting their weekends on this nonsense. 

And think of the businesses that were disrupted, and the money that was lost. I suspect that this coming week, after everyone gets back in the office, the real backlash will start. Heck, with all of this Meltdown/Spectre nonsense the media went ballistic for something that might possibly affect computers maybe in the next months or years. But this simple MB error ACTUALLY upset or damaged many millions of computers around the world. 

And where is the info about it in the news media? Where is the info on the MB website for those who didn't luck out and find this forum? Nowhere. This should be plastered all over CNN and every other news outlet. 

And what's worse is this is something that is so obvious that it should have been easily caught before this was shipped out to users. But MB failed something so simple. And people here are "oh, well you owned up to it and fixed it quickly, and I recovered okay so it's job well done MB". You have to be kidding. 

Edited by ebergerly

And by the way, as far as "owning up" to the issue...

Where is the email from MB to all users alerting them to the problem and the fix? I've received NOTHING. I got lucky and stumbled on the solution. As a minimum, if they were going to "own up" to the issue they'd notify every user, and notify the large media outlets telling people not to freak over the computer virus that is not a virus, just an MB screw-up. 

Is anyone having problems activating their license after this problem? 

I uninstalled it when MBAM was trashing my PC as I suspected that it had been compromised (didn't see these threads at the time) but  now when I try to re-install mb3-setup-consumer-3.3.1.2183-1.0.262-1.0.3803 and activate it it's grayed out like that.

Spent hours trying to fix this, getting sick of it now. Numerous mbam-cleans and reboots later and the only thing new is that my PC seems to hang for like a minute after booting and I cannot activate MBAM any more.

image.png.2bbc9bb23ffa34e03d3365ff34f48222.png

14 minutes ago, Steve40th said:

Not a happy camper on this. My wife is away, and I have to work this over the phone with her.. Do I even need this program?

"Do I even need this program?"

This is the right question.

How many time did you get a detection from MBAM before your main antivirus????

Is MBAM tested by any third party to prove its efficiency?

We have at lest 3 free antiviruses , with detection rate 99-100%, mostly 100%, so what is left to be detected by MBAM?

The original "fix" worked OK. This morning our computers were frozen again. It seems that during the night MB updated to 1.0.3806 which is NOT functioning properly again. It will not turn on protection, has a red triangle in the M and keeps showing an orange & white box saying protection is turned off. I tried restarting and turning the machines off at least a dozen times plus tried exiting the program and restarting the machines to no avail. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE and needs to be repaired immediately! Fortunately the machines can still be used which is a step up from yesterdays debacle.

15 minutes ago, wastemyweekend said:

Is anyone having problems activating their license after this problem? 

I uninstalled it when MBAM was trashing my PC as I suspected that it had been compromised (didn't see these threads at the time) but  now when I try to re-install mb3-setup-consumer-3.3.1.2183-1.0.262-1.0.3803 and activate it it's grayed out like that.

Spent hours trying to fix this, getting sick of it now. Numerous mbam-cleans and reboots later and the only thing new is that my PC seems to hang for like a minute after booting and I cannot activate MBAM any more.

image.png.2bbc9bb23ffa34e03d3365ff34f48222.png

Hi,
This is how I did it without any complication.
Before  uninstalling, first  kill the service from the Windows Task Manager and also from the local Service.

Then I use Revo Uninstaller Pro which I use often to uninstall any software. It just not uninstall but also clean any  left over files. This way of cleanings avoid any problems when reinstalling again.
I then use the old version of the Malwarebytes to reinstall and simply update itself and the problem is solved.

19 minutes ago, topcat7736 said:

The original "fix" worked OK. This morning our computers were frozen again. It seems that during the night MB updated to 1.0.3806 which is NOT functioning properly again. It will not turn on protection, has a red triangle in the M and keeps showing an orange & white box saying protection is turned off. I tried restarting and turning the machines off at least a dozen times plus tried exiting the program and restarting the machines to no avail. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE and needs to be repaired immediately! Fortunately the machines can still be used which is a step up from yesterdays debacle.

I have been using UPDATED 1.0.3806 for whole day now on W7 and NO PROBLEM.

maybe you might need a MBclean to start anew?

Anyone else have a hardware failure because of this?

Yesterday my screens were flashing off and on. Opened task manager to see my memory at 98% with malwarebytes most usage.

Computer crashes. Boots to bios. primary SSD totally dead. Unable to boot.

I have ordered a new ssd thinking it was just that that failed.

Have come to my parents house today only find they had the same crash issue. Hence why I am now here.

*Edit*

Fix has worked for them, but doesn't do me much good...

Edited by Smudge
21 minutes ago, Jonahsworm said:

I have been using UPDATED 1.0.3806 for whole day now on W7 and NO PROBLEM.

maybe you might need a MBclean to start anew?

Well all our machines are running Windows 10 not 7. Uninstalling and re-installing the program is not an option as over twenty friends are having the same problem. The best fix is to boot the machine, (either normally or into the safe mode), run the msconfig program, go to the services tab, unselect Malwarebytes service and then reboot the machine. Once you do this the program will not load and the problems it causes will be ended. Window 10 has Windows Defender built into it which will provide anti virus and anti malware protection until MB can repair their program. (The Windows 10 Defender is not the same program as in earlier versions of Windows).

Thank you for the quick fix on a week-end.

I don't blame Malwarebytes, I'm working in computer engineering myself and I know how things can go wrong: whatever process is put in place, there is always a chance that bugs go through QA. A perfect bug prevention process means a heavy burden on any development, which is just not financially viable for anybody, and hinders creativity.

Making an error is not important, it's the reaction that counts. Knowing what went wrong there means they will take specific, and intelligent, action(s) to prevent this in the future, so more than anything I renew my confidence in Malwarebytes.

I'd like to share my sympathy to the devs, managers and QA for the hell they are currently living because of (what I guess is) a tiny mistake. Most of all, don't blame yourselves and continue working together!

6 minutes ago, topcat7736 said:

Well all our machines are running Windows 10 not 7. Uninstalling and re-installing the program is not an option as over twenty friends are having the same problem. The best fix is to boot the machine, (either normally or into the safe mode), run the msconfig program, go to the services tab, unselect Malwarebytes service and then reboot the machine. Once you do this the program will not load and the problems it causes will be ended. Window 10 has Windows Defender built into it which will provide anti virus and anti malware protection until MB can repair their program. (The Windows 10 Defender is not the same program as in earlier versions of Windows).

There is a reason that some of us will NEVER go on to w10 even if ms offer us FREE but thats another issue. 

Anyhow hope things work out for you and your 20 friends. You sound quite techie and expert in your field.

But I agree with all who have 'suffered', this one is a quite 'unforgivable' given that MB turn into malware-like.

Still in the last 10yrs with MB, this is rare unfortunate so I am still willing to stay on. The fix came in matter of hours which was VERY good (for those who workded out)

On last check its now updated to 1.0.3807. good luck

Seriously BobDavor?? They don't even send an email to users alerting them not to freak out all weekend?? And they don't do the most basic checks to see the most obvious error before sending out to users?

So what for you would deserve criticism? How bad would it have to be? If this is the attitude in the IT community it's no wonder we have fiascos like this and Equifax.

According the Wikipedia, MB said they've fixed something like 250 million computers. Which makes me guess there are maybe around 100 million users/computers around the world affected by this. And most probably have no clue why their computers are crashed right now. But MB provides no notification whatsoever to users, and the few of us who have stumbled on this blog are the lucky ones?  

1 hour ago, topcat7736 said:

I have just checked and I am on 1.0.3807, which is working fine.

Yesterday was a cold-sweat nightmare. I struggled for several hours trying to shut down/reboot/safe mode start before being able to uninstall Malwarebytes. I reinstalled but Malwarebytes stalled after updating , so I reinstalled over the existing installation, and that seemed to do the trick.

For some weird reason, I have had to reset a few of my Windows parameters, but this is small fry compared to yesterday's complete nightmare.

Malwarebytes is supposed to prevent problems, not cause them. How infuriating. How disappointing.

I couldn't  open Home Malwarebytes  for many long hours. Bitdefender went down too.

Thought I had been infected as problem originated when my browser broke trying to connect to a hyperlink. A spam window tried to open but  jammed.

From that point whole computer went wonky. Restarted W10 many times with very slow unpredictable results.

Then MWB finally opened up and after updating everything is good. I'm happy now but was exceedingly grumpy.