IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage

From old guy to old guy: Sorry for not getting on to the forum at the beginning. We have a virulent form of flu in the valley here right now and I've been sick as a dog. My wife basically cattle proded me out of bed to fix her workstation earlier and I went back to bed after fixing (with my low tech solution). When I got back up a little bit ago & checked the forum, I felt compelled to say a few good words about MB. It was a duzy of a mistake, but in using them for many years at many clients, I thought  some of the vicious comments were over the top in relation to their overall track record.  In years past, I've seen people like Norton put out techno babble excuses to mitigate a few of their screw ups. MB didn't do that, which I respect. If they have both their heart & ethics in the game (coupled with a good track record), they are worth a second chance in my book. Allot of these software companies have so many hooks into our PC's that their ethics & honesty matter as much to me as their code

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no idea Malwarebytes was the issue - as it runs in the background, it is out of site, out of mind. My daughter's computer was exhibiting the behaviour of unresponsiveness and even ended with the blue screen of death, program aborting unexpectedly, etc.... She is away at university and I had to travel there to attempt to deal with whatever the issue was as she could not access her files for her assignments. I spent better part of the day with a recovery disc running chkdsk to check for bad sectors, sfc to see if any windows programs were corrupt etc.  Finally I tried to kick off a malwarebytes scan to see if anything infected her machine and it got up to scanning memory then everything became very unresponsive. I tried to upgrade and it hung so I uninstalled it altogether and then went to the website to download the latest version and that is when I saw the posting that this issue occurred today with a pushed update. While I am relieved that there wasn't hardware/software corruption and that there was a simple solution it did take alot of effort to narrow down (or stumble on) the problem

Just a recommendation, but  it would have saved me, and I am sure many of others,  alot of frustration today if we were notified, as a registered users of Malwarebytes, of the issue through a email and what steps to take... I am sure I am not the only one that didn't even suspect it was Malwarbytes that was the issue.

Regards,

John

For what it's worth, it's a little unfair to be comparing malwarebytes to other software developers who can release updates and patch whenever they feel like it.  I assume MB's purpose for most is to compensate for that and actually try to deal with those zero days as quickly as possible.

36 minutes ago, jebossom said:

I had no idea Malwarebytes was the issue - as it runs in the background, it is out of site, out of mind. My daughter's computer was exhibiting the behaviour of unresponsiveness and even ended with the blue screen of death, program aborting unexpectedly, etc.... She is away at university and I had to travel there to attempt to deal with whatever the issue was as she could not access her files for her assignments. I spent better part of the day with a recovery disc running chkdsk to check for bad sectors, sfc to see if any windows programs were corrupt etc.  Finally I tried to kick off a malwarebytes scan to see if anything infected her machine and it got up to scanning memory then everything became very unresponsive. I tried to upgrade and it hung so I uninstalled it altogether and then went to the website to download the latest version and that is when I saw the posting that this issue occurred today with a pushed update. While I am relieved that there wasn't hardware/software corruption and that there was a simple solution it did take alot of effort to narrow down (or stumble on) the problem

Just a recommendation, but  it would have saved me, and I am sure many of others,  alot of frustration today if we were notified, as a registered users of Malwarebytes, of the issue through a email and what steps to take... I am sure I am not the only one that didn't even suspect it was Malwarbytes that was the issue.

Regards,

John

When i feel the system start become slow , and the CPU using rate keep rise ,

my first idea is to open the task manager , and i saw there is a service name call " Malwarebytes Service " , keep eating my system ram ,

so i almost can sure that the system issue was causes by Malwarebytes .

Maybe you can try to open the task manager first in next time , so you won't need to spend so many time to try find what is going on . :)

I even can't open the Malwarebytes interface. It always run in the background and gradually consuming RAM to full.  
I had to restart and tried to open  it again but it won't. 
It's running in the background again and to stop using too much RAM, I had to shut down the service from the taskmanager and the local service.
So, how can one updates and fix the problem?

13 minutes ago, MoneyCloud said:

I even can't open the Malwarebytes interface. It always run in the background and gradually consuming RAM to full.  
I had to restart and tried to open  it again but it won't. 
It's running in the background again and to stop using too much RAM, I had to shut down the service from the taskmanager and the local service.
So, how can one updates and fix the problem?

Does take a while before the interface pops up. I had to click on it a few times from different locations (file folder, start menu). Try and see if it's in your tray as well - then right click it. Hopefully you can get to it before the RAM runs out. Good Luck

They must have employees, friends and family posting "Well Done" messages in the forum because it's clear that a lot of people are still trying to sort it out - and I see 2 more releases since the "working" version last night. Now that's what I call a real shambles. 10 plus releases to sort out a problem of their own making.......

7 minutes ago, rosan90 said:

and I see 2 more releases since the "working" version last night. Now that's what I call a real shambles. 10 plus releases to sort out a problem of their own making.......

The "releases" you speak of are database detection updates. They are released many times every day 10+ each day. That is what tells the program what to detect.

11 minutes ago, aNamelessHenchman said:

Does take a while before the interface pops up. I had to click on it a few times from different locations (file folder, start menu). Try and see if it's in your tray as well - then right click it. Hopefully you can get to it before the RAM runs out. Good Luck

Hi,
I tried, it's no use.
While keeping an eye on Windows Task Manager, I see gradual increase of RAM usage by MBAMService.exe when I try to open the software.  Interface won't pop up either.  There used to be a tiny icon of Malwarebytes at the toolbar at the bottom of the desktop but it's not there.  Looks like it doesn't want to show up no matter how many time you click on it. Apparently it got very shy from the last update.

4 hours ago, SawtoothID said:

I'm an old guy (70) and a network admin for 35yrs. I've used products & services from hundreds of vendors over the years. I can't think of a single major vendor (over a continuum of years) that has not made a few bad mistakes. MB immediately owned up, didn't whitewash or tie it to anything else & got a fix out quickly.  I respect them for that and will not write them off due to a single mistake over many years. I’ve used MB on multiple workstations for many years and their track record is a very good one. Also, I’ve made my share of whoppers. My simple solution before any fix was available was to first look for any application specific clues (in this case MB because the “Real Time Web Protection” kept bombing) and then did a 2 minute Google search for “MB problems with today’s date” (via web on my phone) and was able to confirm the hunch. I then “Booted in Safe Mode (F8 while booting)”, went to Services, set the MB service from Automatic to Manual & rebooted.  The memory usage dropped back to normal and a few hours later MB had a fix. For me, doing some basic “non-it” detective work before starting down rabbit holes that keeps me out of trouble.  MB's been a solid outfit for allot of years and they still have my confidence! 

Well said, StID.  I in much the same position as yourself (age, career) and like you I found the cause for myself, in my case via Windows Task Manager / "Show processes from all users".  Once the culprit process was identified, it was the work of seconds to terminate it, search the web for recent discussion thereof, and all was clear.  For everyone bitching out there -- just ask yourself "How many times has MWB saved my life (metaphorically speaking) ?" and then put yesterday's mistake in perspective.  If (G@d forbid) the MWB team were to decide to pull the plug, where would that leave the countless millions (if not billions) of users who rely on MWB on a daily basis ?  I use Sophos and MWB in parallel, and the combination has kept me out of trouble more times that I can count.

3 minutes ago, Eliane65 said:

Après désinstallation je suis allée sur mon lien d'achat et retéléchargé depuis tout refonctionne normalement.

croisons les doigts :rolleyes:

Merci pour la mise à jour et votre soutien continu de Malwarebytes. Si vous avez d'autres problèmes, n'hésitez pas à poster.

:)

27 minutes ago, rosan90 said:

They must have employees, friends and family posting "Well Done" messages in the forum because it's clear that a lot of people are still trying to sort it out - and I see 2 more releases since the "working" version last night. Now that's what I call a real shambles. 10 plus releases to sort out a problem of their own making.......

No, what they have are loyal users who recognise and accept that no-one, and no organisation, is perfect, and that mistakes, regrettable thought they may be, are a normal part of life.

Edited by small
Correct grammatical error.
3 hours ago, Scottww said:

The easiest way around it today was to go into services and change startup to "disabled" on the Malwarebytes Service.

I did try that a few times myself on Windows 7 Ultimate but the service wouldn't stop, it just got stuck on "stopping".

I also tried to turn off "Start Malwarebytes at Windows Startup" in the Malwarebytes/settings/Protection Tab, but that didn't work either as it just kept resetting itself back to On so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it later.

I'd like to say a big thanks to the guys at MWB for sorting this out so promptly.
Ok, you screwed up by releasing a bad update, but you owned up & didn't try to hide it. You got your heads down & sorted it out - it's the first bad update I've had from MWB in several years of use, during which time it's saved me more times than I can count.

Thanks again for being open with your clients & fixing the issue so promptly.

CPU and RAM usage went up, and obviously wasn't right. Ran that way for many hours but never crashed the machine, newer i7. Wondered if I might be infected. Some googling later saw others having same symptoms. Followed procedures but issue persisted. Figured would live with risk and ran without MB today until this evening when booted it up, problem still there, googled and found restart needed, works fine now.

I've been using computers 35 years, business & personal. This is a great product, and great effort fixing this bug/glitch!

For those that are still having problems - The "patches" are working but from my experience it takes several restarts to get them to take affect (the final reboot that got the patch to work I literally just turned my machine off at the plug so it didn't go through the "shutting down" process. Then when I turned the plug back on and restarted the PC the patch seemed to take affect - Note I'm not recommending anyone do that for their machines, just saying how I got it to work for me... But that was like on the sixth or seventh restart)

Just keep rebooting your machine/s, persevere and eventually you'll get there.

Good luck.

Edited by GavinP