IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've spent hours today trying to figure this out for two laptops. After running MWB for years I'm not sure I want to employ the fix. I uninstalled 3.3 Premium from both.

Assuming I want to run the risk again it means I have to download the program from the website. Will that be fixed or will the problem present again when it updates?

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Do that and if there are any issues reactivating please post a new topic.:)

i did not use the "clean-uninstall" tool (because i didnt know about it).  i simply uninstalled and then reinstalled MB.  everything has worked fine since.  should i leave well enough alone?

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It was a DATABASE and not new software. There are many of those per day. That is what protects your computer from current threats.

That's what I needed to know. Although much of the early post made this unclear. It's also a problem when you are digging out of all of the problems trying to keep information coherent. I'm gearing up for Monday, when most of my clients/friends/family start having problems, I'm already drafting instructions and links to the real source of the problem.

3 minutes ago, jeebus said:

i did not use the "clean-uninstall" tool (because i didnt know about it).  i simply uninstalled and then reinstalled MB.  everything has worked fine since.  should i leave well enough alone?

I would. If things become broken, then think about fixing.

Well, here we are some hours and "fix" (ha, ha) 1.0.3084 later and nothing's changed. Web protection is still nowhere to be found. Thanks, "Malfunctionbytes". And yes, I've rebooted.

Where do I go to claim my $40 refund and how do I remove this offal from my systems? Oh, and you may want to do a quick study on something called "Beta testing #101" before you foist this kind of crap on people next time...

Worked here without any reboots on premium 3.3.1

From a stopped MBAM service (was stopped already from today's mess)

1. Started Malwarebytes Service in Services (start>run>services.msc) by setting back to automatic in General tab, Start up type 'automatic' then starting it manually

2. Fired up MBAM from mbam.exe (using windows short cut or your install directory)

3. Disabled web protection. In MBAM application, protection tab > real time protection > web protection and click the slider to off

4. Dashboard on the left > Scan status on the right and then Updates 'current' and click that link. Let it update.

5. Settings > About > check update package version about half way down, mine is now 1.0.3804

6. Restart Malwarebytes Service in Services (see #1) and right click service and choose 'restart'

7. Fire up MBAM from mbam.exe again

8. In MBAM application, re-enable web protection (see #3)

9. Check taskmanager (start > run > taskmgr) to make sure in process tab that Malwarebytes is not eating up all your memory, i.e at the top with a large number of several gigabytes and growing. If not, you are likely good!

Good luck!

Edited by evsknight
1 minute ago, Porthos said:

There will not be any issues for any one who did not have their computers on this morning. For them it will be like nothing happened.;):)

I have a group of day-traders that leave their computers on all of the time, even though I have told them not to. I know that if they are down even for a second they are like angry hornets. I'm most likely going to get fired along with Malwarebytes...

Absolutely gobsmacked at the number of people bitching about this problem.  On average, Malwarebytes probably intercepts well over one hundred potential nasties per day on my system alone, for which I am eternally grateful.  Yes, I was hit by the memory leak (it reached 15.6GB on my system) but killing the offending process immediately restored the "lost" VM and MWB then automatically updated its own database.  Thank you, the Malwarebytes team, not only for rapidly identifying the cause of the problem and releasing a fix, but for all your hard work in protecting millions of users every day.

2 minutes ago, GaryRK said:

I have a group of day-traders that leave their computers on all of the time, even though I have told them not to. I know that if they are down even for a second they are like angry hornets. I'm most likely going to get fired along with Malwarebytes...

my computer is on 24/7/365... unless I'm on vacation for more than a week. :)