Jump to content
RubbeR DuckY

IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, RubbeR DuckY said:

Earlier this morning, we published a protection update that caused connection issues for many of our customers. As a side effect of the web protection blocks, the product also spiked memory usage and possibly caused a crash. We have triaged this issue and pushed a protection update that resolves it.

If the update does not resolve the issue automatically for you, please shut down web protection, check for protection updates, and restart your computer.

The root cause of the issue was a malformed protection update that the client couldn't process correctly. We have pushed upwards of 20,000 of these protection updates routinely. We test every single one before it goes out. We pride ourselves on the safety and accuracy of our detection engines. To say I am heartbroken is an understatement.

We are working hard to not only triage your issues and get your computer or business back up and running but to also rebuild your trust. We are going to overhaul how we publish these protection updates so that this never happens again.

I am personally available to discuss both on this forum via personal message or at mkleczynski@malwarebytes.com

 

*** How to resolve / verify you have the fixed update package ***

  • Update package version 1.0.3803 (Malwarebytes 3) or v2018.01.27.12 (Malwarebytes 2.x) or higher contains the fix
  • To resolve, simply reboot your machine. In some cases, a second or third reboot may be needed.
  • To verify you have this update, go to Settings ->  About -> Update package version: 1.0.3803

What if you have Malwarebytes 64-bit..what version would that be?

Share this post


Link to post

MBAM seems to be working for me now. Initially I had disabled the MalwareBytes Service, but renabled it and started the service when I heard the fix was available. Launched MalwareBytes, then went to Dashboard -> Scan Now, it pulled down the latest update and started scanning, but MalwareBytes was still gobbling up memory. So I rebooted my computer and everything appears fine now. Memory usage is normal and Web protection is back On.

Share this post


Link to post

All 5x computers back up and running.

The problem is related to MWBs taking 99% of Physical Memory, which essentially prevents you and your computer from doing anything, appearing to freeze or lock it up.  Real-Time protection OFF (without ability to turn back on) and sometimes internet connectivity lock-out preventing License checking are indicators as well.

This is what I did to get things working again:

1) Reboot (via Windows Restart) or Hard Reboot (if system is non-responsive, hold down power button for a few seconds) to get back into the logon screen.

2) As soon as the computer boots, click on the MWB's desktop icon to get the Graphical User Interface (GUI) panel up and navigate to the Settings -> About tab and look at the "Update package version" under Version Information.

3) Two ways to start the Update before hitting the 99% phys mem lockout (need to do this immediately after booting or it won't allow you to do anything):

     a) Click on the MWB's System Tray Icon (bottom right of screen), left mouse click, and select the top option "Check for Updates".  If the MWB's icon is not visible, use ^ Show Hidden  Icons to select it from there. 

     b) Or within the MWB's GUI panel, go to Scan -> Start Scan ... this forces a Check for Updates before it starts.

4) Once the update is completed, it can be verified within the MWB's GUI panel under Settings -> About tab and look at the "Update package version" under Version Information.  It should be 1.0.3804 ... Real-Time Protection or 99% Phys Mem issues may persist with the update in place.

5) Once 1.0.3804 is verified, quit MWB's by right mouse clicking and selecting "Quit Malwarebytes" on the System Tray Icon. 

6) Restart MWB's as administrator and it should come up error free.

NOTE: that if the system locks up or freezes, you may need to do a Hard Reboot to get it back to Windows.  It may take several tries/reboots to get the update to load.  One older computer took 3x tries while another took 2x tries.  Newer computers allowed updates to be performed before the system freeze occurred.

Good luck everyone !

Share this post


Link to post

The package: update package version 1.0.3803, looks to have resolved the issue.  However, the crash on my PC and others I advise was in the form of partial to complete video failure (or crash).  The only clue I had discovered to Malwarebytes was that my response to use the program to hopefully find a Trojan or virus that might be the cause of the attack.  Upon opening I noticed real-time protection was off and I could not get it to restart.

After a number of reboots and continued crashes trying to scan the system upon one reboot being the 3 or 4th apparently  the  update occurred..  I checked the setting and fould the update number present.

Can we gain this update to download to a thumb drive??? 

I have a number of clients clients whose systems remain in video failure upon reboot.  Basically a black screen where the mouse courser appears at time.  Only way out is hard resets to the same persisting condition?  Currently, I am getting set to go out to answer many calls with this video failure condition to try and boot these systems from a thumb drive or other boot disk in hopes of finding a streamline quick fix..

Thanks | Joe

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Shendue said:

I just did it. Fixed it for about 20 secs, then it turned down itself again.

Same here. We have 23:43 here and I don't feel like it.

Maybe tomorrow the world will be fine. ;-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Shendue said:

I just did it. Fixed it for about 20 secs, then it turned down itself again.

you can try to clean the registry (f.e. ccleaner...) after the deinstallation. maybe this works

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Updated and rebooted like mentioned, web protection keeps turning off and still memory usage is hitting over 90%. Cant do much because programs keeps crashing due to no memory left.

Think i'll turn it off till further notice. <_<

ArTlOcH.png

C16KSIX.png

Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and click the arrow next to 'more details' (I see you've done so already but I want to be thorough for others sake).  Click Malwarebytes service (under Processes) and press delete, after a few moments you should get a message that the service stopped working and restarted.  If you have the latest update it should now be resolved (at least that's what I did).

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Rolphe said:

you can try to clean the registry (f.e. ccleaner...) after the deinstallation. maybe this works

I uninstalled it using the appropriate tool you can download from this site. It should theoretically take care of that as well and allow for a clean installation.

I'd like to avoid tinkering with the registry with CCleaner if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, tend2it said:

All 5x computers back up and running.

The problem is related to MWBs taking 99% of Physical Memory, which essentially prevents you and your computer from doing anything, appearing to freeze or lock it up.  Real-Time protection OFF (without ability to turn back on) and sometimes internet connectivity lock-out preventing License checking are indicators as well.

This is what I did to get things working again:

1) Reboot (via Windows Restart) or Hard Reboot (if system is non-responsive, hold down power button for a few seconds) to get back into the logon screen.

2) As soon as the computer boots, click on the MWB's desktop icon to get the Graphical User Interface (GUI) panel up and navigate to the Settings -> About tab and look at the "Update package version" under Version Information.

3) Two ways to start the Update before hitting the 99% phys mem lockout (need to do this immediately after booting or it won't allow you to do anything):

     a) Click on the MWB's System Tray Icon (bottom right of screen), left mouse click, and select the top option "Check for Updates".  If the MWB's icon is not visible, use ^ Show Hidden  Icons to select it from there. 

     b) Or within the MWB's GUI panel, go to Scan -> Start Scan ... this forces a Check for Updates before it starts.

4) Once the update is completed, it can be verified within the MWB's GUI panel under Settings -> About tab and look at the "Update package version" under Version Information.  It should be 1.0.3804 ... Real-Time Protection or 99% Phys Mem issues may persist with the update in place.

5) Once 1.0.3804 is verified, quit MWB's by right mouse clicking and selecting "Quit Malwarebytes" on the System Tray Icon. 

6) Restart MWB's as administrator and it should come up error free.

NOTE: that if the system locks up or freezes, you may need to do a Hard Reboot to get it back to Windows.  It may take several tries/reboots to get the update to load.  One older computer took 3x tries while another took 2x tries.  Newer computers allowed updates to be performed before the system freeze occurred.

Good luck everyone !

Thanks for this tip. I can confirm that it works.

But now I say good night and good luck everyone!

Share this post


Link to post

I wish I could start my laptop.  When I do, I can't even force stop Malwarebytes.  Will not allow me to access anything.  The computer shuts down after about 30 seconds.  Windows Surface running Windows 10

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, RevivedDuck said:

I just reinstalled and now I have to get a new license? How do I get my old License?

 

Check your email to see if it's still there, if you deleted it and don't have it backed up somewhere I imagine they could email it to you again (if support is also up and working now, it was down before).  It could still be on a receipt as well.  If you used mb-clean it should have created a txt document with the keys (it's supposed to re-enter it as well but it froze on me after reinstalling when I tried it earlier [which didn't work since they hadn't released the update yet]).

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sunfell said:

Here's what I did to get the problem fixed on my Windows 7 computer (after reading the forums): 

Disconnected the network, rebooted, opened Malwarebytes, reconnected the network, and did the update before it started hogging the memory again. I rebooted a few times just to be sure. That fixed everything but the real time protection, which is still not working, even after several reboots. 

Sadly, that did not fix my Windows 10 laptop, which I fear is toast. It won't boot at all.  

Sunfel, if you have a Surface Pro type laptop (I have a Surface Pro 3), press the Power and the Volume+ lever at the same time and hold it THROUGH the 'Surface' power-on-display showing, not letting go for awhile after it flashes.  When I held it too short a time, I got the dreaded BIOS configuration screen, which I powered off of and then I redid the two-button press with a prolonged hold.

Good luck, whichever make you have. Call the manufacturer re whatever forced power-on key combo they may have.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Gregory Norris said:

Check your email to see if it's still there, if you deleted it and don't have it backed up somewhere I imagine they could email it to you again (if support is also up and working now, it was down before).  It could still be on a receipt as well.  If you used mb-clean it should have created a txt document with the keys (it's supposed to re-enter it as well but it froze on me after reinstalling when I tried it earlier [which didn't work since they hadn't released the update yet]).

I still have the email but it says the link has expired

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Gregory Norris said:

Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and click the arrow next to 'more details' (I see you've done so already but I want to be thorough for others sake).  Click Malwarebytes service (under Processes) and press delete, after a few moments you should get a message that the service stopped working and restarted.  If you have the latest update it should now be resolved (at least that's what I did).

Tried that as well. Web protection came back for a few seconds, then went off again.

Share this post


Link to post

I stopped the program from running. I brought the system up and down multiple times. Start up took forever and close down was worse. What do I do now to get the program working properly?

 

Share this post


Link to post

The update resolved the Web Blocking feature, there are a bizarre series of other problems on my Windows PC that are occurring now. 

Windows Defender no longer works.  The Defender window opens, but has only a blue screen with the Defender icon - no content at all.  The Defender taskbar icon shows an exclamation point (actions recommended), but I have no access to the program.

Oddly, my taskbar start button is no longer working, nor the Cortana search.  The taskbar settings will not open.  I can no longer alt-tab between applications.  

I disabled MWB in the startup folder, but it made no difference. My system is hobbled.  

I'm all for patience when mistakes happen, but this is stretching my patience.

~~~

Update:

After experimenting with a few more reboots (with MWB remaining disabled in startup), The taskbar issues appear to have resolved and Windows Defender now seems to be working normally.

I will not use or update MWB for a while until I am certain they truly fixed the problems. 

By the way, I have use MWB for years and have a lifetime license.

Edited by tcrabb

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, RevivedDuck said:

I just reinstalled and now I have to get a new license? How do I get my old License?

 

If you still have the email with your license you can use that, but if you don't, then you'll have to contact MB support@mwb.zendesk.com

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Shendue said:

I uninstalled it using the appropriate tool you can download from this site. It should theoretically take care of that as well and allow for a clean installation.

I'd like to avoid tinkering with the registry with CCleaner if possible.

..and after the new installation your premium-account is activated?

Share this post


Link to post

Really disappointed! I haven't seen a memory leak of this severity in anything for over a decade. How did this slip out? It's a fairly standard check and easy to spot.

First crash ever for a lot of our systems. Serious disruption.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.