RubbeR DuckY

IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage

I have the new update and have rebooted 5 times and my memory is still spiked at 99%. I can only start up in safe mode. Need help

2 minutes ago, lking557 said:

Still no updates available. Actually I tried turning on web protection after checking for updates earlier, but I just verified that. Still shows Update package version 1.0.0. Note before I checked for updates it was showing I think something with .79xx build number, so it had been workingtoday

I asked our QA team and they told me that is a separate issue they are tracking where the update package version gets corrupted and resets to 1.0.0. They advised that you reinstall.

So if the fix is out and has been for an hour or so, how come I can't get the update to correct this too? Surely by now, it would be available to everyone. I live in New York State. Nothing! Still showing version 1.2183 I've tried all the remedies posted in this thread and the previous one on this subject. I've restarted my computer at least 5 times and tried updating again. Still no update for me. This is ridiculous.

This was pretty nasty. Not only did it cause heavy CPU usage, but it caused my systems to lockup. only way to get started again was to do a hard shutdown only to come back to the same locked place again. Web Protection kept stopping. Acted exactly like hardware issues, key board or mouse not working. Have spent the last three hours trying to figure out what was happening. Booting did not seem to fix the issue. Finally found this forum and and as suggested upgraded Malwarebytes to the latest. Issues seem to be resolved on both systems.

2 minutes ago, JCT said:

I have the new update and have rebooted 5 times and my memory is still spiked at 99%. I can only start up in safe mode. Need help

Please review the instructions from post #226

Edited by MichaelRight

1 minute ago, Bluequad said:

So if the fix is out and has been for an hour or so, how come I can't get the update to correct this too? Surely by now, it would be available to everyone. I live in New York State. Nothing! Still showing version 1.2183 I've tried all the remedies posted in this thread and the previous one on this subject. I've restarted my computer at least 5 times and tried updating again. Still no update for me. This is ridiculous.

Malwarebytes has adopted the EA way, now updates come in lootboxes. Better pay up!

Just now, Pocketfleet said:

I have 1.0.3799  how do I encourage an update?

1. Open MalwareBytes 2. Click on Current. 3. Wait to finish. 4. Restart Windows.

" We are going to overhaul how we publish these protection updates so that this never happens again. "

You said exactly the same about two years ago when your useless update procedure prevented Windows 7 booting, even in safe mode and this meant I had to reinstall from scratch. everything.

Your QA/Testing department needs a complete overhaul.

5 minutes ago, weblog said:

I have done everything suggested but my Exploit Protection is still OFF. Is there anything I could do further?

2 minutes ago, jfarrlvt said:

Best thing you can do is uninstall, reboot, and wait it out.  They're a good protection software, 1st major problem I've encountered with them and I've been using them for years.  It is a big deal though and I resent that some people on this forum think it's not.

You can't be serious when you suggest to uninstall and reinstall it?

Just now, 60five said:

" We are going to overhaul how we publish these protection updates so that this never happens again. "

You said exactly the same about two years ago when your useless update procedure prevented Windows 7 booting, even in safe mode and this meant I had to reinstall from scratch. everything.

What testing department? There is no testing or QA at malwarebytes, as clearly demonstrated today.

25 minutes ago, MaWa said:

My two computers with MBAM installed had the Windows Defender icon disappear from the taskbar tray. What's really concerning is another computer on the same network that did NOT have MBAM installed also had the Windows Defender icon disappear from the taskbar tray. I'm suspicious about what happened and am thinking about reformatting all my computers.

Hit Man Pro recorded an instance of a suspicious file that showed up this morning on my computer at 0916 hours. I think this is about the same time Malwarebytes started wreaking havoc on my laptop. The file is pointing to a Windows Defender definition update. It would seem that the two may be possibly related, but I don't really know.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\{71F49DBD-AC01-4AAC-B851-A7A1EE5E10A2}\MpKsl2ca1aaf4.sys
      Size . . . . . . . : 58,120 bytes
      Age  . . . . . . . : 0.1 days (2018-01-27 09:16:37)
      Entropy  . . . . . : 6.7
      SHA-256  . . . . . : F6DB64112CC50EEE495E2D7C61B8BDBE757A31B03144B0396615FD38C312824E
      Product  . . . . . : Microsoft Malware Protection
      Publisher  . . . . : Microsoft Corporation
      Description  . . . : KSLDriver
      Version  . . . . . : 1.2.1009.0
      Copyright  . . . . : © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
      Service  . . . . . : MpKsl2ca1aaf4
      LanguageID . . . . : 1033
      Fuzzy  . . . . . . : 47.0
         The file is hidden from Windows API. This is typical for malware.
         The file is completely hidden from view and most antivirus products. It may belong to a rootkit.
         Starts automatically as a service during system bootup.
         Program starts automatically without user intervention.
         Time indicates that the file appeared recently on this computer.
         The file is a device driver. Device drivers run as trusted (highly privileged) code.
      Startup
         HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MpKsl2ca1aaf4\

All fixed on my machine after one reboot. Thanks for that. Just glad it wasn't some rogue attack. Thanks again and sorry for your headache.:D

What are you doing for Enterprise clients who have thousands of machines and most of those machines do not have local admin accounts for their normal users and those machines are managed by Malwarebytes Enterprise console, but because it is impossible to communicate with the machines there is no way to push the update?

11 minutes ago, 60five said:

Yup, they said same thing last time. Clearly if they did anything since that time it was not enough or they really never did anything. More testing needs to be done. Maybe a slower rollout of updates like roku does where they do X units per day etc. But ultimately, if a single employee had installed that update on their machine they should of noticed the memory leak/cpu leak really fast. Since they moved licensing to a monthly subscription, they should have a compensation plan in order (just like cloud providers with an sla if not met you get a discount). (I am still on lifetime so would not apply to me). I got lucky my machine was off but had another one that had issues.

Edited by hackztor

1 minute ago, KeepingSecure said:

What are you doing for Enterprise clients who have thousands of machines and most of those machines do not have local admin accounts for their normal users and those machines are managed by Malwarebytes Enterprise console, but because it is impossible to communicate with the machines there is no way to push the update?

Don't see what they can do. Complete power off, power on and deploy before RAM runs out... the damage is done anyway.

Have a major problem with two of my older Win7 laptops:  On bootup, I immediately get to the system tray Malwarebytes icon and click check for updates, and bring up the Status Panel to look at the current update installed.  The computer gets to 99% Physical Memory usage before performing the update and completely locks up the computer.

I've tried on startup, starting a scan that automatically checks for updates from status panel or turning off all protection features, forcing check for updates via system tray icon, and several hard reboots to no solution.  99% Physical Memory kills any progress.  Killing the process tree or stopping the service on boot doesn't do much either, since as soon as the process restarts, the problem persists. 

I would love some suggestions as this has become a total time sync on something that should be easy to do.  My more powerful Win10 system is fixed, but the kid's laptops are becoming a headache.

@jbaker98311 

You'll have to update manually within the application. The download link doesn't get generated on every installer we have since we release databases multiple times a day.

See below >>

We're sorry you had issues with our program today. We've addressed the issue and here's what you need to do to fix it.

*** How to resolve / verify you have the fixed update package ***

• Update package version 1.0.3803 or higher contains the fix
  • To resolve, simply reboot your machine. In some cases, a second or even third reboot may be needed.
  • To verify you have this update, go to Settings ->  About -> Update package version: 1.0.3803

To learn more about what happened, please go here: