IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the CEO is monitoring replies here, then I will repost my comment from the other thread:

This bug absolutely wrecked my parents' computer. They are non-technical adults who could not debug a problem like this on their own. Fortunately, I was visiting and able to address the issue for them.

I cannot risk a recurrence of this issue when I am out of town. For all intents and purposes, my parents' computer would be completely disabled. This is PRECISELY the type of event I bought Malwarebytes to avoid. As a professional software engineer, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the apparent lack of testing and QA that enabled this defective launch. I am cancelling my parents' subscription and it will never be renewed. Malwarebytes has lost 3 customers forever.

I am having the same issue on all 3 of my computers. Here is the issue it keeps freezing up my computers so I can’t take web protection down . I have a very important event today and this creating a major problem for me. I am not happy with this issue. Was this tested before it was pushed out!

Just as I was going to enter the version and update information for this Windows10 MBytes install the machine halted, again. Rebooting has resulted in what appears to be a clean Malwarebytes install.  

Still worried about having been forced, many times, to reenter 'very strong' password selection attempts to register for this forum.

15 minutes ago, Stitch said:

Restarting the application results in this error:

image.png.431be7235adea25dc8db522685cb0055.png

What do I have to do ?

thanks

br

Service issue - open services.msc and verify MB services are running. If they are not - try starting them. If that doesn't work try a reboot. If that doesn't work try re-install.

Edited by JimmySays

So this is a Malwarebytes issue? It brought my work computer to its knees today. Not what I need on a Saturday, busy workday. Glad there was/is a fix though. My goodness. I thought I was going to have to take my tower home and wipe and reload.

Everything else seems to be working again, but I can't get lastpass to connect to the internet through the edge browser.

Edited by acguitar84

30 minutes ago, RubbeR DuckY said:

Earlier this morning, we published a protection update that caused connection issues for many of our customers. As a side effect of the web protection blocks, the product also spiked memory usage and possibly caused a crash. We have triaged this issue and pushed a protection update that resolves it.

If the update does not resolve the issue automatically for you, please shut down web protection, check for protection updates, and restart your computer.

The root cause of the issue was a malformed protection update that the client couldn't process correctly. We have pushed upwards of 20,000 of these protection updates routinely. We test every single one before it goes out. We pride ourselves on the safety and accuracy of our detection engines. To say I am heartbroken is an understatement.

We are working hard to not only triage your issues and get your computer or business back up and running but to also rebuild your trust. We are going to overhaul how we publish these protection updates so that this never happens again.

I am personally available to discuss both on this forum via personal message or at mkleczynski@malwarebytes.com

29 minutes ago, davaul said:

Is the problem fixed?

29 minutes ago, TomSummers said:

so is it fixed???

No offense but try reading the original post again.  It clearly states that they have  push an update.  I've colored the line in red to make it more obvious.

Just now, JimmySays said:

You may need to turn off Web Blocking - this is probably a DNS issues. The service cannot resolve the update server address.

Actually wrong reply - this issue appears to indicate that the Malwarebytes Service or Services are not running. Open Services.msc and look for MB services. Verify they running. If they are not - try starting them. If they don't start try reboot - if that fails try re-installing. This worked on one of my PC's

2 minutes ago, sosofunnie said:

Once your spouse cheats on you, guess what? They will do it again, fact.

How exactly is a spouse cheating a good analogy for software production?  If your spouse cheats on you is it because she wasn't caught in the QC process? :P

Edited by Rignes
Fix spelling.