RubbeR DuckY

IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage

1 minute ago, tend2it said:

Have a major problem with two of my older Win7 laptops:  On bootup, I immediately get to the system tray Malwarebytes icon and click check for updates, and bring up the Status Panel to look at the current update installed.  The computer gets to 99% Physical Memory usage before performing the update and completely locks up the computer.

I've tried on startup, starting a scan that automatically checks for updates from status panel or turning off all protection features, forcing check for updates via system tray icon, and several hard reboots to no solution.  99% Physical Memory kills any progress.  Killing the process tree or stopping the service on boot doesn't do much either, since as soon as the process restarts, the problem persists. 

I would love some suggestions as this has become a total time sync on something that should be easy to do.  My more powerful Win10 system is fixed, but the kid's laptops are becoming a headache.

Try disabling web protection first.

4 minutes ago, KeepingSecure said:

What are you doing for Enterprise clients who have thousands of machines and most of those machines do not have local admin accounts for their normal users and those machines are managed by Malwarebytes Enterprise console, but because it is impossible to communicate with the machines there is no way to push the update?

They're not gonna do stuff lol. You'll have to dispatch techs to each and every one of those machines and manually fix it.

@msherwood I only see references made to the consumer edition of MWB.  We have 15,000 PCs with the Enterprise software and the signature numbers aren't the same. Pretty much all of our servers in our data center lost connectivity with our network as did the PCs (thankfully it's the weekend) that were in use by students today.  When we applied 2018.01.28.12 the problem appeared to be resolved (no reboot required) but I'd feel better with confirmation that the issue is resolved in this release.  Feel free to DM me.

Edited by sglick
got the year wrong (oh yeah, it's 2018)

Don't take this too hard on yourself Marcin.

I've been with Malwarebytes almost since the beginning and it has helped me, my friends and relatives tons of times.

This was nothing serious.

Take it easy man, and keep up the good work :)

2 minutes ago, vbarytskyy said:

@jbaker98311 

You'll have to update manually within the application. The download link doesn't get generated on every installer we have since we release databases multiple times a day.

See below >>

We're sorry you had issues with our program today. We've addressed the issue and here's what you need to do to fix it.

*** How to resolve / verify you have the fixed update package ***

• Update package version 1.0.3803 or higher contains the fix
  • To resolve, simply reboot your machine. In some cases, a second or even third reboot may be needed.
  • To verify you have this update, go to Settings ->  About -> Update package version: 1.0.3803

To learn more about what happened, please go here:

If I could get Malwarebytes to start, that might work. In trying to get rid of the problem, I ran clean malwarebytes (which by the way did not work correctly, but disabled my being able to start Malwarebytes at all, but left most of the program files). You would think with such a major problem there would be a separate link to the fix. Extremely poor response. Not at all satisfied.

New forum user, only registered to speak of my outrage.  We will be re-evaluating our continued use of MB, we currently are using the managed cloud solution company wide.  What happened today is 100% unacceptable.  This took down all of our web servers and our SQL server, causing our customers to call us asking why they can't log in.  It also took down my workstation so no remote login available and took down all our employees that were working today.  In most cases the outage was so severe that the machine could not update and had to be rebooted with the power switch or via the VMware console for the servers.  My recommendation will be to pull the plug on the MB service and request a refund on our licenses.  It is a sad day when your malware protection/AV solution is worse than what it is protecting you from.  Apologizes and promises to re-evaluate how you deploy patches are NOT good enough, your mistake cost our company real financial loss.

1 minute ago, Dkone111 said:

New forum user, only registered to speak of my outrage.  We will be re-evaluating our continued use of MB, we currently are using the managed cloud solution company wide.  What happened today is 100% unacceptable.  This took down all of our web servers and our SQL server, causing our customers to call us asking why they can't log in.  It also took down my workstation so no remote login available and took down all our employees that were working today.  In most cases the outage was so severe that the machine could not update and had to be rebooted with the power switch or via the VMware console for the servers.  My recommendation will be to pull the plug on the MB service and request a refund on our licenses.  It is a sad day when your malware protection/AV solution is worse than what it is protecting you from.  Apologizes and promises to re-evaluate how you deploy patches are NOT good enough, your mistake cost our company real financial loss.

Yeah, same here. Personal machine went down and from there I could watch the domino effect as all the workstations in the office crashed one after another.

OK I'm still having problems with my machine.

I saw there was a patch so rebooted my machine. On restart I can't find Malwarebytes in my tray. So when I click the shortcut on the desktop it says "Unable to connect to service"

Also, I'm unable to connect to internet (I'm typing this on a laptop that doesn't have Malwarebytes on it)

I've been having problems for over five hours now!

I once had a tech support call with a customer who, when I asked him what was on the screen, said "Nothing." I said, "Hmm. Ok. Can you see a blinking cursor or anything at all?" He said, "No." I said, "Try hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del." He said, "Nothing happened." I was thinking about what to suggest next when he said, "Do you want me to turn it on?"

The average person is blissfully unaware of everything going on under the hood to a degree most programmers cannot appreciate. It is perhaps helpful to remind the MB folks that only those who rely upon PC's for their well-being, be it business or personal, fully understand what it means to have that PC suddenly and unexpectedly taken away, with no obvious cause or avenue of recourse to follow. It can be catastrophic -- and a potential financial disaster. It may even be actionable.

The average person in today's culture knows absolutely nothing about any of this. Their world is their cell phone. Try telling them that there's actually a PC in there and they'll look at you like you have two heads.

As a friendly suggestion, please address future correspondence, particularly with regard to problem resolution, to a third grade reading level with easily-understandable steps for customers to follow. Make them simpler than you think is needed. You might also consider building in a software method by which you can communicate directly with customers via "chat" -- something most have seen and comprehend. Such mechanisms can be most useful during disaster recovery.

This is not criticism, it is a friendly, practical suggestion.

I know this was a mistake but I wouldn't dream of getting rid of MBAM that I've encouraged friends and relatives to install.  Even though this is a major screw up MBAM has saved me from many phone calls and visits to fix infections.  For example, I used to get a call from my father at least once a month and I'd have to run over and clean up his PC.  Once I talked him into installing MBAM and buying premium I haven't gotten a call for malware related issues since.  

Yes, this is a PITA now but overall MBAM has been a great product and saved me tons of time.

What a scare. i can confirm on my computers that the new update has ceased all warning. lucky it was on a saturday!

The point which rubs me the wrong way  is a user on the forums posted the solution the developers didn't even post if the solution was correct.

19 minutes ago, MichaelRight said:

I asked our QA team and they told me that is a separate issue they are tracking where the update package version gets corrupted and resets to 1.0.0. They advised that you reinstall.

reinstall did work, and I'm at the 1.0.3803 update package now. also gstatic isn't getting blocked, so I guess the issue is fixed

thanks

Keeps using up all my RAM on windows 7, cannot uninstall... waiting, waiting, waiting...  rebooted 3 times, still version 3.3.1. Web protection remains turned off.

New forum user, only registered to speak of my outrage.  

Come on. It's not your outrage, but your frustration. Don't make it bigger that it is.

1 minute ago, Beenthere said:

Don't take this too hard on yourself Marcin.

I've been with Malwarebytes almost since the beginning and it has helped me, my friends and relatives tons of times.

This was nothing serious.

Take it easy man, and keep up the good work :)

I've been with MWB since 09 (lifetime license) nearly the beginning as well. But I have to disagree with you on this being nothing serious. None the less I've very pleased they found a quick fix.

You need to update your download link otherwise new users are going to get a nasty surprise with the memory leak version - not good for first impressions.

3 minutes ago, GavinP said:

OK I'm still having problems with my machine.

I saw there was a patch so rebooted my machine. On restart I can't find Malwarebytes in my tray. So when I click the shortcut on the desktop it says "Unable to connect to service"

Also, I'm unable to connect to internet (I'm typing this on a laptop that doesn't have Malwarebytes on it)

I've been having problems for over five hours now!

Exactly my problem. And they tell me to start it to get the update. BS!!! There should be a direct link to the fix.

2 minutes ago, mytimbuk2 said:

Keeps using up all my RAM on windows 7, cannot uninstall... waiting, waiting, waiting...  rebooted 3 times, still version 3.3.1. Web protection remains turned off.

Try booting into safemode

It was obvious that it was Malware that locked up 3 PC and I lost work I had been working on so I fixed it I UNINSTALLED MALWARE

It truly is unbelievable that customers are having to troubleshoot and apply fixes themselves. I've also spent 4 hours sorting this issue on a w10 laptop and w7 desktop, like I've got nothing better to do on a Sat eve!!!

It's frustrating as half the time I have no idea if I've been hacked with the way both had slowed to the point of being unusable!!

2 minutes ago, jbaker98311 said:

Exactly my problem. And they tell me to start it to get the update. BS!!! There should be a direct link to the fix.

Pleased I'm not the only one.

Are you able to access the internet? Everytime I try to open up Google Chrome it just goes to a black screen,

I am beyond upset about today's issue. There is no excuse for causing so much stress for so many of your subscribers. I have an on line business and was unable to communicate with my customers. Not only that but I was just about ready to packup my pc and take it to a tech to be fixed. At the very least you need to advise your subscribers about upcoming updates and that they may experience technical issues as a result.  Secondly you need to do more in house testing before releasing potentially damaging updates.  I will definately reconsider renewing my subscription.