IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. That's weird. So I kept checking task manager and closing Malwarebyte Service every time I start to see it go up (about 6-7 times) and now all of a sudden randomly, it has decided to behave itself and stop sucking up all my memory. Also web protection is staying on... :blink:

Will keep an eye on it just in case.

Edited by Pooch

What a charlie foxtrot. I really didn't want to spend my day troubleshooting beta software for which I paid, or considering that I was hacked by counter hacking software (the ultimate irony). Even with 64 GB RAM, malware malwarebytes is taking up 46 GB, and it continues to grab more. Amateurs. 

malwarebytes bloat.PNG

Just now, noguano said:

What a charlie foxtrot. I really didn't want to spend my day troubleshooting beta software for which I paid, or considering that I was hacked by counter hacking software (the ultimate irony). Even with 64 GB RAM, malware malwarebytes is taking up 46 GB, and it continues to grab more. Amateurs. 

malwarebytes bloat.PNG

Uninstall and Reinstall Malwarebytes, Run update and then you should be good to go.

There seems to be a pattern developing here which validates my decision to wait before re-installing the software.

Older systems with less RAM are not as resiliant to the fix as the super fast machines with 16GB plus of RAM.  In the time it takes to get the update, even if you are super fast with mouse and keyboard, an older system will have all its RAM taken by the rogue process.

My machines are older ones, hence I will wait till a proper distributable which post dates the patch is available on the site - till then I will just wait and use alternatives.

I'm not sure if there is any kind of service level agreement, but I think it would certainly be a nice gesture for Malwarebytes to offer some free subscription time. I appreciate the honestly and getting this fixed fairly quickly, although I was surprised the support site was offline when the issue occurred.

Edited by Chancer
Grammar, oops

This issue took down half my domain joined PCs.  Whatever the problem was it was causing the login process to fail.  Only way to fix was to boot into safe mode disable the services reboot and log back in and uninstall the product. Not to be reinstalled...SMH.  Anyone else with similar problems as me?

Just now, Bob_b said:

There seems to be a pattern developing here which validates my decision to wait before re-installing the software.

Older systems with less RAM are not as resiliant to the fix as the super fast machines with 16GB plus of RAM.  In the time it takes to get the update, even if you are super fast with mouse and keyboard, an older system will have all its RAM taken by the rogue process.

My machines are older ones, hence I will wait till a proper distributable which post dates the patch is available on the site - till then I will just wait and use alternatives.

Exactly! Plus we (most of us) have paid for this product. We shouldn't have to download, update (hope that we don't crash) and reboot. The fixed program should be available right now through the primary web page and on our accounts page. By leaving up the old problematic software any new user can download it and then have problems, is that what you want Malwarebytes to be known for?

2 minutes ago, Chancer said:

I'm not sure if there is any kind of service level agreement, but I think it would certainly be a nice gesture for Malwarebytes to offer some free subscription time as a gesture. I appreciate the honestly and getting this fixed fairly quickly, although I was surprised the support site was offline when the issue occurred.

Most SLA's would be around 99% availability - 6 hours out (given 8760 hours/year) isnt even close - I wouldn't hold your breath for free subscription time based on this one incident.

1 minute ago, djcrimmy said:

it wont even let me update just insta crash how about you fix this issue before it damages someones pc

Uninstall it for now, if you cant patch it.  The more times you beat your head against this, the more frustrated you will get and the more likely it is that YOU will do damage to your PC.  Just bite the bullet and wait for this all to stabilise.  If you break your PC by fighting a battle you cannot win, whose fault would that be ?

4 minutes ago, GaryRK said:

Exactly! Plus we (most of us) have paid for this product. We shouldn't have to download, update (hope that we don't crash) and reboot. The fixed program should be available right now through the primary web page and on our accounts page. By leaving up the old problematic software any new user can download it and then have problems, is that what you want Malwarebytes to be known for?

They've left the faulty software up? I knew it wasn't working when I tried it, but this strikes me as a pretty big oversight to make...

1 hour ago, X-Ray said:

Hello from Northern Germany,

that's my problem, too.

A lot of people are angry with me now and I have a lot of work to do on my free weekend. :angry:

OK, it's happend but please you really need to make sure this does not happen again.

Hi back at ya from Florida, what a day. Spent the entire day on this issue. I suspect this will hit the news and my past thoughts on  "relax Malwarebytes is active"  days are over. Today they became the nightmare for many. The only positive I see is the amount of new registering on the forum boards today, not sure that is a good thing though .Mine is uninstalled, I'll see what happens before deciding to reinstall in the future.

I haven't tried this and it may or may not be in this thread.

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2018/01/important-web-blocking-ram-usage/

For our consumer solutions

Please follow the steps below on how to update to the latest database:

1. Open Malwarebytes
2. Turn OFF web protection by Clicking on “settings”, click to turn web protection OFF
3. Under Scan Status (right side), click next to “Updates” to have Malwarebytes download the latest database
4. Restart PC
(Note it may take up to 2 restarts after the update to stabilize the system)

To confirm that you are on the latest database please follow the steps below:

1. Open Malwarebytes
2. Click on Settings
3. Click on the About tab
4. Next to “Update package version” if you see version 1.0.3803 or higher you are on the latest database which addresses the issue.

If the above doesn’t resolve the issue, please reach out to support at support@malwarebytes.com.

For our business solutions

Please follow the appropriate steps below to update to the latest database:

Malwarebytes Endpoint Security (On-premises)

First step to get the update is to disable the real-time protection. To do this in the Management console:

1. Open up the policy the clients are on and go to the protection tab.
2. From here, disable the ‘enable protection module’ option.
3. Once this is done click OK. When your clients check in they will get this new policy update.
4. Once real-time is protection is disabled and your clients can communicate, highlight the endpoints on the client screen and click the update database button at the top.
5. After the update is applied, a reboot of the machine may be required.

Note: If your client cannot resolve internal addressing, then re-installing the agent manually on the machine will need to be done. The client will not be able to reach out to the server for a policy update and will never be able to turn off the real-time protection.

Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection (Cloud)

1. From the Malwarebytes Cloud console, go to the endpoints pane and select all the endpoints.
2. In the action drop-down, choose the ‘check for protection updates’ option to force an update on all endpoints to database update 1.0.3803.

This should fix the problem for the vast majority of Endpoint Protection endpoints.

If endpoints are still affected after applying this, please reboot the machine.

If the remote agent is unable to reach out and get this update, then we must disable the web protection:

1. In the Malwarebytes Cloud console, Go to the settings> policies> and open up the policy the clients are on.
2. From here, go to the endpoint protection policy and turn off the “Web Protection” portion of the policy. Then:

a. If the machine is unresponsive, reboot the machine and log in.

b. Once in, right click on the tray icon and start a scan. This will force a database update and fix the issue.

c. Once updated, cancel the scan and reboot the machine.

3. When the computers are all online and updated, please turn back on the web protection again in the Endpoint Policy.

If the above doesn’t resolve the issue, please reach out to support at corporate-support@malwarebytes.com

The root cause of the issue was a malformed protection update that the client couldn’t process correctly. We have pushed upwards of 20,000 of these protection updates routinely. We test every single one before it goes out. We pride ourselves on the safety and accuracy of our detection engines and will work to ensure that this does not happen again.

Getting your computer or business back up and running is our utmost priority, as is rebuilding your trust.