IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage

7 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

If the CEO is monitoring replies here, then I will repost my comment from the other thread:

This bug absolutely wrecked my parents' computer. They are non-technical adults who could not debug a problem like this on their own. Fortunately, I was visiting and able to address the issue for them.

I cannot risk a recurrence of this issue when I am out of town. For all intents and purposes, my parents' computer would be completely disabled. This is PRECISELY the type of event I bought Malwarebytes to avoid. As a professional software engineer, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the apparent lack of testing and QA that enabled this defective launch. I am cancelling my parents' subscription and it will never be renewed. Malwarebytes has lost 3 customers forever.

|  As a professional software engineer....

If this is your reaction to a software bug, I really doubt you're a software engineer.  Things happen. 

| This is PRECISELY the type of event I bought Malwarebytes to avoid

You bought Malwarebytes to prevent software bugs?

Quit complaining 

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Mach1Padilla said:

Free year for 3 computers license would rebuild my trust :)

Three free years for all of their customers is a pretty unreasonable ask.  It would essentially kill their revenue stream the next three years.  If we want MBAM to keep being developed they need the funds.  I'd think a 3 or  6 month extension is more reasonable.

Just now, dpcurley said:

Is there away to verify that the fix has been loaded? Also does this fix apply to Business and Home version customers?

Both versions seem to be effected but the Home version doesn't have the MBAM service.

Thanks

Open MBAM, click settings on the left.  Then the about tab on the top.  Check that the update package version is 1.0.3803 or higher.

• Staff

If you are still having problems - Please rightclick the Malwarebytes tray icon and select to disable Web-protection.

Then also via the system tray icon, select to quit Malwarebytes.

Then relaunch malwarebytes again. This should now have webprotection disabled.

Then open Malwarebytes and let it check for updates. Once it has downloaded the update (at least database version 3803 or higher), you can enable the webprotection again.

2 minutes ago, xmonster said:

|  As a professional software engineer....

If this is your reaction to a software bug, I really doubt you're a software engineer.  Things happen. 

| This is PRECISELY the type of event I bought Malwarebytes to avoid

You bought Malwarebytes to prevent software bugs?

Quit complaining 

When's the last time Apple, despite all their quality problems lately, bricked all their users' computers? How about Microsoft? Google?

I have considerable tolerance for odd application behavior, crashing and restarting applications, or anything short of system-halting showstoppers. This was the latter. Malwarebytes has lost my trust, and the risk/reward of remaining a customer seems poor. I'm sorry if you feel the need to attack my choice or become defensive.

8 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

If the CEO is monitoring replies here, then I will repost my comment from the other thread:

This bug absolutely wrecked my parents' computer. They are non-technical adults who could not debug a problem like this on their own. Fortunately, I was visiting and able to address the issue for them.

I cannot risk a recurrence of this issue when I am out of town. For all intents and purposes, my parents' computer would be completely disabled. This is PRECISELY the type of event I bought Malwarebytes to avoid. As a professional software engineer, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the apparent lack of testing and QA that enabled this defective launch. I am cancelling my parents' subscription and it will never be renewed. Malwarebytes has lost 3 customers forever.

@BuckyBadger, being a great company is not about not making mistakes! it is to admit you screwed up and fix the issue and learn from it.... MS screwed up many times, Apple screwed up many times, Intel screwed up and cant even fix the damn issue! Everyone can make mistakes, and as a software engineer you are this childish, i pity your company you are working at... Sometimes mistakes arent really mistakes, it is that people dont oversee every thing... or accidental mistakes happen unintentionally before you start a war these kind of mistakes are unforgivable bs, learn the first rule of success, Make Mistakes!

Thank you for the update; however, while necessary, it is not sufficient to regain our trust.  For that, we need to understand HOW a malformed protection update was distributed without testing (or, worse yet, how the testing process did not detect a horrendously-disruptive flaw), and WHAT Malwarebytes will do to ensure that this CANNOT happen again.  

Obviously you cannot explain this at a level of detail that compromises your product's methods of operation, but you need to cover the above two topics substantially enough that we can trust that this type of error has gone from "very rare" to "impossible."  

Thanks for listening.  

Just now, BuckyBadger said:

When's the last time Apple, despite all their quality problems lately, bricked all their users' computers? How about Microsoft? Google?

I have considerable tolerance for odd application behavior, crashing and restarting applications, or anything short of system-halting showstoppers. This was the latter. Malwarebytes has lost my trust, and the risk/reward of remaining a customer seems poor. I'm sorry if you feel the need to attack my choice or become defensive.

MS recently pushed an update that disabled USB printers, and another recent update caused boot loops!

Apple constantly makes mistakes, and call them features or intended purpose! 

20 minutes ago, rjsattler said:

With ya there. My Surface is pretty much hosed at the moment, using 100% cpu and the RAM usage is going up (never seen it run away like it is now). Restarted multiple times, no update. I can't even get the program to work right at this moment, much less having it brick the UI. What a wasted morning so far. And none of my PC's are seeing any update, pushed or not...

Looks like its fixed ... Big Thanks !!!

After updating to 1.0.3803, be sure to quit Malwarebytes and restart it.  This will insure that Real-Time protection turned back on and excessive memory usage went back to normal.  Without the restart after the update, the problem remained.  All is good now.  Thanks for the quick turn-around time. 

15 minutes ago, rjsattler said:

With ya there. My Surface is pretty much hosed at the moment, using 100% cpu and the RAM usage is going up (never seen it run away like it is now). Restarted multiple times, no update. I can't even get the program to work right at this moment, much less having it brick the UI. What a wasted morning so far. And none of my PC's are seeing any update, pushed or not...

So sorry to hear that, you said it perfectly "hosed" sounds like this really trashed our Surface Pro's, mine was not usable at all until I uninstalled Malwarebytes. I'm going to use my windows defender until I see a lot more posts that this issue has been fixed. Luckily I wrote down my activation code, maybe when I do reinstall it will be ok. I feel bad for the guys, they have been awesome for so long, having said that, I now have to go to an elderly ladies house to try to fix her computer, I am not a tech support person so this is disappointing, to say the least. I hope Malwarebytes will extend our subscriptions at no charge or try to provide some incentive to continue for customers who were affected. Time is money for us all

9 minutes ago, JimPivonka said:

Just as I was going to enter the version and update information for this Windows10 MBytes install the machine halted, again. Rebooting has resulted in what appears to be a clean Malwarebytes install.  

Still worried about having been forced, many times, to reenter 'very strong' password selection attempts to register for this forum.

I entered so many of these password, so many times, all resulting in 'passwords do not match' error messages, that I have no idea which one finally worked or what my password now is.  Crap.  LOL, we die strangled in our own security.